HELP...Car not running what it should?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP...Car not running what it should?!?!

Ok you drag racing pros out there I need your opinion/advice/ etc...

My dad is bummed out about his car right now so im trying to cheer him up by figuring this out, here is the story....

My dad has a 1970 chevelle and last year we took it to the 1/8 mile track nearby...at that time we had 275 fwhp and 375 fwtq (new engine we built and put in but not dyno tuned yet)

at that time here is what we ran....

9.3 @ 80 mph with a 2.32 60' time. and the car was running out of fuel (cutting out) about 7/8 of the way down the track....

We then had the car dyno tuned which we then ended up with roughly 375 fwhp and 450 fwtq.

So the other night for the fun of it we took the chevelle out and tried out the G-Tech on it....

Our results were....
0-60 mph 5.9 seconds
1/4 mile 14.5 sec @ 101 mph

Now I know the G-tech isnt completely accurate but this is all i got right now until I can get to the track and I know our 60' is most likely not that great...the car also has somewhat bent wheels that we are going to be replacing and the stall in the car isnt working (cheap stall, getting replaced soon) so basically it doesnt go down the road smooth at 100mph, and the stall acts like a factory stall...also after each run the fumes from the car (seemed like it was running rich) gave me such a headache eventually so im guessing it was getting too much fuel or something)

Shouldnt this car be capable of mid 13 second 1/4 mile at about 105 mph?? I mean his car has so much more torque than mine and I know LS1's are good for mid 13 second 1/4 mile times... I am gonna try to get the car to the 1/8 mile this summer to see how much we have improved but until then I need your help...

What should his car be running after the stall gets in there (right now without the stall it takes probably a good second to get into the power band), and if we can get a decent launch etc??

Sorry it is so long...I just wanna figure this out so I can give him some news to cheer him up...
Old 05-16-2006, 05:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What was the Chevelle's whp, not fwhp? Also without a decent stall it's probably gonna continue to run poorly. I would think that the Chevelle would be lighter then an LS1 F Body, but I don't know for sure.

My guess would be that with a good stall converter and decent rubber that it should run in the 13's.

Gtech's can be both pessimistic and optimistic. The newer one's are pessimistic, and tend to give slower times from what i've seen, while the older one's were highly optimistic speed wise.

Take it to the track and see what it'll do. Everything is just speculation right now.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it put down 220 rwhp and 300 rwtq before tune and 300 rwhp and 355 rwtq after tune...our drivetrain setup eats up the power like crazy. So it has more fwhp than an LS1 but it is only putting down about what an LS1 puts down to the ground... Like you said tho, after the stall it should help out a lot. I have a MSD Electronic Distributor I bought for him for fathers day, and we plan on the new stall, and a built 700r4 tranny this winter. Hopefully the results are good.