Went to the track for the first time last night (Slips and Video)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went to the track for the first time last night (Slips and Video)

I went to the track for the first time last night and I think I did pretty good for it being the first time. Btw, the SS is all stock except for a K&N air filter and a street tune. I also used a friends Nitto DR's on so that helped me hook up good. Made four passes with my best being a 13.28 @ 104.67. Btw, I won 2 and lost 2 but I didn't line up against anyone that wanted to race me or anything. Here are my two best slips and the video, I'm car number 29. Not bad for a pretty much stock car.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:12 PM
11 Second Club

very nice man, get that 60ft down and youll see a high 12
Old 08-16-2008, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, your 60' needs to be 2.0xx or better.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MattysTA
very nice man, get that 60ft down and youll see a high 12
Originally Posted by qwk93ta
I agree, your 60' needs to be 2.0xx or better.
Thanks guys. Yeah I need to get that 60 down. I should be able to do that and launch it a little better. I won't be going again until next spring/summer though because I'm heading down to school here soon.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:54 PM
TECH Junkie

nice. almost identical to what the ta did on my first trip to the track. i made 4 passes and my 2nd ever at the track was the best - 13.24 @ 106. lid and flowmaster 80 series only. street tires on a 2.2 60' ha.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Whats the DA? And what is the deal with 594'?
Old 08-16-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
Whats the DA? And what is the deal with 594'?
What? Sorry don't understand what your saying...
Old 08-16-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Junkie

DA = density altitude. Its a number that can be calculated using weather conditions and elevation, in order to compare ETs using corrections calculators.

And on the slip there is a row for "ET @ 594 FT". I've just never seen that before and was wondering what the deal is with it.

Jon
Old 08-16-2008, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

DA = density altitude. Its a number that can be calculated using weather conditions and elevation, in order to compare ETs using corrections calculators.

And on the slip there is a row for "ET @ 594 FT". I've just never seen that before and was wondering what the deal is with it.

Jon
Ok oh yeah idk what the density altitude was, but its not like I'm in the mountains or anything just in Indiana so idk I don't think it would make a big difference. And yeah idk what that 594 FT time is, like I said it was my first time at the track so I'm new to a lot of this stuff.

Edit: Just searched and found track elevation is 712 ft.

Last edited by greg_74; 08-16-2008 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:44 PM
TECH Junkie

You can calculate DA from here http://www.modulardepot.com/density.php and use accuweather.com to find out weather conditions for the last 24 hours. And it has a correction calculator for your ETs added in. So you can see what your run would have been at 0' DA

You should keep up with your DA, as the weather at your track could easily change enough form weekend to weekend to make 2 tenths and 2 MPH difference. Maybe more if you had a cold front come trough. I always figure my DA when I get home from the track and write it on the slip. Just incase I want to compare numbers in the future and don't remember the weather for that day.

Jon

Edit: Oops, I linked the wrong DA calc. This is the on that I originally posted if anyone cares http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_da.htm You can use the national weather service link on the same page to find weather conditions for the last 24 hours at the listed weather stations.

Last edited by JonCR96Z; 08-17-2008 at 12:25 AM.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

After messing around with that calculator, i realized something i forgot, its mainly in the barametric pressure thats affect the DA big time, even if your at around 80* & a dew point of say 57, if the BP is falling & sitting below 30.0, your DA starts rocketing up, so you really want a day/night when the BP is riseing & is above 30.0, thats when the airs alot better & more stable, even though it doesn't feel the best outside, that riseing BP makes you run very good, i lost about 1.5 & 1 mph last night from last week, it felt cooler outside, but with the rain in the area i should have known the air was unstable & BP was low too, that explains my loss, so i'll look into an Altimeter too check BP.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:10 AM
TECH Junkie

I think its more temp. 10 degrees is around 800 da. where as .4 tenths of an inch of baro pressure is only like 500 da.

10 degrees can happen in 6 hours, baro pressure usually varys maybe a tenth of an inch all day.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think its more temp. 10 degrees is around 800 da. where as .4 tenths of an inch of baro pressure is only like 500 da.

10 degrees can happen in 6 hours, baro pressure usually varys maybe a tenth of an inch all day.

The BP will useally not change that much in a 24hr. period if nothing is going on, temps do effect ET, but not nearly as much as the BP, go play with that calculator & you'll see, on adverage, you'll have better stability in the air through the fall/winter months as cold fronts blow through & high pressure sets it, as the night sets in its only gravy

If the BP is around 30.8 & your temp drops 15-20* in say a 4 hr. period in cooler air as the sun goes down, you'll pick up big time (especially if your on the fatter side on the A/F ratio), but if the air is unstable & BP is around 29.2, even if the temp drops the same in that 4 hr. period (wich normally it don't unless it starts pooring rain & cools the air), you won't gain as much if not anything, the DA is still crap.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So since it was more than 24hrs ago I kinda guessed since the weather was about the same. It was good weather on friday. I actually wanted to get a last run there before it got dark and they closed the track since it doesn't have lights but a tubro bike blew up and dumped a bunch of oil on the track so I didn't get another one in. After guessing numbers I figured the DA was around 1900 and relative density was 94.38%. What does that mean for my times then?
Old 08-17-2008, 11:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LM97Z
The BP will useally not change that much in a 24hr. period if nothing is going on, temps do effect ET, but not nearly as much as the BP, go play with that calculator & you'll see, on adverage, you'll have better stability in the air through the fall/winter months as cold fronts blow through & high pressure sets it, as the night sets in its only gravy

If the BP is around 30.8 & your temp drops 15-20* in say a 4 hr. period in cooler air as the sun goes down, you'll pick up big time (especially if your on the fatter side on the A/F ratio), but if the air is unstable & BP is around 29.2, even if the temp drops the same in that 4 hr. period (wich normally it don't unless it starts pooring rain & cools the air), you won't gain as much if not anything, the DA is still crap.

Yeah if the baro drop from 30.8 to to 29.2 it would kill your times, but that wouldn't really matter because you wouldn't have been at the track, due to it being the end of the world. You would never see that kind of a drop in a day.

Depending on where you live you may never even see 30.8. The local weather here says that the baro ranged from 29.99 to 30.09 in the last 24 hour. Though I've never really payed much attention, it seems that while figuring DAs for my runs I've never seen the range more than a few hundredths.

I look at the time of my runs and the closest weather reading to that time and figure every slip different. Most change I've seen is around 200 DA less as then night goes on. That doesn't mean that it would alway be that way, but I doubt you'll see much more variance over a few hours to be worth a tenth of ET.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah if the baro drop from 30.8 to to 29.2 it would kill your times, but that wouldn't really matter because you wouldn't have been at the track, due to it being the end of the world. You would never see that kind of a drop in a day.

Depending on where you live you may never even see 30.8. The local weather here says that the baro ranged from 29.99 to 30.09 in the last 24 hour. Though I've never really payed much attention, it seems that while figuring DAs for my runs I've never seen the range more than a few hundredths.

I look at the time of my runs and the closest weather reading to that time and figure every slip different. Most change I've seen is around 200 DA less as then night goes on. That doesn't mean that it would alway be that way, but I doubt you'll see much more variance over a few hours to be worth a tenth of ET.
Yeah I think warming my tires up more, getting a better launch, and getting that 60' time down will do more to help my times than the very little change in weather. Also I could take a little weight out with the spare and the jack too. I think I could get it right around between 13.0-13.2 with more practice.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by greg_74
So since it was more than 24hrs ago I kinda guessed since the weather was about the same. It was good weather on friday. I actually wanted to get a last run there before it got dark and they closed the track since it doesn't have lights but a tubro bike blew up and dumped a bunch of oil on the track so I didn't get another one in. After guessing numbers I figured the DA was around 1900 and relative density was 94.38%. What does that mean for my times then?
1900 is pretty good for summer time. That would take your 13.2 @ 104.6 and make it a 13.0 @ 106.7 in 0' DA. Which for 713' elevation would be a good 50 degree day.

The times are good considereing the mods and the 60's, but the MPH is throwing me off, is this a 6speed car? The bad 60s would indicate that it is an M6 but the low mph looks like an A4. Which is why I asked about the DA in the first place.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:59 PM
11 Second Club

Not sure if his speed support getting into the 12s yet, but keep working on that reaction time too. That won't help your speed or time, but it'll help if bracket racing become an idea of yours.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you would have read my reply, nowhere did i mention the BP would change that dramadicly, all i was stateing is IF the BP is low do too unstable conditions (LP) you will not run good & will most likely not see any real gains when the sun goes down, but when there is a good day & BP is up (HP), you will see more of a gain as the sun sets & the temp drops, in these condition (mine shaft air) i have seen & done it myself, we would drop a good .2 & 2 mph + in a 3 hr. period, because you can fatten the hell out of your car & take advantage of the great DA, like today for instance, in my area the BP is up, just had a cool front move through yest., we will be in the low 80s today, but it'll drop in the 50s tonight, i wish they were running today, i would most likely see some 13.4s tonight in this air. Friday night the DA was around 3500ft., the temps were in the mid. 70s, it felt nice outside do too the rain in the area, but the BP was low & conditions were not great, today is a different story, temps are about the same, but BP is up & DA is around 2K, as the temps drop tonight, the DA will only get better.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Duffster
Not sure if his speed support getting into the 12s yet, but keep working on that reaction time too. That won't help your speed or time, but it'll help if bracket racing become an idea of yours.
Well if he can go 13.28 on a 2.1 60, then a 1.9 would get him in the 12s. MPH just doesn't seem right for an M6. Maybe it's in the tune? KR on the big end?

Jon

Quick Reply: Went to the track for the first time last night (Slips and Video)