LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Drag Racing Results (https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-results-85/)
-   -   All motor 4.8 record? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-results/1901547-all-motor-4-8-record.html)

Nashcar07 06-30-2018 03:52 AM

All motor 4.8 record?

Greetings and salad toppings ladies and gents.

Ive been doing a lot of searching but I can’t seem to find any sort of 4.8 all motor record anywhere on the net. I know it probably sounds strange and you’re not wrong. Who would spend the time and money to even attempt to set a NA 4.8 record? Well, I’m thinking me as long as it’s not something ridiculous like low 10’s or 9’s in the 1/4 mile.

I currently have a 4.8 sitting on a pallet and a trusty rusty s10 sitting next to my garage. So the real question is why not? The motor suffered a lifter failure in its past life of pushing a delivery van around. So it’s going to get cleaned up and some new bearings because it’s cheap.

Yes I could just make it a 5.3 or boost it. But that’s what everyone does. I’m not looking to build a 9 second truck. But something fun that I can flog on the track and do some wicked cool burnouts, that’s the goal. Fast is fun, but an all motor 4.8 leaving off a transbrake and lifting the front wheels... Well that’s just silly.. And silly is me in a nutshell.

stockA4 07-13-2018 12:09 AM

Go for it!

Check out my post in this same section, I've got a completely stock 3600lb 2002 z28 camaro that i swapped a 4.8 into for fun. I've been dailying this one for over two years now and I absolutely love it. It's gone 14.3@104 with the stock 4L60e trans and 2.73 gears still in place. I'm going to swap them out soon though for either a 3.73 or 4.10 and see what that does for it. I think a 4.56 would probably be ideal for drag duty but the car sees a lot of highway use so I'm hesitant to gear it too low and would rather compromise a little.

The 4.8 is an awesome little engine and should be capable of some really respectable times in a lighter chassis like your S10 with a properly matched gear and converter behind it. Don't be afraid to rev the snot out of it either. Mine pulls really hard from 4-7k with its little 212/218 115lsa cam and ls6 springs. It also sounds really really good (like nothing else, its awesome) with stock manifolds and a magnaflow muffler. I get compliments on the "growl" all the time.

Have fun with it man. I've all but almost forgotten about the 6.0 shortblock I've got sitting on the stand here I was planning to put in once I got tired of it, the 4.8 is a "cooler" powerplant imo.

​​​​​​

Romulus22 08-25-2018 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Nashcar07 (Post 19922790)
Who would spend the time and money to even attempt to set a NA 4.8 record? Well, I’m thinking me as long as it’s not something ridiculous like low 10’s or 9’s in the 1/4 mile.

If you’re shooting for a record I wouldn’t call low 10’s high 9’s ridiculous. Aim high. Those numbers seem easily achievable with goals of setting a record or benchmarking a record. Who wants to set a record that’s easily broken.

Mr.Bu 08-26-2018 08:16 PM

Keep the s10 super light and be ready to wind that thing high imo. Should be a fun project.