Opening day: car still seems down on power (updated post 5/12/14)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 09:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Opening day: car still seems down on power (updated post 5/12/14)

Went to opening day yesterday. Good news is the 400ft DA is the best we will probably get there all year. Bad news is that the track was green and slick as snot so 60ft was out the window even at half throttle...

My best traps all day though were 91mph 1/8th and 113mph 1/4 in 465ft DA.

This is down from my bests last year of 94mph 1/8th and 114.5 1/4 in 840ft DA.

Car has brand new valvesprings, plugs, and oil change. Wasn't able to log passes due to dead computer battery.

I noticed one o2 sensor has been switching slow so I am going to try replacing those and cleaning the MAF really well. Past that I'm running out of ideas where to look for the lost power unless the engine is just getting a little tired.

The trans was rebuilt but it was built the same as before except for the addition of the HD 2-3 shift valve which allows you to run in 3rd and it holds the over run clutches on. I tried a pass in OD yesterday which will leave them off just to make sure they were robbing power, but the car went slower that way.

I did smoke test the engine while the valvesprings were off and there is 100% no vacuum leak or I'm sure 6psi of smoke would have found it.

The car feels really strong on the street and can't be missing much, but I would like to get back to where it was at least. Best ET before was a pair of 11.67 and 11.68, based on my times and traps yesterday I don't think it would have gone faster than 11.85 even if it had hooked.

Last edited by thunderstruck507; 05-12-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would like to think it would mph better if the track was good but i dunno. I would just make sure the tune is spot on and make some runs when the track is good and go from there.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:08 AM
11 Second Club

New Denso o2 sensors are on the way. I know the last time I did logging my idle fuel trims which were at 2-3% after my last tune touch up have climbed to 10.3-10.5%. So I'm thinking either them or the MAF is have an issue with fueling. I will be putting the wide band back on the car once the new sensors are in.

I am also considering a compression and leakdown, when the heads went on there was one exhaust valve that almost didn't want to lap in correctly and I'm wondering if that one small spot on it might not have become a hot spot that affected sealing? (this might be a stretch, I'm just trying to think of anything possible)

I had the same thought about the track, I know people say if you spin it can actually improve MPH, but I am not sure if that is still true if you have to pedal the car as bad as I was or if it only applies to spinning while maintaining WOT. I was literally having to lift 100% to get the car to shift into 2nd then quickly roll into it once it shifted and hooked so that it didn't downshift back to first. This might be where the problem is more than anything.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
New Denso o2 sensors are on the way. I know the last time I did logging my idle fuel trims which were at 2-3% after my last tune touch up have climbed to 10.3-10.5%. So I'm thinking either them or the MAF is have an issue with fueling. I will be putting the wide band back on the car once the new sensors are in.

I am also considering a compression and leakdown, when the heads went on there was one exhaust valve that almost didn't want to lap in correctly and I'm wondering if that one small spot on it might not have become a hot spot that affected sealing? (this might be a stretch, I'm just trying to think of anything possible)

I had the same thought about the track, I know people say if you spin it can actually improve MPH, but I am not sure if that is still true if you have to pedal the car as bad as I was or if it only applies to spinning while maintaining WOT. I was literally having to lift 100% to get the car to shift into 2nd then quickly roll into it once it shifted and hooked so that it didn't downshift back to first. This might be where the problem is more than anything.
The last part i think is what the issue is but im not really sure about it. The wideband will definately help you figure it out. I would run the wide band and test on both sides if you keep having problems. I think that would help you tell if the exhaust valve is causing a problem on that one side.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pedaling the car wont do the MPH any favors.

If you are going to test the motor, a leakdown test is superior. You can listen to where any leakdown is coming from. All a compression test does is wear the battery down, and run the rings up and down the dry cylinders.

Good luck with it.

Al
Old 02-21-2014, 10:29 AM
11 Second Club

sounds good I will see about trying that it I don't find something after new o2 sensors or in the tune
Old 02-21-2014, 11:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Need to figure out what the converter effeciency is. So what RPM are you finishing at, and in what gear. Maybe the converter is not helping.

You need to borrow some slicks from someone, and see what it does without spinning.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

What's the part number on the densos you purchased? I am looking for the four wire flat with a wire long enough to reach my header bung.

Also, I think your problem was the track. Had you spent more time WOT I think your results would've been where you were expecting.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:07 PM
11 Second Club

I bought: DENSO OXYGEN SENSOR 234-4087

There was a bulk wholesaler on Ebay selling them for $56/pair shipped they just won't come in factory boxes.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:13 AM
Staging Lane

hopefully you get it figured out , in october i switch my maf and my car dropped .5mph in the 1/8 and 2mph in the 1/4 i didnt think it would change anything but switched them back and mph went back up next track visit.. i dont have tuning software that would've helped me . just thought i would share my experience .
by the way, your car is pretty bad ***!!
Old 02-26-2014, 08:36 AM
11 Second Club

New o2 sensors are in and now the car surges at idle constantly. Let it do a quick idle relearn and it still does it.

Haven't had a chance to see why yet but that's fairly frustrating. Hoping it's something as simple as the having received recent idle adjustments in the tune on the old sensors and redoing it with the new ones will correct it.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:18 PM
TECH Regular

Could it be the E-bay sensors? You mentioned they didn't come in factory boxes.

What is the A/F ratio when it's surging?

Al
Old 02-26-2014, 01:36 PM
11 Second Club

Haven't checked it yet. The sensors have no indication they are not Bosch sensors as they are built exactly the same and have the correct logos and part numbers in the metal.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:22 AM
11 Second Club

well got burned for the first time I guess, the car now has codes for both sensors and they are not switching more than 30-40 units, going to return them and get some replacements from Advance
Old 02-27-2014, 01:23 PM
TECH Regular

Damn, that sucks. Hopefully you can return them okay.

Al
Old 03-12-2014, 08:35 AM
11 Second Club

Well, I don't know for sure I found the problem...but this damn sure wasn't helping anything (the silver spot is where I touched it with my finger):

NOTE I do run a Saxon screen but I popped it out to inspect the sensor, it was put back in after it was also cleaned (it wasn't nearly this dirty for some reason)

After a good cleaning:

It seems like it might have been partially dirty the last time I touched up the tune because now that it is clean my fuel trims are nearly always at negative 13-15%.

Got that cleaned and also installed new Denso o2 sensors which look to be switching great. Now I need to run through the tune to get all my trims back in line and see what she does. Also going to see if I can do a speed density tune for it and see if it speeds up any at the track with nothing but a velocity cone on the throttle body.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:38 AM
11 Second Club

Ended up just correcting the tune.

Went back to the track Friday night and it was still a little slick but on 2 passes I was able to do a quick roll into WOT and cut some low 1.8 60fts. Still only ran a 7.7@91 1/8th and 12.1@112 1/4. DA was ~1650ft.

So it's still down a bit but not quite as bad it seems.

I did do a compression test and came up with 185 lowest, 200 highest, and all the others were 195.

Don't currently have the tool to do a leakdown but I'm going to try to get one.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:02 AM
11 Second Club

My fuel system setup would get some "naughty" finger shakes from people because I have a pre filter then my Walbro then the corvette filter/regulator. I do this because it seems there is a LOT of dirty fuel around here.

Pulled the pre filter (large fuel filter for a 05 Mustang GT) and it was difficult to blow through, replaced it and the fuel pump is audibly less strained on prime.

Thinking it might have been partially obstructed last time I did my touch up tune, going to go over it again to double check fuel trims and WOT afr.

I was a little mistaken on my DA calculations as I had accidentally used them for AM instead of PM. The car was actually only around 1.5mph slow DA corrected. I'm also wondering if since my car sucks up hot engine bay air anyway if it just dislikes high humidity DA more than high DA caused by temperature. The other day we had cool air but 85% humidity...the car might just run better with hot air and low humidity.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:45 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Did you degree in the cam? Just went through that mess myself searching for lost power. My better new setup this year was running slower than my junk setup last year. Cam was way retarded dot to dot. Its a different animal now.

Good luck!
Old 05-20-2014, 08:44 AM
11 Second Club

I could not (long story short even if I had degreed it the car had to go back together) but it ran great with the cam as is. Just in between Spring and Fall of last year it started slowing down.

I changed the fuel filter and it was hard to blow through so I'm going to hope that was part of it, need to check air/fuel again and see if it's still on or needs to be touched up.

Quick Reply: Opening day: car still seems down on power (updated post 5/12/14)