First Time to the Track with my 95

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts
Default First Time to the Track with my 95

So first off, this was my first time ever being behind the steering wheel of a car going down the track. I've built this car with the intention to run it on the drag strip and around town. I'll try to list out my combo if people can't see it in my signature. Basic drive train is a blueprint 427 sbc long block that made 547tr 542hp at the crank on their dyno with an 850 cfm carb and a single plane. In my car it currently has 750cfm holley DP and a bow tie vortec style single plane intake (heads are drilled for both patterns,) hooker long tubes, to a modified LS car SLP y and single 3" all the way back. Goes through a th350 with about a 2200 converter to a s60 with 3.55 gears and 295/55r15 ET streets. Car has Strano springs, koni st.rt on the front and used yellows on the rear, spohn tunel mount and panhard par, BMR LCA's in the lowest spot on the rear. I've taken a bunch of weight out of the car, no HVAC, no radio, custom gauges, no back seat, no abs, manual brakes, power steering still, electric water pump, relocated battery, 6 point mild steel roll bar, cut the insulation and most of the sound deadening out of the car, removed both airbags and most if not all of the modules for that and other un-used items. Haven't gotten to a scale yet but hopefully later this week I can get a weight. Any other info needed just ask and I'll toss it in here.

So here are my time slips, this was Friday at mason dixon in MD. If I looked it up right DA was between 2300 and 2100 between 7-10pm when we were running. The track was very sticky and I never spun taking off, I have videos I'll try to attach if they come through clear. I borough the car up on the converter on the first run to about 21-2200 and shifted at 6k. The next two I brought it up as far as I though I could with out pushing through the brakes and shifted at 6500. Before the third run we checked and bumped timing from 8*initial 32 all in to 14* initial and 34 all in, the finish line is hard to see and it was dark so I know i lifted about 20-40 feet too early as evident by the time vs speed. So, what do you all think, I'm currently looking for a bigger carb, and possibly a traditional SBC single plane to get my overall height down to run a non drop base and taller than a 2" tall air cleaner, I do have an open element lid on it.

Last edited by biketopia; 06-11-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Initial thoughts is I’d jump to atleast a 3600 stall if not more converter .. still have street manners
Old 06-11-2019, 10:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,785 Likes on 1,293 Posts

There's more to that 427 then what's on paper I assure you. I set my ring gap for a 200 shot but its been all motor as of right now but I've made six passes on the car with my last being my personal best of 11.81 at 125mph. I didn't do a good burnout and launched the car at 2500 and she spun but I managed to gather it up and pass my buddy on the big end with his 468 BBC powered Chevelle that was pinned to the floor as I blew by him at a 1000 ft... The look on his face...OMG...Priceless!
Old 06-12-2019, 05:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z28241
Initial thoughts is I’d jump to atleast a 3600 stall if not more converter .. still have street manners
Yea, that's my initial thought too, is I need more converter. I was going to take the slips and engine info up to my trans guy after I weigh the car and see what he thought. The converter that's in it is one I got for free from a buddy who pulled it outta his car so I don't know a whole lot about it. I kind of intended to go nitrous on this build but I definitely want to get it sorted out NA before hand.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Went and talked to my trans guy and we are going to change up the converter. He's been doing race stuff for 30+ years and is pretty sure he has a converter at his house for another project that would work great for me so he's going to look for it. Once I know what it is I'll post up some info and see when I can make the next TnT. Going to weigh the car tomorrow for ***** and grins, we have a truck scale at our treatment plant. Picked up a tubular k member and manual rack this week off Facebook Market so that will take even more off the front end.