Cam only 5.3 runs 11.28 @119.33 (278k bone stock 4.8 swapped out, best of 12.45 @109)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 04:07 PM
Teching In

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2011grandsport
That's pretty good for what you have done to it. It sounds like your converter is too tight for that set up. If you are pushing through the light at or above 2,000 rpm's then the converter is not stalling at the rated 3600-3800. I have read on here where some guys have had to go to a higher stall due to the engine combination. Torque of the engine is what stalls the converter basically and with a light car the converter will not stall at it's rated number. What did it stall to when flashing the converter from an idle? That will tell you instantly you are not getting all the stall from your converter.
It sounds though your are planning to go forced induction so the converter you have may work better with that set up.
I honestly can't remember what it would flash to as I only tried it one night for a handful of times and all I know is that my 60' was garbage on those passes compared to foot braking it, about a consistent tenth of a second difference. the converter definitely is a little tight for the weight of the car but I was running the stock TH400 converter from a box truck that the tranny came from and needed a cheap pick me up and this was the highest stall converter I could get without getting into the good stuff (saving all the money for next years turbo set up with transbrake, launch control, and all the other goodies) but this converter did take of over half a second with the old motor which was nice to see. This year was really just a throw away year for ***** and giggles to be honest, something fun to do while waiting for the off season to get serious, but I kind of got carried away (not the first time lol).
Thanks for the input!
The following users liked this post:
Squeezer (12-14-2019)
Old 09-01-2017, 08:23 AM
Teching In

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My buddy just gave me a 5000 stall 9" nitrous converter to try out. I know on motor that stall number drops a bit but I have to imagine it'll be better than my 10" jegs 3600-3800 converter that stalls at about 2K... any suggestions/predictions? Probably 2 weeks out until my next track day but I'll get this thing in on Monday and see how it feels on the foot brake and flashing in the driveway.
The following users liked this post:
Squeezer (12-14-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 06:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rayzor Rigzz
My buddy just gave me a 5000 stall 9" nitrous converter to try out. I know on motor that stall number drops a bit but I have to imagine it'll be better than my 10" jegs 3600-3800 converter that stalls at about 2K... any suggestions/predictions? Probably 2 weeks out until my next track day but I'll get this thing in on Monday and see how it feels on the foot brake and flashing in the driveway.
What did she end up running with the higher stall

Quick Reply: Cam only 5.3 runs 11.28 @119.33 (278k bone stock 4.8 swapped out, best of 12.45 @109)