New bests at LVD today

Old 10-18-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thumbs up New bests at LVD today

It was a great day for racing today and I got some new bests (slight headwind, low 50s temp-wise on the timeslips, and decent track prep, which was unusual for LVD). My last time out was a rental where I ran about eight 11.9s and squeaked out one 11.89 with a best trap of 117.45 and a best 60' of 1.67. Being that it was about 10 degrees colder, I figured I might see a slightly better trap but would have no traction and therefore would see similar or worse ETs. I was totally wrong.

First run out (of three total) it grabbed hard and got me a new best 60' of 1.628, then I cleared the traps at 117.25 and hit a new best ET of 11.781. We ended up waiting about three hours for our next run because it was packed and some stuff broke, but when I got to the line I did a nice smokey burnout and busted out another new best of 11.740 at 117.19 with a 1.667 60'. My last run I was happy so I decided to try something new: dumping the clutch at 6500 RPM. Unfortunately I didn't hook up too well, went sideways a bit, and ended up running a little slower (11.82 at 117.38 with a 1.69 60') but at least now I know that if I want to do this again, I either have to tweak the suspension some more, which I planned on doing and forgot to, or get some better tires, as in the 28" straight up slick kind.

I was pretty happy with the day and even on the 6500 launch it felt like it wanted to grab (and still sixty footed a 1.69) so I just need to tweak a few things. I think it's capable of an 11.6 at LVD with either better traction or if I decide to powershift (which I haven't at all yet at the track). It's certainly capable of much better at E-town or Atco, which would also give me a higher trap, but 3-4 hours is a long drive, so I'll stick with LVD until I get the itch for an 11.5 run.

Also, I might add that I am ridiculously consistent with this car. Once I make my first run on any given day, the only reason I don't run that exact same time to the tenth and mph is if I try something new or there's a drastic weather change. But that's what I like about the M6: there's always something new to try.

SUMMARY
New best ET: 11.74
New best 60': 1.62
Traps pretty much the same as last time out
Car is consistent as hell for an M6
Old 10-18-2008, 08:40 PM
Internet Mechanic

Joe, you really have come around with that car, congratz. I am very proud of you. Ron needs to get his *** in gear. Bottle or not.

I need to do some stuff too, so who am I to say anything lol.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great runs Joe! I still think it will 60' in the 1.5's once you get it all straightned out suspension wise
Old 10-19-2008, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks, Aaron.

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Great runs Joe! I still think it will 60' in the 1.5's once you get it all straightned out suspension wise
Yeah, I meant to adjust the lower control arms down to the lower setting on the relocation brackets, but I half forgot, half ran out of time with band stuff, so I guess that's for another day. I think I'll need to borrow some wrenches to do so because I don't think we have big enough ones here. Maybe we can do it one day when we both have off. It should only take a few minutes.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:46 AM

I think they are 18mm bolts. I've got the wrenches to change them. We gotta start getting you a more complete tool kit
Old 10-19-2008, 08:11 PM
Internet Mechanic

Jay and I just put mine up from the lowest by one hole. Just incase.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
I think they are 18mm bolts. I've got the wrenches to change them. We gotta start getting you a more complete tool kit
Yeah, maybe you could bring them over tonight and we can swap them real quick if you and Sean are coming to clean up the cars (mine badly needs to be washed and waxed again after the claybarring). If you bring the wrenches, it should only take a couple minutes to do the swap.
Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Jay and I just put mine up from the lowest by one hole. Just incase.
Just in case what? Mine only have two holes, the upper one and the lower one, I believe. They've been on the upper one since I installed them but I've been wanting to try the lower one to see if it makes a difference. It would seem to me that the point of the relocation brackets is to get them set lower so that the weigh will push down at more of an angle on the rear, less level with the ground. On the current setting, the control arms are slightly more level with the ground and I can't see how that would HELP make the tires bite.

After the rental day and the other day, plus a ton of street driving, I really know how well it hooks as is, so now it's time to try the lower setting and see if it makes a difference. It's an easy enough swap so we'll find out. I was even thinking about getting down to E-town or Atco before the end of the year for some new PB runs (although I've been doing it everytime I go to LVD, so maybe there's no need ).
Old 10-20-2008, 10:31 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Just in case what? Mine only have two holes, the upper one and the lower one, I believe. They've been on the upper one since I installed them but I've been wanting to try the lower one to see if it makes a difference. It would seem to me that the point of the relocation brackets is to get them set lower so that the weigh will push down at more of an angle on the rear, less level with the ground. On the current setting, the control arms are slightly more level with the ground and I can't see how that would HELP make the tires bite.

After the rental day and the other day, plus a ton of street driving, I really know how well it hooks as is, so now it's time to try the lower setting and see if it makes a difference. It's an easy enough swap so we'll find out. I was even thinking about getting down to E-town or Atco before the end of the year for some new PB runs (although I've been doing it everytime I go to LVD, so maybe there's no need ).
Technically there are 3 holes but the Relocation backets, often people put a bolt in there, line it up with the correct position and weld it on.

I put mine up one.

My car, due to weight, power xfer and everything else HITS very hard and I smoke my unit. I will figure out what setup i'll be using next season and with that set up I will be trying to get that rear to be not has hard hit as it was this last 2 track outings.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

Hmm, I think some shocks will do you good. Jay keeps trying to talk me into getting them, but I think you need them much worse than I do after seeing how that bump stop hits your rear end over the axles. I think Ron and I are going to adjust the lower control arms on mine tonight if we get a few minutes. It's easy enough, so I might as well give it a shot to see if it helps while I have some solid track numbers to compare it with.

5000 RPM seems to be about as high as I can launch without destroying the tires if the track is prepped well and I do a good second gear burnout, but I'd LOVE to be able to dump it at 6000-6500 like I attempted on my last run. If I can get it to bite hard from 6000-6500, I should see a 1.5 60' and 11.5-11.6 run on a good day, even at LVD.

It's kind of scary that I'm only making 400rwhp and my torque is a joke, yet I'm creeping up on needing a roll cage right now and should have it right on the edge when I get everything sorted out and perhaps put a REAL slick on the car. Imagine if I had a high end H/C setup like I want to get eventually?
Old 10-23-2008, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs up nice!

Nice runs man, must be exciting when you know theres more left in her. Thats a sick 60ft!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New bests at LVD today