Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford F250 & fuel mileage

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 08:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford F250 & fuel mileage

i just bought a 24' enclosed for my car. i took the new setup to the track using my 1997 Chevy 1/2 pickup. it did alright but i have been wanting a 3/4 ton pickup for a while. i have been looking on-line and i would really like to keep the price down due to the economy and really want a 4 door for the extra room. high mileage trucks dont scare me becuase i know that if they are taken care of they will last for a while. i like the look of the Ford f250 and the price is about right. i have been looking at 2003-2004 trucks online. my buddy tells me to stay away from a Ford Diesel becuase they dont pull that wall and the fuel mileage sucks. i would for sure put a cold air intake, exhaust, and a programer but are the Ford Diesel's really that bad. who on here has one of these trucks and what has your experience been? thanks for the help!
Old 01-27-2009, 09:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Afriend of mine has a 03-04 Excursion TD and it gets terrible milage NOT towing,like 12-14mpg.My brother has a 05 Silverado TD crew cab dually and has got 19-20mpg highway.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

belive me dont by an 03 6.0 turbo diesel ford, that was the first year for that engine and big big problems, i made ford buy it back , do a little research , the 05s and up seem to be pretty problem fre,e, but even these have head gasket issues, but they have a 100,000 mile warr for that, my 05 Excursion diesel 4x4 gets 19 +mpg with 9 riders on the highway, add a 5000 lb trailer and 16-17 average on the highway
Old 01-27-2009, 11:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 01 7.3L F-250 4X4...im in west of dallas and I drove to Tyler about 3 hours away with a trailer, picked up a customers race car and pulled it all the way back on a half tank of gas, and with the 7.3 its a stump puller
Old 01-27-2009, 11:50 PM
TECH Resident

its also got 300,000 miles and minimal repairs needed. Im also a mechanic so all my **** is well maintained. so you can have one last just have it checked well before purchase. Make sure its been well kept.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:46 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

7.3 motoro ford pickups are good, anything with a 6.0 I wouldn avoid like the plague. The new 6.4, iffy as well from what I hear.

lbz duramax are good, new ones are good too, anything from dodge with the 5.9 cummins are good, I just bought an 08 with the 6.7 and the mileage is starting off at 14 to 14.5 on the first tank.

I expect it to get to about 15.5 to 16 with nothing more then breakin mileage. An air box, dump the exhaust after the DPF, and bypass the EGR and it should get up to about 17 around town and a good 20 on the highway.

Towing with a 24 foot enclosed, I'd plan on no better then about 15 to 16 regardless what you get and even then I bet that's optimistic.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

my 6.4l is getting 14 city/18 highway without a trailer. Not great but IMO the comfort is the best out of the other 2.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:32 AM
Race your car!

I did like the ford's interior, but the truck honestly felt weak compared to the dodge and the chevy, I just test drove all 3 in the last month. I'd put the power of the 6.7 up against the ford all day long and I would bet in the 1/4 the thing would put more then one buslenth on the ford. The chevy felt strong, but it wasn't any better. The chevy didn't feel as solid to me when driving it, the dodge felt like it was just built on a WAY stiffer frame to me, and the general feel when driving was better, I felt more attached to the dodge then the chevy. The ford, as comfy as it was, felt very heavy and bulky to drive, only comparison I can come up with, is if the ford was a 86 monte carlo, the dodge felt like a 4th gen fbody.

The dodge rides more like a truck, but it's the only 3/4 ton left you can get with a solid front axle, which ot me is way stronger and better suited for heavy use as well, something that alot of people may not think about. The new 6 speed tranny is tough too, made by Aisian, which is one of allison's biggest competitors. Thing shifts as hard, like my TH400 does, nice and solid feeling like it should be.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:34 AM
Race your car!

I'm at 14.5 this morning with 300 miles too, safe to expect that to go up a bunch. That's all around town stop and go, and now a bit of it in 4wd too.

Dodge and chevy also have a diesel brake, which will probably triple brake life.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:50 AM
11 Second Club

thanks for the reponces. i actually found a clean 04 dodge that i will go look at. it is a little more that i want to pay but it is exactly what i want and super clean. the only way i think that i will get the ford is if i can find one that i have enough to pay cash for!
Old 01-28-2009, 09:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I did like the ford's interior, but the truck honestly felt weak compared to the dodge and the chevy, I just test drove all 3 in the last month. I'd put the power of the 6.7 up against the ford all day long and I would bet in the 1/4 the thing would put more then one buslenth on the ford. The chevy felt strong, but it wasn't any better. The chevy didn't feel as solid to me when driving it, the dodge felt like it was just built on a WAY stiffer frame to me, and the general feel when driving was better, I felt more attached to the dodge then the chevy. The ford, as comfy as it was, felt very heavy and bulky to drive, only comparison I can come up with, is if the ford was a 86 monte carlo, the dodge felt like a 4th gen fbody.

The dodge rides more like a truck, but it's the only 3/4 ton left you can get with a solid front axle, which ot me is way stronger and better suited for heavy use as well, something that alot of people may not think about. The new 6 speed tranny is tough too, made by Aisian, which is one of allison's biggest competitors. Thing shifts as hard, like my TH400 does, nice and solid feeling like it should be.
Ouch! My truck is better than your truck. J/K. I installed a Dr.Performance module to take care of some power and an Airaid drop in filter. Truck feels wayyy better now. Only got 750 miles on it so Ill update on MPG after this next tank. Im sure it will pull the Camaro just fine. Nice luxuries too like heated seats and mirrors, navigation, back-up camera, leather seats, chrome galore on the inside, captains chairs, and four wheel drive to boot.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:52 AM
Race your car!

Yeah, the Ford I looked at had the captain's charis and they were great, like I said, interior comfort wise it was the best IMO.

I'm sure the chip and an intake will help the power otu alot, probably another 150 hp from that alone I'd guess.

What I bought didn't have the nav or the backup camera or any of that, does have power everything, power rear sliding mirror, heater mirror's, sirius radio, the better cloth seats. I personally don't like leather, summer time it sucks burning your legs on it, the heated seats in the winter time shouldn't ever be cold, so at least you don't have that to deal with.

I personally have never been a leather interior guy, just not my thing. They're nice, I just don't care for it.

Ya should be able to pull anything you ever want to I'm sure. I bought mine with the intent of being able to put a child seat in the back (not safe in the front seat IMO) be able to bring a couple people with me to the track when I go, and be able to pull the next trailer I purchase. The 18 foot open one I have now the truck will laugh at and noe even know it's there, the next one with the way it's looking will be a 26 foot enclosed, that I'll definately need the truck for I'm sure when it's loaded with all the **** I want to be able to bring with me.

If I had the space, I'd buy a 30 foot 5th wheel one, but I have nowhere to keep something that big.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you do go ford go with the 7.3 they stopped making them in the middle of 03 IMO they are the best motor if you want a ford.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

man nice trucks guys, lol..I have a 1990 ford 7.3 e350 cube van I tow my enclosed trailer and tools with and it gets the job done.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:36 PM
Turbo Addict

My brother used to work for a Ford dealership, told me to stay away from the newer diesels as mentioned....all kinds of problems, and very weak head gaskets, he was always changing them in customer's trucks who up'd the power with a tuner.
I bought an '02 crew cab F250.....it's actually for sale now because I don't need it/can't afford it/am getting married. Mine of course has the 7.3 in it which as long as the HPOP (high pressure oil pump for injectors) isn't leaking and the front ball joints are good/replaced, mine have been, the truck should last forever with proper maintenance. Mine has 68K on it and would get 17-21mpg driving it easy with the mileage tuner in it. The only real trailer I ever towed was 11,000lbs and if memory serves it got 12-13 in the mountains...seemed to tow it pretty well.
A few things to consider, the fords will ride a little rougher due to the solid axle up front and the engines are a little louder. GM's are smoother riding due to the IFS and the newer engines are really quiet. Just something to think about if there is a chance you are concerned about either of these. I was planning on lifting it so the SA is easier/cheaper.
Also if you will be modding for 400-450plus rwhp then go for the earlier 7.3's, they don't have powder metal rods and can handle more.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by billybadd
my 6.4l is getting 14 city/18 highway without a trailer. Not great but IMO the comfort is the best out of the other 2.
Ditto for me. I have an 08' myself I bought in March of 07'. I get about the same MPG with the 6.4L as you and does tow really nice. if you need more power for some reason, Spartan makes a kick *** tuner. I have been hearing folks pick up 2-4 mpg just by removing the DPF, shows how big of a resriction that is.

I did drive a Dodge recently and they do seem to pull harder, and the 6 speed is real nice, the Cummins is a great motor too, not as much rear leg room as my 4 door though. Over all it was a nice truck.

I also think the 7.3L ford was one of the best reliable motors they had.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:23 AM
FormerVendor

I have owned an early '03 Ford 7.3 PSD with 4r100 auto, CC LB DRW 2wd, GREAT truck. Rode like a cadillac, pulled like a monster, stopped like a Vette. Auto tranny went out @ 38K miles, not it's fault if you ask me. Grossing 25-30K LBS, and my truck was modded as well. So, extra power AND alot of weight is a no-no on teh stock tranny. Empty @ town 14-15 MPG with 4.10's. Highway 16-17 MPG depending on speed. Grossing @ 18K Lbs on up to 30K Lbs mileage is bascially the same, 8-12 MPG. Hauling just a single car hauler with a car, highway 14-15 MPG

My nieghbor owns a 04 DMax. CC LB SRW Allison auto 2wd. Good truck, rides nice, hauls good. I know he gets @ 16MPG @ town and like 18-19 MPG empty on highway. Not sure loaded.

My current ride is an 03 Dodge CTD HO 305/555 6 speed CC LB DRW 2wd. This truck (Cummins) will outpull ANY light duty diesel on the market. Period. Nothing touches it. Truck rides like a wagon, and my wife hates it. But this thing is a pure workhorse. Everything about it is heavy duty. Motor is overkill. NV5600, nothing stouter. The AAM rear end is bullet proof. Empty, @ town 15-16 MPG. Highway 16-18MPG depending on speed. Hauling single car hauler with car, highway 15-16MPG. Loaded down and grossing 18K LBS on up to 30K Lbs, same as my 7.3 PSD, 8-12 MPG. Cummins will outpull my old PSD, and that truck was a very good hauler.

Conclusion:
If you need a WORK truck, the Cummins is it. Period. End of argument. Motor will outlive you and any other motor out there.
If you need a truck to pull your trailer on teh weekend, ride nice during the week for the family, wife will enjoy, that type of truck....can not go wrong with the 7.3 PSD or teh Duramax.

DO NOT GET THE 6.0 PSD!!!!!!! I have first hand knowledge, and not a he said she said thing. My Uncle has an Excursion that is used to haul KIDS and that is it. No boat. No trailer. NO HAULING other than kids, items for warranty already replaced with less than 75K miles: Injectors. Head gaskets. Turbo.

I used to haul cars cross country and I have a friend that HAD 2 6.0 PSD in his fleet. BOTH trucks, between 30-50K miles had injectors, head gaskets, turbos, and one of them has had teh motor replaced. Now, these trucks are subjected to hauling heavy loads, but have NOT been modded. He sold those trucks and picked up 2 '06 CTD's to replace those trucks, and has not been happier.

Work truck: 03 to current CTD
weekend warrior hauler: 7.3 PSD or DMax

Since the 7.3 was stopped being produced in 03, gonna be hard to find a truck with fewer miles on it, so....

That being said, I would buy: 08 6.7 CTD 6 speed auto 4wd Mega Cab

The best LOOKING truck on teh road is the '08 Ford CC LB F450 6.4. We will see about the motor, but so far so good. tranny is good as well.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:02 AM
Race your car!

An update on my 08 ram with the 6.7, I have about 1000 miles on it now, have only gotten fuel twice (nice) for it. I have checked the mileage, first tank which had 50/50 higheay/city driving and it was about 15.8 mpg, the 2nd tank which had abxolutely no highway on it at all was about 14.9.

Mind you, this is untouched, I haven't done a thing to it other then drive it, and there are no miles on it at all, I have been told by the dealer and several others that own them not to expect the mileage to start getting up there until it has about 10K on it, which will take me about 8 months LOL.

The power is endless with this thing, it will blow the tires off in 1st, shift to 2nd and smoke them if you stay in it and will chirp 3rd, power is amazing.

It rides stiff, but with a solid front axle I expected that, and actually enjoy it, I feel like I'm in a truck again.

The leg room in the back seat isn't bad, could be better, but I didn't feel like spending another 3 grand on a mega cab over what I paid for the regular quad cab, so I'll live with it. Kids, and adults that aren't my size (6'3 275) fit back there fine, and I definately have the seat back a good bit, making the back seat room worse then it would be waith anyone that's normal size LOL.

I have to get the bedliner done and the brake controller put in, probably gonna do that first week in March, after that the airbox will get done when the stock airfilter needs changing, I want to ditch the muffler and dump it out the side, but I'm waiting until there's 100% working DPF delete and CAT delete setups out that don't trip the SES light before I do anything there. EGR will get deleted too when there's a way to trick the computer into thinking that is working, which I am sure will be along soon enough. I hear from guys that have deleted them already (ses lights are all on, which I don't want) and there's supposedly a 40 rwhp and 75 rwtq gain from losing that crap alone, and about 4 mpg worth of gain, so I will be doing it, as soon as a good delete setup is out.

I did do one highway run at the beginning of a tank of fuel, and the overhead after about 45 miles on the highway cirusing at 65 got up to 19.4 mpg... I didn't stop to fill it up again adn hand calculate it, but the overhead the 2 times I checked it was about a mpg off (for the worse) from what it really is getting, so that's a good sign IMO.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

Thumbs down dont buy a 6.0 psd

they're junk, if you have to have a ford get a 7.3. if you want a newer one than that get a cummins 5.9. any diesel with egr and exhaust filters suck!
i work at international and wont have a job after july because of these over priced junk diesel we now have to build!

Originally Posted by FANCHERFAST
i just bought a 24' enclosed for my car. i took the new setup to the track using my 1997 Chevy 1/2 pickup. it did alright but i have been wanting a 3/4 ton pickup for a while. i have been looking on-line and i would really like to keep the price down due to the economy and really want a 4 door for the extra room. high mileage trucks dont scare me becuase i know that if they are taken care of they will last for a while. i like the look of the Ford f250 and the price is about right. i have been looking at 2003-2004 trucks online. my buddy tells me to stay away from a Ford Diesel becuase they dont pull that wall and the fuel mileage sucks. i would for sure put a cold air intake, exhaust, and a programer but are the Ford Diesel's really that bad. who on here has one of these trucks and what has your experience been? thanks for the help!
Old 02-19-2009, 10:04 PM
8 Second Club

I have a 99 f 350 super crew long bed 7.3 auto has 315000 miles. The engine has never had a leake or a problem had 30000 when the trans started slipping, other than the trans build it has only had oil changes and other normal stuff. Mine gets 13 to 16 unloaded but i drive mad. It gets from 7.5 to 11 pulling my trailer.( i put it on the scalesover 18000) it will run 80 to 90mph up over down are around hills. predator ,banks 6 gun , 4inch magnsflow turbo back exhaust, wicked wheel turbo wheel,and cold air kit. IF YOU WANT TO KNOW ANYTHING ON THESE TRUCKS GO TO fordtrucks.com