Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do people get sponsors

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 01:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do people get sponsers

well just kind of curious... What are the ways that people obtain sponserships when it comes to modifying your car. As you guys know this hobby can get quite expensive, especially for the big power builds. Im 15K into a turbo build right now and its almost up and running but there are still some areas that i need to improve even once it's done. Mainly a th400 or 4l80e, Tuning, a driveshaft, Torque arm and suspension peices. maybe a bigger turbo. rollcage etc. Do you pretty much have to class race for a sponsor to help you out with anything, so they know their name will be seen at events? send an email with info and request for a sponsership or help with parts in return for running a sticker or something? how do you guys do it. Thanks for the insight

Last edited by lt1badbird; 09-14-2009 at 01:30 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:43 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You pretty much have to prove you can win races and/or go fast WITHOUT a sponsor first. Unless you or your dad owns the company thats pretty much how it works, its extremely hard to get people to give you cash or parts for a car and team that isnt proven.

Once you start doing well some sponsors will come to you (especially if you are doing very well using their parts), others you will have to make a sales pitch, professional presentation and all. Its pretty much a full time job once you start getting a decent amount of sponsor money, you are expected to perform. Of course you can try for some local parts store sponsorships and other small businesses and get a few bucks here and there without a huge commitment on your end but these days money is tight.

Also beware of some parts places and speed shop 'sponsorships,' lot of them promise big discounts on parts and labor if you put their decals on the car. In the end you end up paying the same (or more) as someone that walks in off the street
Old 09-14-2009, 08:57 AM
7 Second Club

you have to be racing in front of large crowds and winning.... the car is just a moving billboard that attracts more attention the faster it goes.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:18 AM
Launching!

Its simple marketing and has little to do with winning, phil verderher wrote a good book and cd for people wanting to aquire sponsorship.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

For the OP: You're stuck finishing the car, and getting out there and racing before you have any hope of getting real sponsorship help.

I've been racing for over 20 years in one way or another, and have had various sponsor's over the years, sometimes it's good, other times you get stuck playing guniea pig on parts, so be ready for that to happen too, if you get lucky enough to pick someone up.

Best advise I can give, be personable, produce results, and it helps when ya have a car that already draws a crowd, because it's ultra clean, runs like a ****, does great big F-U wheelstands for 300 feet. Just have something that sets it apart from the other cars in your class, and the chances of getting noticed, are alot better.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

I have seen a few really good threads on this, search your topic in the drag section. Most will tell you that you have to prove the car and yourself first unless you have in the past..
Old 09-15-2009, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

it seems like most of the time you have to proven first and prove you a serious/dedicated racer. at that point they will help improve your car from what it is. Sometime it does seem like some guys get lucky and run into the right shop that might be new and wants to prove their work.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Basically from my understanding it's either you produce results in the area they want to advertise....or be family memeber or friend of the shop. The guy who does my car is opening a full out shop this year and my car and one other will be their reprsenting shop cars. Mine however is being treated as the "Street shop car". It will not go to the track or see the track ever, it will be a strict street racing grudge car that noone will know what is done, only how fast it is and who we beat. Were using this angle in hopes of advertising to/attracting the street racing crowd and show what we can do on the street and not just build crazy track cars. This is basically the only reason im gonna get discounts, but it came down to knowing the owner and I will probably only get labor discount. Sponsorship can be a HUGE help in this world, but still seems like it takes alot of money to get the point of getting a sponsorship. Sorry for the half hijack and gl with your build, sounds like it'll be a hell of a car.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:32 PM
9 Second Club

you dont ever have to win a race to get a sponsorship deal....

Its all in the marketing, its a bis......

Phil valdeer has a pretty good basic package that explains how to get some smaller local deals on racing screts.com The bigger ones are tricky to get 300k deals or more your constantly on the phone or traveling when your not racing and selling yourself and your team. It is more than a full time job to find backing and to keep it and keep everyone involved happy
Old 09-17-2009, 11:27 AM
7 Second Club

As mentioned, it's an involved process. I've been racing 18 years, and sponsors can be hard to come with today's economy. But they are out there.

Derek