Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: how did/would YOU build your drag machine.
street/strip
76.62%
all out race
23.38%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

street/strip or trailered race car.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 12:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trailer and winch so as long as it rolls I can still get it home.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I LOVE being able to drive mine on the street.
I honestly am not sure that I would enjoy my car near as much if I couldn't drive it on the street.
It can definately hold it's own on the strack.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mines a Street/strip and I drive it to the track but would love to have a trailer just incase, the car breaks.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i want a trailer for my street car
Old 04-06-2009, 06:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Street car is fun if we didnt live in california. Its a lot of fun when you are young to go to cruise ins and drive around with your friends. California is not the place at all for a street car.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:37 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Unless you're taking your stock (or mostly stock) car to the track a trailer is really nice, unless you happen to be one of those lucky souls who live near the track. I don't care what parts you use, a fast car can and will break ****. There's a good chance it'll break at the track. I've had several friends who have driven their street cars to the track and had to call back for a tow when it broke.

I always build my cars to be 90% street driven, because I don't go to the track very often. I can't justify owning a track only car.

If you can't afford a trailer, do what I did back in the day and borrow one. I loan mine out all the time now.

I used to trailer my 13 second GN to the track (when it ran 13's anyway). People laughed. Then I spun a rod bearing going low 12's shortly after. That 2 hour tow would have cost me dearly that sunday...probably half what I paid for my trailer!

On a side note, I do plan to drive my camaro to the closer (45 minutes) 1/8 mile track this summer so I had towing coverage put on my insurance. It cost me I think $4 for 6 months and covers towing for a 100 mile radius. Its a viable trailer option.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:30 PM
12 Second Club

I think this is a dilema that all of us run into at some point. I think it all comes down to your goals with your car. I prefer to bracket race, so I can keep it streetable and still can compete at the track. If you are into class racing then a full blown race car seems like the only way to do it. If I had it my way, I would have a trailer to take it to and from the track and drive it on the street whenever I want.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:37 PM
9 Second Club

We trailor to the track just in case of a breakage other than that I enjoy driving them on the street. I have had a couple of mid 8 sec Mustangs that were trailor cars and thoroughly enjoyed them but I really like being able to cruise around with the AC blowing(if I want), stereo blasting(well maybe not blasting!) and still be able to run mid 9's at the track on street tires and pump gas. I know thats not crazy fast by todays standards but still respectable for a REAL street car
Old 04-06-2009, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think the best thing seems to have a trailer to go to the strip with, but also leave the car very streetable. It seems inevitable that when serious drag racing is taking place parts are going to break. I dont think it's bad to tow a car to the track because if you put alot of miles on you can still call it a street car.

My only advice to a 11 second and under guy who drives to the track is to have AAA, it will probably come in handy.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have made 9sec passes and driven home (2hours). If I leave the bottle at home I am comfortable driving it to the track, the trailer is nice to have though, and I have needed the trailer a time or 2 when I drove. Drive-line parts break when track prep is good
Old 04-07-2009, 08:56 AM
11 Second Club

about the only time i get to drive my car is when we go to the track. But the only way i will drive it is if there are enough other buddies going that could drive theirs home if i need the trailer. For example, a few years ago before i had a window switch for the n20, i missed a gear while spraying, bent a bunch of valves. Motor was stock other than n20. Well my buddy let me use his enclosed trailer and he drove his 8 sec, Grand National home. (he had to put race gas in the cell about 4 time on the way home). I wanted to give him gas money, but he said he had so much fun driving his car home he didnt want anything.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:44 AM
9 Second Club

I love it when street driven 8-second race cars come to my 10-second trailered car to borrow tools, jump starter, air, bottled water and shelter (okay I don't have an enclosed trailer yet but you get the point).

If you want to race, build a race car
Old 04-07-2009, 01:09 PM
8 Second Club

Its stupid to make your car street strip if you can afford to make it race only. I drove my car on the street for about 3 years 2 of which it was in the low 10s. If you have the trailer don't waste your money paying insurance on something you hardly drive. I regret keeping my car on the street as long as I did becasue it kept me from doing stuff like taking the heater core out and manual brakes, manual steering etc. Like said before if you want to race build a race car its a lot cheaper. For all the bull **** upgrading I did because I wanted to keep my car streetable I could have bought a dragster.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like having a warm place to sit between runs at the track.

And the old addage - the more you make, the more you break. No worries about getting home with the trailer.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being that I do around 100 runs each year the thought of breaking down at the track kept getting louder and louder.

so I listened to myself and bought this last fall

...so I could buy this, last week.

I told my wife it's just a little more insurance. lol
Old 04-07-2009, 03:11 PM
11 Second Club

GTO1 I WANT BOTHHHH OF THOSE!!! lol
Old 04-07-2009, 03:52 PM
8 Second Club

i would rather have a 9 or even a 10 second street car than an 8 second racecar. i have had racecars and fast street cars and i have enjoyed the street cars ALOT more. i still prefer trailoring it to the track but love being able to drive it around whenever i want. so unless you can afford both my vote goes for street/strip.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:01 PM
FormerVendor

I have had both, and just really depends on what you can put up with, and how much money you have.

Sure. It would be nice to build a nice 8 sec street car that I can take to the track. Just takes alot of money to get there. Teh thing is, when you get that fast, you start getting hassled by Johnny Law, then trying to get it inspected, carrying insurance on it, etc....

If I could have it BOTH ways, I would do:

1) '09 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Hemi 6 speed, some bolt ons, exhaust, run some mid to low 12's, and call it done.

2) Finish my 25.5 chassis race car and haul it to the track with my Cummins.

Since I am not made of money, just gonna have to pass on the Challenger, and finish my race car.

Fast street car, you WILL get hassled by the law around here.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:04 PM
TECH Resident

I drive my car on the street but have been told I have a race car
Old 04-07-2009, 04:10 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

I've never owned a super fast drag car (8 seconds or faster) BUT I have learned to listen to older/more experienced gearheads when they talk. The majority of the guys who have actually owned real track only cars actually tend to like my car better because I can enjoy it on the street. Many of them say if they could go back they would stop where I'm at and be able to use the car more.

Quick Reply: street/strip or trailered race car.