Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weld Magnum Drag one peice front skinnies

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 01:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Weld Magnum Drag one peice front skinnies

Has anybody used these on an F-body yet? They are the wheels the pro stockers run(they have the round rings in the wheel). They look like they would be real light, but are they strong enough? Real pricey also, $400+ apeice
Old 09-13-2003, 05:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: Weld Magnum Drag one peice front skinnies

Al Corda is running them this year on the front of his car. But, he's not running a standard front brake setup.

I would kill for a set of the new AlumaStars front runners!
Old 09-13-2003, 07:32 AM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

None of the pure drag rims (Magnum Drag or Aluma Star) will mount up without changing the front brakes. They are extremely light though. I'm running the Aluma Star fronts, Jim Winn (Gofast) is running the lighter version of those that is a 5 spoke setup.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:08 AM
10 Second Club

Well I do have aftermarket brakes so that won't be a problem. I'm just having a hard time paying over $800+ dollars for front rims........hell that's more than I paid for my rear 15x10 Bogarts.
If I do get them they will be for track only with a set of ET fronts.Hell I must be nuts,$1100+ bucks for a set of front skinnies with tires,rims and lug nuts lugs
Old 09-13-2003, 12:35 PM
9 Second Club

I hear you - I've had my heart set on the same ones for some time. They seem to be coming down a little with time - maybe by the time I can afford them, they will be more affordable.

I did see a set of the 5 bolt ones on an older Nova a few weeks ago at the track - it looked like he had stock disc brakes. Are you sure they don't make them to fit stock brakes?

Oh well, its a pipe dream at the moment anyhow. I need way too many other expensive parts before wheels and tires!
Old 09-13-2003, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DERTY: I was able to get the aluma star front runner to fit with my stock brakes. i did grind alot and had to use a spacer but they did fit. And these are the alumas not the pro stars.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Drop the money and get them. Weld also offers another design of them with the same bolt circle but with a round CNC cut out pattern. You can't image how light these wheels are compared to a standard Weld Star. They look very trick on the car. Words just can't explain how trick these look on your car. Sorry for the one pic that was loaded 90 deg. The wheels on my car are with no wheel spacers either:

www.gofastzone.com/members/The%20KING/016_25a.jpg

www.gofastzone.com/members/The%20KING/007_16a.jpg
Old 09-13-2003, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not 100% sure but I think the 21/4 back space is enough to clear stock brakes...
Old 09-13-2003, 11:09 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You are a brave soul for grinding your front calipers as much as it would have taken. Mine fits great with no space and aftermarket brakes though. I'm ready to slam the car down some more though. I'm debating about some lowering springs now!
Old 09-13-2003, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

Derty,

Oh no if you want to lower your car correct just go right out and cut the entire floor and stock chassis out. Isn't that how your supposed to lower your car?

Old 09-14-2003, 01:04 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys, don't leave out the P2 series Bogarts, they are the lightest on the market...they are meant for drag race use ONLY...priced-points are nicer also. The fronts can be set up for 1.75 or a slammed 2.5 inch BS.

Of course, as with any pure drag rim as mentioned above, aftermarket front brakes are a must. Rear LT1 brakes CAN be used but you must grind (similar to what you need to do with weld prostars) to make them fit...LS1 brakes will not work.
Old 09-14-2003, 04:04 AM
10 Second Club

Drop the money and get them. Weld also offers another design of them with the same bolt circle but with a round CNC cut out pattern. You can't image how light these wheels are compared to a standard Weld Star. They look very trick on the car. Words just can't explain how trick these look on your car. Sorry for the one pic that was loaded 90 deg. The wheels on my car are with no wheel spacers either:

www.gofastzone.com/members/The%20KING/016_25a.jpg

www.gofastzone.com/members/The%20KING/007_16a.jpg

Nice looking car Gofast !!The ones you have look killer too, The round ones were the one's I was talking about. I want them just for the track only with ET Fronts,on the street I use my Bogart skinnies with the 7.50/15 MT Sportsmans.

Steve10....I haven't forgot about you !
Old 09-14-2003, 08:51 AM
9 Second Club

Go Fast,
You've got exactly what I want one day! At least now I know they look as great as I imagined. First I need a trans/convertor & 12 bolt. Some day...

Thanks for the pics!
Old 09-14-2003, 09:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Old 09-14-2003, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

Steve10,

I would have a very hard time believing that there actually is a rim lighter then the Aluma Star 2.0 one piece. Unless it was either a spindale mount or a titanium rim. I'm not saying that the Bogarts are not light but the majority of the racers I spoke to use the Weld one piece because of its weight and trueness over what else was available. I wanted the lightest wheel I could find for a 4 3/4 bolt circle and the Weld was wheel of choice of over 90% people that are running the NSCA events that I talked to not to mention the rim is SFI Spec 15-2 approved.

To tell ya the truth I'm not so sure I would want a rim any lighter then what I have now. I just think your wrong when you say the bogarts are lighter. Out side of the F-body guy's I really haven't seen anyone using them that where looking to count every little bit of weight. At least no one that I know in Super Street.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:20 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gofast (Jim),

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not downplaying weld aluma star or magnum rims, they are quality rims.

Respectfully, all the P2 (non spindle)Bogart front 15x3.5's weight approx 6.75 lbs.

The Weld Magnum Drag is 9.82 lbs (directly from their specs)...there was one that was 8 lbs but I'm not sure which one it was offhand.

Regarding weld and more people using them, I would agree, one factor is probably due to the large advertising cabablilities and freebies to the "big guys". I wont get into SFI testing on the board...in the past, bogart rims have passed random SFI tests.

Hope this clears things up.

Steve

Quick Reply: Weld Magnum Drag one peice front skinnies