Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attempted burnout in waterbox, UMI torque arm snapped, set off airbags...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 10:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Attempted burnout in waterbox, UMI torque arm snapped, set off airbags...

Back in July I met up with some friends at the NMRA/NMCA races at Route 66 Raceway in Joliet, IL. On a whim, I decided to run in True Street. I made a weak shakedown pass with my BFG drag radials at 20 PSI. Everything seemed OK.

For the next pass, I aired down the tires to 12 PSI.
I drove to the water box. The tech guy gave us the signal to do a burn out. I revved the engine up to 5K, dumped the clutch, and
BOOOOOOOOOMMMMM!!!

It felt like something under the car exploded. Way, way louder than when my driveshaft broke a few years ago at the track. There was smoke everywhere. The airbags had deployed.

I trailered the car home and let it sit for a few weeks. This week I finally had some time to replace the dash and take a look under the car. The upper mount of the torque arm tube split right where the tube meets to the integrated nut...

Here's the basics of my setup:
  • Heads / cam LT1
  • McLeod Street Twin
  • Stock T56
  • 4" aluminum driveshaft
  • Moser 9" with standard Ford Posi and 4.11 gears
  • UMI model 2205 arm
  • model 2209 torque arm relocation kit
  • LG coilovers
  • LG rear swaybar
  • Rod-ended aluminum LCA's, installed in the middle notch on the relocation brackets (they sit parallel to the ground when the car is at rest)
  • Rod-ended PHR
  • 315/35R17 BFG drag radials on 17x11 GrandSports

I want to make one thing clear--I do not want to blindly point the finger at UMI for this failure. I certainly think it's worth reviewing the construction of the arms (such as the quality and penetration of the welds at the ends of the tubes). But first I want to rule out that this breakage happened due to a problem with how I set up the car. I'd like to share that information with the community so people know how to avoid running into this same problem.

I had the pinion angle set to -1 degree, based on the method in this video. However, I'm sure there's more to this failure than just pinion angle.

Has anyone seen this particular failure happen before? If so, what usually causes it?

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2009, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

no pics....n i wanna c...sounds bad
Old 09-01-2009, 12:47 AM
LC
TECH Resident

the airbags deployed on a burnout? WTF?
Old 09-01-2009, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

i couldnt imagine the WTF look on your face...

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah POOF
Old 09-01-2009, 01:47 AM
TECH Regular

id give umi a call and send it back to them it split right at the weld so it has something to do with the welds. im sure they would be more than happy to replace it and want it to see wat went wrong.-tony-
Old 09-01-2009, 02:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

the same thing happened to my friend's UMI torque arm (broke at the same area too) but his air bags didn't deploy. It was the newer design like yours too. i have the same one and i hope this doesn't happen..
Old 09-01-2009, 04:41 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

That, is a problem. You're not making anywhere NEAR the power it should take to do that. I'd definately be getting on the phone with UMI
Old 09-01-2009, 06:38 AM
FormerVendor

Not good to see..

Send us an e-mail to sales@umiperformance.com with your name, address, phone # and we will get you a replacement in the mail.

Sorry to see,
Ryan
Old 09-01-2009, 08:18 AM
TECH Regular

Nice to see UMI step up on this and not get a mod to lock the thread because they don't want to deal with the problem like with thier badly manufactured Rear Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/11740644-post65.html

I didn't even get a reply, just thier stonewalling that there isn't a problem with thier brackets. I want to be refunded the difference in price since I had to convert them to weld-ins, which I would have gladly bought if I would have known thier bolt-ins wouldn't fit.

In any case, interesting that they have issues with part fitment and now welds... Pretty sad actually, considering how many people seem to be going with thier stuff...
Old 09-01-2009, 08:31 AM
11 Second Club

Ryan at UMI is awesome to deal with and he's a top notch guy. I'm sure he'll take care of this promptly.

If anyone is out their way, I urge you to stop in and tour their shop.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:35 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 95 TA - The Beast
Nice to see UMI step up on this and not get a mod to lock the thread because they don't want to deal with the problem like with thier badly manufactured Rear Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/11740644-post65.html

I didn't even get a reply, just thier stonewalling that there isn't a problem with thier brackets. I want to be refunded the difference in price since I had to convert them to weld-ins, which I would have gladly bought if I would have known thier bolt-ins wouldn't fit.

In any case, interesting that they have issues with part fitment and now welds... Pretty sad actually, considering how many people seem to be going with thier stuff...
An error in a manufactured item can happen, no company is perfect and every manufacture has had an item break... no company can claim they are flawless. We understand issues happen and we will take care of them to the best of our ability. We move thousands of torque arms out of here a year, I hate to see even one break but apparently it happens. When you are racing things are going to go wrong, suspension, drive train, transmission ect ect. We hate to see it but we will correct the situation and deal with the user.

As for the relocation bracket thread, it was locked by a moderator. We did everything in our ability to help. We told people on multiple times to call us and speak with our technical support... no call but they continued to post and complain. I am not familiar with your situation and don't recall ever dealing with exchanging brackets for weld in's? Did you speak with us during this swap?? If you feel the situation wasn't resolved correctly please e-mail sales@umiperformance.com with the details or call Brad in customer support. Explain the details on what happened, I honestly don't recall this situation. We can work out a solution for you and we will be happy to do it.

Thank you,
Ryan
Old 09-01-2009, 12:23 PM
10 Second Club

I saw this happen. Glad to see your getting it fix and running again.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:24 PM
9 Second Club

Looks like UMI is on top of this one. Nice to see!
Old 09-01-2009, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

seen you break that at 66 i heard the loud nosie you were talking about also in the stands
Old 09-01-2009, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not the first time a Torque Arm has broken and not the last time either. WHen you install the new one make sure you follow the directions to the T.... I have heard of people going to nuts with the adjustment's........ that might put to much tenesion on them... who knows....... only thing that matters is when the company steps up

Another reason I don't like air bags on cars that go to the track... I am scratching my head though on why they went off..
Old 09-01-2009, 04:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Not the first time a Torque Arm has broken and not the last time either. WHen you install the new one make sure you follow the directions to the T.... I have heard of people going to nuts with the adjustment's........ that might put to much tenesion on them... who knows....... only thing that matters is when the company steps up

Another reason I don't like air bags on cars that go to the track... I am scratching my head though on why they went off..

Isn't the airbag control module under the center console? I'm sure it would fire the bags if you whacked it hard enough.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bird_Of_Prey
Isn't the airbag control module under the center console? I'm sure it would fire the bags if you whacked it hard enough.
Yup! that's what I was thinking...it sits RIGHT there below the front end of the TA...
Old 09-01-2009, 05:11 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gillbot
Ryan at UMI is awesome to deal with and he's a top notch guy. I'm sure he'll take care of this promptly.
Agreed! Ryan is great to deal with!

I was at the track in the stands when it happened too. That's why they hang the disclaimer signs at the entrance. It's a dangerous sport, and anything can happen...even to the safest & best-equipped of competitors.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I forgot to add that UMI also took care of my friend nicely with a free replacement
Old 09-01-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good ole stick car breaking another torqure arm. I have broken my fair share. Never set off the air bags, just let the air out of a tire once. Good luck, I hope it doesn't happen to you again.

Quick Reply: Attempted burnout in waterbox, UMI torque arm snapped, set off airbags...