breaking stuff left and right- and got kicked out of atco

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 05:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default breaking stuff left and right- and got kicked out of atco

it gets a little frustrating... long rant but worth reading...

have not been having any luck with the car lately. i blew up the stock trans, then had one built only to break the input drum 6 days later. the guy who built it made good on most of the parts and built me another one which seems to be ok. all of this ordeal took a couple months to get done.

so tuesday i decide to go to atco and run the car to see how it does, maybe get a new best.. after 2 shitty runs on motor- a 12.4 @109mph and a 12.3 @ 109mph i say f'it and decide to spray it.

get out of the groove and spin , so i had to peddle it and i run a 11.39 @ 122mph. not a fun race, the car NEVER got like that on me and it seemed to break up in the big-end a little bit. im thinking when i peddled it it dumped a little too much fuel and that caused the breakups.

next run, i decide to spray it a little sooner than i usually do, since it was only flashing to 3700rpms i decide to spray it at 3800rpms compared to my usual 3900. im nervous about this since i had a feeling the rear would snap, or it would just spin. but i say screw it and if i keep being a ***** the car is never going to go fast..

as i pull up to the line the tech warns me about not having a cage . mind you i've run 10.9 and 11.00's and 11.1's tons of times there and never got warned. oh well, see what happens.

i launch it hard and 5 feet out the spray hits. BOOM! i pull over to the side and see what broke. it was the rear . as they track officials are pushing me back the one guy says "now this is a good time for you to put a nice rollcage in there. i know you have a few 11.0's under your belt" i just smile and say "i don't know what you are talking about.

now i gotta wait till the weekend after labor day to rebuild the rear- waiting on parts and my mechanic to have time.

so yeah, frustrating but for some reason i just can't stop racing it and breaking stuff . i figure there are quite a few people on here in the same boat so i figured i'd post up.

maybe i need to be hypnotized to stop racing the car like how people quit smoking. it is honestly an addiction, and a costly one at that
Old 08-26-2006, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

you said it yourself!!!
If you race it, it will break
If it breaks, you have to fix it
If you have to fix it it costs money.

So...

Racing = Money

You gotta pay to play!!
Old 08-27-2006, 10:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why not just save up for a 12 bolt rearend? Sounds like you've broken the 10 bolt often enough.

Other then that I dunno. Maybe you've got a cheap way of rebuilding your 10 bolt that no one else knows about.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:36 AM
9 Second Club

Yeah if you're gonna be a regular at the track you gotta start getting parts that will last. A roll bar is probably a good idea also. The track officials there aren't too strict so if they are telling you to get one your probably should.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah a cage wouldn't be a bad idea and the officials seem pretty cool about it. My dad was threatened to be kicked out once a while ago for running a 9.999 before he had his super gas license so these officials are very leniant.

I say 12 bolt it and cage it so you'll be legal and more reliable. If not now then for sure in the winter.

The fun >>>>> the pain of spending the money.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:00 PM
10 Second Club

this is actually the first 10 bolt ive broken. and i do plan on saving up for a 12 bolt over the winter, plus a cage now that i know i can't get away without it.

i know i know, "breaking is racing" just needed to bitch about it somewhere haha.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:06 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Racing is an addiction, no cure found yet!

Good luck getting her legal and back together soon!

Derek
Old 09-10-2006, 06:37 PM
10 Second Club

had to pull this back up.

seems when i took out the 10 bolt i took out my new trans also . making BAD noises then it just lost 3/4 while driving it.

so now i went through 2 stock trans's, and 2 locally built trans's. all in a couple months...

going flt level 4 soon, maybe that'll hold up but i'll still be on a stock rear for now. since the 12 bolt $ is going into another trans.

when it rains it POURS would be a good saying here... it'll come together with time hopefully, or i'll just sell the ******* thing.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:10 PM
Teching In

Shoulda gone with a turbo400 from the start!
Old 10-01-2006, 11:24 PM
10 & 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by sleeperstyle
so yeah, frustrating but for some reason i just can't stop racing it and breaking stuff . i figure there are quite a few people on here in the same boat so i figured i'd post up.

maybe i need to be hypnotized to stop racing the car like how people quit smoking. it is honestly an addiction, and a costly one at that
You just need another car or 2 to race so when one breaks you can still race. That is the best way to deal with dragracing addiction.

Quick Reply: breaking stuff left and right- and got kicked out of atco