Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: how did/would YOU build your drag machine.
street/strip
76.62%
all out race
23.38%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

street/strip or trailered race car.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 04:21 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive mine on the street but if I had the space and could afford it right now I would trailor it.
Also there are some races at other tracks that I would like to go to but can't because it's just too much to drive this thing around.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:10 AM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 9sec93
i would rather have a 9 or even a 10 second street car than an 8 second racecar. i have had racecars and fast street cars and i have enjoyed the street cars ALOT more. i still prefer trailoring it to the track but love being able to drive it around whenever i want. so unless you can afford both my vote goes for street/strip.
I agree 100%. I like cars that can serve both purposes over a track only car, but I know everyone is different in their preferences. I love getting the thumbs up stuff when driving the Nova around, and when I did a car show last Saturday then left at drove right to the track for bracket races that afternoon. Quite a few people were asking about "where's the trailer?" when I hit the staging lanes. I will trailer the car to races during the summer when it's hot or to the away races, but I still love driving on the street.

Derek
Old 04-08-2009, 02:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my goal is to have the best of both worlds eventually...

a solid 10 or 9 sec drag car (my current camaro)

and a clean mild head cammed porsche 944 ls1 for a DD
Old 04-08-2009, 02:48 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by TS6
BUT I have learned to listen to older/more experienced gearheads when they talk. The majority of the guys who have actually owned real track only cars actually tend to like my car better because I can enjoy it on the street. Many of them say if they could go back they would stop where I'm at and be able to use the car more.
I was one of those guys. I had a track only car, after finally taking it off teh street and making it track only. After a few years of track only, I was like, "this sucks, I HATE having to trailer my car to the track, I want to drive it on teh street" So, I sold teh race car, and built a serious street car, and was like "this SUCKS, I HATE it, i wish I had my race car back"

The reason teh serious street car got old was trying to find someone to inspect it, getting pulled over for "loud exhaust" or "no front plates", and even a "looked fast, thought something might be illegal on it" as well. Just got tired of hacing Johnny Law jack with me. So, I sold it as well, and now building a race car that I am gonna drive on the street VERY RARELY, if ever.

You can go back and forth on both forever, and even in my case, have owned both, and STILL be not quite sure which. So, again, this car, is gonna be track 99.5% of the time, but I left teh lights and turn signals on teh car for the "just in case".
Old 04-10-2009, 12:27 AM
TECH Resident

Don't cut corners you do not need a trailer. Ours is driven in rain, snow anything. These are not expensive cars. I drive over 100k miles a year and not afraid of other drivers. I do tow my other racer though it is a boat.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by kmracer
i was just talking with my dad and we got on to the subject of trailered VS driving to the track, or really, just a car thats streetable VS all out track car, no tags, insurance, smog, RACE GAS, etc.

to ME, i'd rather have an 8 second car you can drive to the track comfortably, CLEAN HOUSE on the lame trailered cars, then drive home. to me, that is the ULTIMATE testimate of a build if a guy can build a ***** to the wall PUMP gas street car that you can drive almost anywhere. he says its not worth the hassle. he says its not worth the hassle of the cops bothering you, etc.

i was just wondering how you guys feel about the subject....

and how many of you guys get bothered by the cops?

It would be nice to have an 8 sec car to drive around but that's really not the best of both worlds. That's whats nice about our cars, drive them anywhere, throw some nitrous on and still be able to go on a cruise for a few hours. I drive mine to the track, but if I had the room, I would have a trailer....I've blown up my 10 bolt 3 times and that took out the tranny twice, so it would have been nice to have a trailer.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by js2fst
Don't cut corners you do not need a trailer. Ours is driven in rain, snow anything. These are not expensive cars. I drive over 100k miles a year and not afraid of other drivers. I do tow my other racer though it is a boat.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:59 PM
10 Second Club

u cant make everyone happy..i drive my car most of the time but have trailered it a few, scared of the 10 blot haha. i think a lot of ppl would love to have a 9sec or faster street car it just cost a little bit more..for the price of that u could prob have a 9 sec race car and quick street car. i drive almost 275 miles round trip 60 dollars in fuel or 150+ on a trailer.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Honestly, why not have both. 1 car for the track, 1 car for the street and DD the truck. Thats how it should be done.

However, if you can't afford that... then I would prefer to have a car I could enjoy on the street.

How often do you go to the track? That is probably the most important question.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

at the end of the day, the trailer guys have a GREAT point, and you have to agree that having a trailer is nice. theres just that certian aura or alure to a 10/9/8 second pump gas street car that i think i'll always be obsessed with. ahha.

Last edited by kmracer; 04-11-2009 at 03:30 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I could drive my car to the track. But I wouldn't want to. I have in the past, and got a nail in my drag radial on the return road. That was fun having to leave the car there, and call for a ride, go home, and come back the next day to get it. There's always the chance of something happening, and being stranded at the track is never fun.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

In the perfect world we would all have a 9 sec street car and a 7 sec race car. but thats not happening for most of us. I would just like to have a good mid 10 street/strip ride, but i would also have a trailer so i could tow it to the track just incase of a breakage. The added cost that comes with having a track only car and a quick street car is that having a quick street car is ok, thats easy enough. Having a fast track car is ok, thats easy enough. But the cost comes in when you have to buy the truck and trailer and all the cost that comes along with all of that. with the street strip you might poay more now but in the end you'll probably save money over having to buy a truck, trailer, street car, and a race car.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by yrlosing
i think! Why have a car you can't drive and enjoy! :d

we have a small group of cars that all drive on the street and are fully legal! The slowest is high 9's to low 8's. We would hate to have a fast car that just sat in the garage all the time.

Now! If it's a race at the track? Then yes we will trailor it just in case. Dosen't mean it not a street car! Just using our heads. But if we feel like hoping in the car and making a car show or fun run, we can!

I say! Build what you want! But don't let anyone tell you what it is! If you want a track car or street car or both? Build it!

It is what you want it to be!
agreed:d
Old 04-18-2009, 02:04 PM
9 Second Club

For each his own, for me however it's drive it to and from the track only! I usually have a friend or so at the track with a trailer just in case I break. My current times are 11.80s driving to and from with ET Streets, my next goal is 11.50s, then 10.90s still on motor and eventually 9s on the spray still driving it to and from. I have owned an all out race truck and it is extremely fun but not having AC, PS etc.. gets old and of course always having to load and unload isn't fun. This topic will always go either way and is totally subjective to the indiviual but a 9sec grocery getter will always get my vote vs a 9sec trailer queen!
GL
Old 04-22-2009, 03:30 PM
7 Second Club

all it will take is one break down at the track and you'll have a tow rig and trailer

Quick Reply: street/strip or trailered race car.