Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strang Brakes On All 4 Corners and Not Stopping Well.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 11:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strang Brakes On All 4 Corners and Not Stopping Well.

Alright, I have just installed a full set of Strange Drag brakes on all corners. With a new master cyl., SJM line lock kit, stainless lines, and have bled, and bled, and bled, and bled, and..... well you get the idea. They do not stop hardly at all!!! It takes 2 pumps of the peddle before it will start stopping the car. Is there something else that I have over looked? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

-Coleman
Old 10-26-2009, 03:14 AM
Launching!

Get some speed bleeders, they take the work out of bleeding breaks. Turns it into a quick job.

Did you also bleed the abs block in the back?
Old 10-26-2009, 05:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you bleed out both sides of the calipers. I only have strange brakes on the rear of my car and they grab hard.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:55 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What master cylinder? Also did you redrill the brake pedal??

225-343-9029
Old 10-26-2009, 08:03 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MurderedOut
Get some speed bleeders, they take the work out of bleeding breaks. Turns it into a quick job.

Did you also bleed the abs block in the back?
I thought about getting some of those, just never did. All ABS has been deleted. Front and rear. It's a '98 car so, it only had three channel anyways.

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
did you bleed out both sides of the calipers. I only have strange brakes on the rear of my car and they grab hard.
No I did not. Only bled out of the outside ports. I guess I didn't read where I was suppose to bleed out of both

Originally Posted by MADMAN
What master cylinder? Also did you redrill the brake pedal??
It's a factory master cylinder. What is this "redrilling the brake pedal" you speak of?

Thanks for the replies guys!

-Coleman
Old 10-26-2009, 08:04 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you went to a manual master you are going to lose braking power. Your effort as the driver to slow the car will increase. You can redrill the brake pedal like Madman is saying to give you more leverage.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:08 AM
TECH Regular

It still has a factory power master cylinder.

-Coleman
Old 10-26-2009, 08:34 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something is wrong, bleed the master and make sure and bleed the top bleed screws on the calipers.

I use one of those little bottles that hangs on with a magnet and the hose connects to the bleeder screw and just keep pumping until no bubbles are in the line (9.00 at advance auto). Start at the furthest caliper from the master.

Also make sure the calipers are centered on the rotor.

Brakes should feel no different then stock as far as initial stopping power and pedal height.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:39 AM
TECH Regular

Is there another way to bleed the master cyl, than bench bleeding it? I bench bled the master before I put it on the car. Then bled the brake system out of the top ports just like you stated above kp.

-Coleman
Old 10-26-2009, 09:19 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by BTLBABY
Is there another way to bleed the master cyl, than bench bleeding it? I bench bled the master before I put it on the car. Then bled the brake system out of the top ports just like you stated above kp.

-Coleman
Bench bleed should be fine, if you have some air trapped somewhere the 'pump, hold pedal down and open bleeder' method doesnt work all the time, especially starting with an empty system. The little bottle method just leaves the bleeder open and you can watch the bubbles in the line so you know when you have clear fluid going through and no air. A little air in any of the lines/ABS block/master and the brakes will feel like crap.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:27 AM
TECH Regular

So what you are saying is, get the little bottle, fill it up enough so that the tube is sumerged in brake fluid, and just pump the brakes until there is no bubbles coming out of the tube.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know with the strange drag brakes you need to bleed the inside upper and outside upper bleeders you can have air trapped in the inside half of the caliper.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:30 PM
kp
8 Second Club

So what you are saying is, get the little bottle, fill it up enough so that the tube is sumerged in brake fluid, and just pump the brakes until there is no bubbles coming out of the tube.
The little bottle connects to the bleeder screw (sticks inside the small hole actually) and it has a one way check valve. You just loosen the bleeder, stick the fitting in the bleeder and start pumping until you see no more bubbles. The little bottle will fill every 4-5 pumps so its a little easier when two people are around.

You can use a vacuum bleeder or pressure bleeder as well, but the cheap little 'one man bleeder' kit works just fine. Also as stated you have to bleed the inner and outer top bleeder screw on each caliper.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:25 PM
TECH Regular

*Update*

Bled the inside ports on all 4 calipers and man WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! That was the whole problem. I haven't got to drive the car down the road yet but, in the parking lot these bad boys freaking stop on a dime!! With very little peddle at all, no drag what so ever off the peddle, I'm very impressed so far! For those people thinking of a set Strange brakes, go ahead and bite the bullet, it is well worth it!!!

-Coleman
Old 10-28-2009, 12:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

*Update*

Bled the inside ports on all 4 calipers and man WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! That was the whole problem. I haven't got to drive the car down the road yet but, in the parking lot these bad boys freaking stop on a dime!! With very little peddle at all, no drag what so ever off the peddle, I'm very impressed so far! For those people thinking of a set Strange brakes, go ahead and bite the bullet, it is well worth it!!!

-Coleman
I'm glad you figured it out, cause I bet you were pretty frustrated after paying that much just to have them not work well at all!
Old 10-28-2009, 08:25 AM
11 Second Club

*Update*

-Coleman
How much street time does the car see?
Old 10-28-2009, 08:32 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 358chevycamaro
I'm glad you figured it out, cause I bet you were pretty frustrated after paying that much just to have them not work well at all!
Yes VERY!! Pretty excited now though.

Originally Posted by James Montigny
How much street time does the car see?

It will probably see about 100 miles a week when it's all lined out. weekend cruises, evening drives, that kind of stuff. Lots of strip time though.

-Coleman
Old 07-31-2014, 08:36 PM

Default strang brakes

I have a blown 64 Chevy panel truck just installed a new master cylinder and for the life of me cannot get any pressure at the peddle has strang 2 piston calipers
Old 08-01-2014, 06:58 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you bench bleed the master? What size master did you install?

225-343-9029
Old 08-04-2014, 01:06 PM

I'm running a 72 corvette power master but finally got them to bleed out but now I'm having an issue with unless I keep my foot on the gas pedal to allow more vacuum the truck won't stop at idle I'm only running abt 4 psi vacuum

Quick Reply: Strang Brakes On All 4 Corners and Not Stopping Well.