Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ET streets when can you tell if they need replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 10:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ET streets when can you tell if they need replaced?

I have a set of 26x11.5-16 MT ET Streets. I bought them used and believe them to be about 4 yrs old. I did not use them at all last year, the car was broke. I want to go out and make some passes this fall. Is it safe to use these tires? The car should run high 10s @ 135ish. I am just trying to get a couple track days out of them.
Thanks
Chris
Old 09-17-2009, 11:18 AM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on the dot or depth left, the sidewall flex, how many times they've been used and the heat cycles they have been though, etc.

I've had a set of slicks last 180 passes and worn them almost to the dot was gone, but now I usually kill the sidewalls before running out of depth (the penalty for running a 3600 lb car on a transbrake). Check them for rot or cracks. Have they been mounted the entire 4 years? how were they stored (outside, inside, on a car or off)?

Derek
Old 09-17-2009, 11:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Villain281H
It depends on the dot or depth left, the sidewall flex, how many times they've been used and the heat cycles they have been though, etc.

I've had a set of slicks last 180 passes and worn them almost to the dot was gone, but now I usually kill the sidewalls before running out of depth (the penalty for running a 3600 lb car on a transbrake). Check them for rot or cracks. Have they been mounted the entire 4 years? how were they stored (outside, inside, on a car or off)?

Derek
What do you mean by dot?

For the last 2 yrs they were stored mounted on the wheels open in the garage. I just stood them up in the corner. I never expected the car to be down this long. I know the rear tires have lost a lot of air. I will check them for cracks.

The fronts look fine. Will they be OK?

Thanks
Old 09-17-2009, 11:31 AM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marlowchris
What do you mean by dot?

For the last 2 yrs they were stored mounted on the wheels open in the garage. I just stood them up in the corner. I never expected the car to be down this long. I know the rear tires have lost a lot of air. I will check them for cracks.

The fronts look fine. Will they be OK?

Thanks
By dot I mean tread depth, but since drag slicks and dot legal bias plys don't have true tread, some use the term dot since drag slicks have dots to gauge how much life is left.

You want to keep tires stored on their side when not in use, and away from the sun and elements if possible. Slicks will usually lose air, but it all depends on tubes or not, sealing properties of the sidewall and rim.

You can also get an idea how many heat cycles the tires have seen by looking at the "M/T" that's on the sidewall. When the tires are new, that stamp is light in color. The more heat cycles it goes through the darker it gets.

Derek