Not Impressed: Bad track prep??

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 08:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Not Impressed: Bad track prep??

Ran the car last night in the 1/8 mile, it may have been track conditions, because I was not impressed. 4 days ago the tires were sticky every time and my best pass was a 7.29!! Last night it was a little warmer, 89 degrees or so, and I ran anywhere from a 7.40-7.64, spinning every time! Being an intended bracket car, this was maddending!! I have 26X11.5X15 Hoosier QTPs and they have stuck every time until yesterday! I am trying to figure out this car but it seems impossible sometimes. I ran 7.50-7.55 a couple of times in a row, still spinning on every run. I gotta find out how to make these stick for good, and yes, I do good burnouts. I saw a couple of other TA's out there, but none that could hang with me and my "cam-only".
Old 09-11-2006, 10:58 AM
7 Second Club

There could be a lot of factors here.
How old are the tires?
What were your sixty foot times?
Were you swapping lane to lane?
Were you lining up in the groove each and every time?
I understand about trying to be consistent with a bracket car, as I bracket race plenty myself. A taller tire could help, as I went from a 26 to a 28" and that helps for a better footprint and more sidewall to absorb the shock from the initial hit. If you have the tune-up on the launch for great traction, then when the track becomes marginal you can spin without consistency.

There's a lot to look at, hopefully others will chime in with any thoughts I may have missed.

Good luck!

Derek
Old 09-11-2006, 03:34 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the help! Tires are fairly new, just put them on 2 weeks ago, but I was sticking fine. No, I stayed in the left lane and in the right lane 1 time. Yes, I always find the grooves and stay in them. (I learned that this raises your time if not.) I had 28's but am trying 26's now. Like I said, it may be track conditions, but then how do you fight that and stick every time? Lack of VHT???
Old 09-12-2006, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its street night what do you expect with all the ricers dragging water to the line.

Originally Posted by fasttagurl
I saw a couple of other TA's out there, but none that could hang with me and my "cam-only".
JP's car was out there and well enough said. I'm sure he couldn't hang.

Oh and ah the one time I got traction I went a 7.39 the same night in our Mystic Teal car on drag radials no bottle full weight car so there were a few of us there that can hang.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

7.29 1/8th is moving for your mods

It sounds like track prep and not the tires. I'd check your torque arm and pinion angle just to be sure you haven't tweaked anything.

Old 09-13-2006, 11:46 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Its street night what do you expect with all the ricers dragging water to the line.

JP's car was out there and well enough said. I'm sure he couldn't hang.

Oh and ah the one time I got traction I went a 7.39 the same night in our Mystic Teal car on drag radials no bottle full weight car so there were a few of us there that can hang.
GOOD POINT! I thought about getting out of the car myself and mopping all that extra water up! Do I know JP? Good #, I could not get my "real" numbers out of it that night. Best I did was a 7.44 spinning. I think I saw that car there, looks a little too familiar. We should race at the same time when we can both gain traction - it would be a good race.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:19 PM
11 Second Club

What were the 60fts? If they were the same sounds like the DA was probably higher hence the slower times. -Mark
Old 09-13-2006, 01:05 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bitemark46
What were the 60fts? If they were the same sounds like the DA was probably higher hence the slower times. -Mark
1.67s. They are usually 1.57-1.59s. One time I spun all the way to the 330 and got a 1.74!
Old 09-13-2006, 02:32 PM
10 Second Club

damn good time for your mods.

ill agree that it sounds like track prep.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:58 PM
11 Second Club

^^^ Yep. Track prep was not as good.

I wouldn't worry about it. -Mark
Old 09-13-2006, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fasttagurl
GOOD POINT! I thought about getting out of the car myself and mopping all that extra water up! Do I know JP? Good #, I could not get my "real" numbers out of it that night. Best I did was a 7.44 spinning. I think I saw that car there, looks a little too familiar. We should race at the same time when we can both gain traction - it would be a good race.
JP had the black 6-speed TA out there not showing times. Its goes a lot faster than either one of ours.

Quick Reply: Not Impressed: Bad track prep??