First time actually drag racing Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time actually drag racing Advice?

Well im going to the track tonight in bout hour n a half.. i would like to know if theres any kind of things i should know to do?? Like is there any lil things i can do to get better times.. I have drag raced before but this is the first time in a RWD.. Thanks for all advice BTW i have 01 formy A4 :p
Old 09-19-2006, 09:53 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well by now you've run I'm sure, so post up results.

My advice:

Don't roll through the water. Go around it if you can and just do a short dry burnout to clean the tires and then go up to the starting line. I would not bring up the RPMs past about 1000-1200 rpm on the launch, and roll into the throttle if you are running true street tires. If the car will launch decent you can acheive decent 60 foot times but it's all in how you finesse the launch. I've gotten a 2.00 60 foot from the Formula on Good Year GSC 245/60/16 radials, and that's only 7 hundredths off my best 1.93 with sticky M/T sportsman pro tires. The key is getting the weight to shift and once it does not overpowering the tires too quickly. It takes time and practice, but they more you do it the better you will get. Mid 13s at 103-104 mph is what I got bone stock, so hopefully you can find similar (or better) results!

Good luck!

Derek
Old 09-19-2006, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it was a Great Night.. Weather was great only like 60 degrees... the announcer said we was -60 sea level or what not so i guess today was one of the best days to do it... I never got traction in first gear... my 60's was 2.1+ i went around the water but since they sweep it pretty much all the way over my tires got wet all the time anyway.. my Traps were 100-103 might have had a 104 in there also... My best 3 times were 13.540, 13.689, 13.772 .. i tried lowering the tire pressure for grip but that only made things worse and i got a 13.9 my very first run i was afraid of geting a 13 so i didnt get in to it much and i forgot i left traction control on... nontheless my launch was the worse i ever seen and not only that my car was in 3rd before the 60' and i was just cruising so i smash the gas and it drops and goes lol at first the lil wrx in the other lane had quite a lead on me but as soon as it droped i passed him like a rabbit. but i ended up passing with a 14.9 after all the mess ups... I think what i need as a first modd is a suspension mod i rather have the car control the stock power before adding extra I'm happy with the car tho as i had seen some ppl doing stock low 14's but maybe they are at higher altitude. Quick Question i made 9 runs tonight with in the 4 hours given my dad yelled at me and said i was gonna break the engine running it that many times that hard.. Is this true? Even if it isnt i dont plan on doing that no more i figure i will just make 3 passes with each visit from now on.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:35 AM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good runs for your first time.

I ran stock tires at 25-27 pounds in back and 35-40 in the front for less rolling resistance.

9 runs in 4 hours will put a little extra stress on the engine and trans due to heat, but nothing huge IMHO.

Keep practicing, you'll get better!

Derek

Quick Reply: First time actually drag racing Advice?