bottle + sticky track = BOOM! lmao!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 09:44 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default bottle + sticky track = BOOM! lmao!!!

well, got the bottle in the car and finally got to the track, car is running well. i idled the heck out of the car in the staging lanes for my first would be pass, to the point when i launched it nitrous didn't even come on!

after one more failed attempt goto pits swap with clean plugs head back up.
did a very nice burnout!
track is nice and sticky now..... heat up the slicks line up 5300 or so release of clutch pedal and whammo!!! holy toledo! the launch was just beginning, it was so hard that it, popped my face plate off. popped the lighter bezel out and popped open the glove box. at approximately .01 seconds later the ring and pinion exploded!

oh well it was nice to get the car back out, now do i go with the pro race gears or still the street ones? can i drive pro race gears on the street?

i just have to yank the torque arm and centersection at this point, not too much left to do. should be interesting when i pull the centersection out. i mean i had about 75 - 80 passes on this ring and pinion.

till next time!
Old 05-01-2005, 11:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

well, what did it 60 ft or it didnt even coast that far?
Old 05-02-2005, 07:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by taner
well, got the bottle in the car and finally got to the track, car is running well. i idled the heck out of the car in the staging lanes for my first would be pass, to the point when i launched it nitrous didn't even come on!

after one more failed attempt goto pits swap with clean plugs head back up.
did a very nice burnout!
track is nice and sticky now..... heat up the slicks line up 5300 or so release of clutch pedal and whammo!!! holy toledo! the launch was just beginning, it was so hard that it, popped my face plate off. popped the lighter bezel out and popped open the glove box. at approximately .01 seconds later the ring and pinion exploded!

oh well it was nice to get the car back out, now do i go with the pro race gears or still the street ones? can i drive pro race gears on the street?

i just have to yank the torque arm and centersection at this point, not too much left to do. should be interesting when i pull the centersection out. i mean i had about 75 - 80 passes on this ring and pinion.

till next time!

Yes you can drive pro gears on the street.

Mike
Old 05-02-2005, 10:10 AM
8 Second Club

You don't want to drive Pro Gears on the street. They're not made for that. You can do it but you're gonna heat them up and mess them up.

P.S. I have summit brand street gears ($120) along with my 31 spline axles.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Taner,

I laughed my *** off when I read "whammo!! holy toledo" and then pictured the madness of a carnival ride gone bad. Crazy stuff right there.

Get her fixed and send back some reports.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:16 PM

my axles are 35 spline, thanks for the offer. and i already picked up the street gears, oh well i guess i will be changing them yearly, lol!!!!

hopefully back together soon and when time allows back to the track. gotta business to get up and running now!

rick,

same thing DTS told me, so i opted not to bother, i put too many miles on the car each year to be bothered with pro gears.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Veteran

hehe, welcome to the club, i just did it last week also, 10psi cold tires 6500 launch and well, you get the idea, same noise and a beautiful ring and pinion for a trophy. i had the strange prostreet gears and had 100 passes and few thousand street miles on them, what brand are you running cause im debating on what to go back with, i know pro gears will last 4 times as long but i still wanna drive around town some, i have no use for a trailer queen.

like you said, guess i have to change them atleast once a year now.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:56 PM
7 Second Club

Bummer Taner!

FWIW, a buddy of mine that used to have a 68 Olds Cutlass that regularly hung the wheels pretty high (lotta abuse on the rear end) and still drove the car somewhat on the street with street gears, had problems with cracking teeth on the ring/pinion gears. He had Richmond heat-treat a set of gears and they seemed to last longer than un-treated.

Hope you get her fixed and back down the strip soon!

Derek
Old 05-02-2005, 10:10 PM

us gear is what i bought, i may wait to freeze them, but we'll see. i am never that patient. ha ha!

i'll get her back down the track a few weeks, ready to go for the bottle.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:26 PM
Banned

Dang bro,that sucks I brokedamn near every tooth on the ring gear at Hattisburg last year trying to get my 9 N\A . I am surprised it was still able to make a pass,making a bunch of clunking.

Juast a tease taste for ya You will be soon.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:49 PM

lol! thanks Alan, I have a new goal,get business started.... then june 5/6 is a small event that we'll be attending. so i will see about having it ready for that. i also broke the top arm of the torque arm bracket(that bolts to the 9") and bent the heads of 3/4 inch bolts. i think it is safe to say the car is making some power!! lmao!!!

i am freezinf both the ring and pinion and the torque arm bracket from moser, and even the bolts!

i hope to have an et / no broke post next month!
Old 05-05-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

we hope so too!