Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NHRA National Racers! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 12:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question NHRA National Racers! Help!

I hope many on here compete in the NHRA races that happen about 6 times a year in each division across the country. I know I am in Division IV (South) but have no idea what class to get involved in! I have contacted NHRA and have a rulebook, but there is too much info. to pick the correct class. Anyone know what class I can run in?

Here's some info:
1) I DO NOT want to be in any electronics classes? (Must be "No Electronics" only class!)
2) I have a modified car (heads/cam, no power adders) but maintains a stock appearance.
3) What kind of "tree" does the NHRA Lucas Oil Events use? (Sportsman or Pro Tree?)
4) Classes I've seen: Super Stock, Stock, Stock FI - But none of these seem to fit me. Is there an Index Class or weight break (all-out class)?

Every time I contact NHRA they tell me to "go to one of the races and ask questions". I personally do not want to waste $200 on entry fees only to be left in the dark and not come prepared, car and all. Thank you for ANY help you can provide me!

Last edited by fasttagurl; 10-27-2008 at 12:27 PM. Reason: additions
Old 10-27-2008, 12:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your car would fit best in super street

10.90 index hard breakout on a .500 pro tree

mostly throttle stop racers.

stock and super stock are class races with very specific things allowed...

http://www.nhra.com/aboutnhr/classes.htm
Old 10-27-2008, 01:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fireball
your car would fit best in super street

10.90 index hard breakout on a .500 pro tree

mostly throttle stop racers.

stock and super stock are class races with very specific things allowed...

http://www.nhra.com/aboutnhr/classes.htm
Thanks Fireball!
A couple of issues I found from NHRA after calling them this afternoon:

In the Super Street class, they allow electronics and I was told to have any chance I would need to install these on my car - which is something I am totally against since I am/only want to be a "foot-brake racer" with no electronics. Also, the Stock Eliminator class is a "more than scary" experience for someone that's never done it before - They require you to tear down your motor and show you have the requirements, all to have to have it ready and running by the time you are called to race. EEK!

I guess at this point I will not be participating in any NHRA National/Divisional races until they have a fair class for racers like me! I believe I fit more into the NMCA Races, although they do not have these in Texas.

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-27-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by fasttagurl
Thanks Fireball!
A couple of issues I found from NHRA after calling them this afternoon:

In the Super Street class, they allow electronics and I was told to have any chance I would need to install these on my car - which is something I am totally against since I am/only want to be a "foot-brake racer" with no electronics. Also, the Stock Eliminator class is a "more than scary" experience for someone that's never done it before - They require you to tear down your motor and show you have the requirements, all to have to have it ready and running by the time you are called to race. EEK!

I guess at this point I will not be participating in any NHRA National/Divisional races until they have a fair class for racers like me! I believe I fit more into the NMCA Races, although they do not have these in Texas.

Thanks for your help!
like I said...most everyone runs throttlestops in super street...
Old 10-27-2008, 02:20 PM
7 Second Club

any large sactioned race will be hard to jump into... these guys pay out big contengincies* (spelling) so there will be racers that do it for a living competing with you... your best bet is local bracket racing... footbrake class or just pro.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
any large sactioned race will be hard to jump into... these guys pay out big contengincies* (spelling) so there will be racers that do it for a living competing with you... your best bet is local bracket racing... footbrake class or just pro.
I know-Those lucky guys...(race for a living). I will try our Bracket Racing for a few Saturdays and see how it goes. Our (Kennedale) racers are some of the best in the country. They are tough to beat, and have about 15+ years on me.

I was trying to get into NHRA because one of my sponsors only pays out if I win one of those events, not any other event - even if it's National. Also, I like to get my face out there as much as possible, in case this can turn into something big for me (too) one day. (While keeping the whole racing aspect FUN of course!) Thanks for the advice!
Old 10-27-2008, 02:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Look into the Summit Series races, they are bracket style events. My wife used to race in Pro (no electronics) and Super Pro (electronic class) with our 1998 Z28 race car. It is still NHRA and follows similar lines as the Lucas Oil events, but for Sportsman racers like yourself. Best thing is, you have a chance at being the track champion, divisional champion or National chapion (and compete over here at Pomona, with the big boys).
Old 10-27-2008, 03:15 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Unfortunately, there is really no class that you can just show up for, without electronics.
The super class' were made so anyone could run without a thousand rules to follow.
Today, electronics are a must, unless you want to pay just to make a couple of time runs &
once in a while win a round. You were born too late to be a non-electronics guy.
I raced 24 years without a box, but had to do it. I got tired of throwing money away because of stubbornest.
If you refuse to get any electronics, then as you said, you are not going to fit NHRA.
You can find another series, but won't get the same attention they get world wide. Good luck.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest bracket racing to get use to how break outs and dial ins work. Foot breaking on a pro tree for super street is going to be tough. Plus you would need some sort of throttle stop to go 1090s unless you are really good at judging the finish line.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:03 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

I actually know one guy that runs S/C without a box or stop. The problem is he doesn't go far.
I believe the most he ever won was one round. Another guy used to, but it took so much time messing with weights
& shift points between rounds. He ended up just getting a stop. Type in a number & he's ready.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:32 PM
7 Second Club

Michelle,

You "could" do okay in S/ST. I know a guy that won a divisional with a high 10.80 car that he just put a bolt-stop on to slow it down, but did run a transbrake and 2 step. If your car leaves hard enough you could cut a 5 tenths pro tree. It's the best class to run as far as money and rules go. Stock will cost a bunch more.

Derek
Old 10-27-2008, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

The guys who"race for a living" in the sportsman classes have good weekday jobs. If you want to make a milloin dollars racing you are going to have to start with 2 million of your own money or have John Force as your father or father in-law. Contingency money only paid to winner an runner up. Check out the rules and get ready to wait for the money.

http://www.nhra.com/sponsors/Events/race24.xls
http://www.nhra.com/sponsors/2008_ReqContingency.html
http://www.nhra.com/sponsors/2008_RulesContingency.html

Keep your eyes out for bailing sponsors in this tough economy.

Win on the local level and then look for someone to put you in their car. If you are really good at cutting a light(consistant teens or 20's will be needed) and you can control the car and drive the stripe someone will give you a ride.

You will only have to teardown if you try to set a record, get protested, or get lucky and picked at random.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:07 AM
TECH Regular

I raced Super Comp for years now, and I personally hate electronic throttle stop racing. the only thing is you need it to be competitive. I moved to top comp then Top sportsman cuz I wanted to run in the 6 sec. range.
I did however race the summit series and enjoyed that tremedously, the people were really nice and it was dial your car, don't have a 8.90 or whatever you are restriced to.
We have always wanted NHRA to go back to that type of racing and get rid of all of the electronics. I feel that we are getting away from the grass roots of drag racing and like others have said, "If you don't have a couple of million dollars" it's hard to go racing. This is very true and even on my budget it was very very expensive.

I'd say stick with the local stuff and Summit series, it's a better and cheaper way to race.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:11 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 12secSS
Look into the Summit Series races, they are bracket style events. My wife used to race in Pro (no electronics) and Super Pro (electronic class) with our 1998 Z28 race car. It is still NHRA and follows similar lines as the Lucas Oil events, but for Sportsman racers like yourself. Best thing is, you have a chance at being the track champion, divisional champion or National chapion (and compete over here at Pomona, with the big boys).
Thats the route to take there. Unless you can run a Stock class car or pure stock class
Old 10-29-2008, 11:24 AM
9 Second Club

Michelle, I have been looking at running super street for a couple of years. Have yet to jump in and try it. Without the stop it will be hard to find yourself running 10.90. Also consider some of those cars are running 10.90 at 150 because of the stops so judging the finish will be tough.

I may give it a shot next year.

I think when they meant go to an event and talk to the racers they did no mean to enter so it is just whatever the entry is.

Another thing I think is a deterrent to me is you may be racing Thur-Sat at these events for two qualifiers and first round.

You best bet is to find a series that head-up index racing on a local level or slower head-up classes. Or talk to your local track about starting this type of racing. Heads-up index is gaining steam.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:06 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Good point. I should have mentioned us little guys start before the pro's.
Many long w/e's sitting around waiting for the pro's to finish.
Especially when there's any weather issues.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:00 AM
TECH Regular

Just remember, if you are going to put some sort of throttle stop on your car you will need the following to get close to running your number.

1. Dedenbear or another brand T-Stop
2. Weather station of some sort
3. computer
4. Computer program like Crew Chief Pro
5. Timer box inside the car.

Thats pretty much what it takes to be competitive. But remember seat time and good records of each run makes a HUGE difference in getting a set up correct for your car.

Once you figure that out then you need to figure out what your ratio is. I tried real hard to get my car to have a 2:1 ratio. Some guys I know have a 3:1 and so on. Knowing this will help you while in the staging lanes if the weather changes and you have to take a guess at it.

Either way have fun, but if you plan to run competitvely it will take some time and a lot of runs down the track to figure out what your car likes.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me about this stuff. I have done this type of racing for years.
Attached Thumbnails NHRA National Racers! Help!-carlaunching.jpg  
Old 11-25-2008, 10:06 AM
10 Second Club

Last year I ran a Hotrod event(10.90 throttlestop race) I cut a .001 light and the other guy cut a .043 light.I had him by what looked like 10 cars at the 1000 ft so I got on the brakes and he flew by me at 149 mph and ran a 10.901 and took the line by a fender.I learned a hard lesson that day in throttle stop racing run your own race and dont even look at the guy beside you

makes me wonder what that car would run flatout maybe a high eight second car?
Almost all the cars where running like that also
I qualified 7th with a 10.904
Old 11-26-2008, 07:33 PM
7 Second Club

Some cars that are running in S/ST (H/R) could run Super Comp, but I'll save my thoughts on this...

Derek