Just a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Just a few questions

My father ran my car at an 1/8 a few months ago and did alright (i assume) We have a 1999 T/a (non WS6) with an A4. he ran 2 flat 9's and beat out a Magnum R/t and an old GT. I was pretty proud of it but i was wondering if that is what it should be running. Any faster? or any slower?

Also he mentioned something about force shifting, i assume he put the auto into first, then shifted to its second and then third (at the right rpm's and i dont think he made it to 3rd) Was he right for doing this?

Thanks !!
Old 09-24-2008, 12:40 PM
12 Second Club

Um, well i guess thats a decent time. Manually shifting your automatic on a untuned stock car will just make your time slower.

Post your slip or the #s on it and we can tell you if your lacking somewhere.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:04 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PontiacSpeed91
My father ran my car at an 1/8 a few months ago and did alright (i assume) We have a 1999 T/a (non WS6) with an A4. he ran 2 flat 9's and beat out a Magnum R/t and an old GT. I was pretty proud of it but i was wondering if that is what it should be running. Any faster? or any slower?

Also he mentioned something about force shifting, i assume he put the auto into first, then shifted to its second and then third (at the right rpm's and i dont think he made it to 3rd) Was he right for doing this?

Thanks !!
Ok here is some info,

When you run 1/8th mile the generally accepted conversion to 1/4 ET is....

{Your time (including tenths... such as 9.001)} X 1.555 = 1/4 conversion.

Yours is 13.995 you should include MPH and 60' foot times.

As for how fast, its a 99, I assume street tires and no mods, seems about right, also assuming stock weight which can be upwards w/ driver 3700 pounds. It seems on the mark but the air temp and DA (density altitude will effect that)

As for force shifting, he should NOT BE DOING THAT!!!!!

4L60e (the E stands for Electronic), The computer determines how that trans will function, UNDER WOT (wide open throttle), if he is manually shifting the trans, then fluid may not be in the right spot under load and this WILL DAMAGE THE TRANSMISSION.

If he knows persay a Ford trans, there is something called the AOD shuffle, little tricks like that to get the trans to do what you want it to do but these trans do not need that.

Let it shift itself, it is better then a man.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Talking

Thank you for all your replies and help! ill ask my father for the time slips so i can post them up. I have some of the info written down though.

Reaction time:1.137
60 foot:2.245
mid ET: 0.001
Trap: 81.3

Thats all he gave me, he kept the actual little paper. When i originally asked him why he shifted, he did mention something about Ford...I cant remember lol.

Like i said, thank you very much for the info! if you say it "might" be a 13.9 then i'd be happy as heck! but how much would it be with the info here? I am going to do my best to get my car out to the track and drive her right. I love my car so much, im scared to really run her but i want to know what it can run. Thanks again guys!
Old 09-25-2008, 12:48 PM
12 Second Club

Reaction time:1.137
60 foot:2.245
mid ET: 0.001
Trap: 81.3

You might wanna get the sheet from him and copy it word by word, otherwise it looks pretty useless. One thing though is that 60'. Get that down to about a 1.8 - 1.9 (which is entirely possible on good radials/right pressure/decent driver) and you should see a .4 - .5 off your 1/4 ET.

GL.