Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get 9's with a small shot....running consistant 10.30's N/A.....

Old 10-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default How to get 9's with a small shot....running consistant 10.30's N/A.....

He's asking around, I thought I'd ask here too.

Got a buddy that runs 10.30's on engine......what size wet or dry shot will get him solidly into the 9's. Like 9.85's.

Its a C5 Vette with a 422ci iron blocked LSx making I believe 540 RWHP with his M6. Its a very tame, very friendly daily driver so he doesn't want to do anything else to the engine.

He's wondering what size shot, what type and what brand set-up will do it.

Thanks.

Last edited by LS6427; 10-27-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depending on how well the motor likes nitrous, I see no reason a 100 wet shot couldn't get him to high 9's.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 358chevycamaro
Depending on how well the motor likes nitrous, I see no reason a 100 wet shot couldn't get him to high 9's.
Oh really....I was guessing a 50 hit would do it but I don't know anything about spray and track times.

Cool, thats not bad if just a 100 hit will do it.

His engine was built for spray but he's never sprayed it. Its 1 year old. He just had it compression checked and leakdown checked and its all good to go.

He said he can buy a TNT wet ring from a guy.

I'll tell him about the 100. I think he's like me though, he'll want more after he breaks 9's. It'll be easy, just up the jets, right?

Thanks.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt a 50 would do it. With an aftermarket fuel pump a 150 shot is safe... a lot of guys push it and go 175 no problem.

If it is built for the bottle then throw a 150 shot on it and call it a day but remember that the jetting that companies give you with the kit tend to be really safe.

With a 150 shot I am sure he could still run the plug he is now, above that I am sure he would need a plug change when he wants to spray but I don't know, I am a big shot guy haha.

I notice a lot of poeple build motors for the bottle but never spray or spray very much... never understood that.... waste of money........

Talk to someone that really knows jetting and how to read plugs..... he (your buddy) will be able to tell what the bottle limit of the car (tune/combo/fuel) is by reading the plugs... there are guys on the street with 500 shots..... just have to know what you are doing and run good race gas on the big shots... There are guys on pump gas on a 200 shot but that is pushing it...

When it comes to nitrous guys that know their stuff there is only two that I trust.. both are big names and own shops..... neither are sponsors here..... Getting a kit is not a big deal though some noids are not as great and I would not trust jets out of the box, I would get them checked...... it's the jetting/tune/plug/fuel that is the big deal. YOu can get a lot more out of the combo just getting it all checked and flowed to match..... the jet may say it is a X but in reality it is a XX... that makes things a pain in the tuning department. I know of people that have put down an extra 225 to the wheels on a 200 shot on a safe tune because they got everything checked out..... most would put down less then 200 out of the box.

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 10-27-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
I doubt a 50 would do it. With an aftermarket fuel pump a 150 shot is safe... a lot of guys push it and go 175 no problem.

If it is built for the bottle then throw a 150 shot on it and call it a day but remember that the jetting that companies give you with the kit tend to be really safe.

With a 150 shot I am sure he could still run the plug he is now, above that I am sure he would need a plug change when he wants to spray but I don't know, I am a big shot guy haha.

I notice a lot of poeple build motors for the bottle but never spray or spray very much... never understood that.... waste of money........

Talk to someone that really knows jetting and how to read plugs..... he (your buddy) will be able to tell what the bottle limit of the car (tune/combo/fuel) is by reading the plugs... there are guys on the street with 500 shots..... just have to know what you are doing and run good race gas on the big shots... There are guys on pump gas on a 200 shot but that is pushing it...

When it comes to nitrous guys that know their stuff there is only two that I trust.. both are big names and own shops..... neither are sponsors here..... Getting a kit is not a big deal though some noids are not as great and I would not trust jets out of the box, I would get them checked...... it's the jetting/tune/plug/fuel that is the big deal. YOu can get a lot more out of the combo just getting it all checked and flowed to match..... the jet may say it is a X but in reality it is a XX... that makes things a pain in the tuning department. I know of people that have put down an extra 225 to the wheels on a 200 shot on a safe tune because they got everything checked out..... most would put down less then 200 out of the box.
He mentioned definitely doing a stand alone tank with race gas to feed the wet shot.

He had the engine built for spray because he thought he wanted to spray a 150 shot to get into the low 10's. He did that N/A. So he's just been driving it around that way for a year, now he wants to go for solid 9's. He hits the track like every other weekend.

I told him to install a direct port system on it (FAST 90/90), stand alone tank with race gas and put whatever jets he wants from 100 to 300. One day he'll want 8's..........it never ends.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:41 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I went 10.5x on motor, 150 shot (single 65 jet) thru a simple Nos plate, along with a converter change put the car to 9.5x

Converter is the most likly thing that will need adjusting, possibly gear ratio if he's close to running out, other then those 2 a somple plate will get him where he wants to be, but a fogger right away would give a ton more room to grow, as the behind the TB plates are good for about 200 at most, due to distribution.

Last edited by JL ws-6; 10-28-2009 at 06:25 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I went 10.5x on motor, 150 shot (single 85 jet) thru a simple Nos plate, along with a converter change put the car to 9.5x

Converter is the most likly thing that will need adjusting, possibly gear ratio if he's close to running out, other then those 2 a somple plate will get him where he wants to be, but a fogger right away would give a ton more room to grow, as the behind the TB plates are good for about 200 at most, due to distribution.
wow, a 85 jet to get 150? that plate must be awful restrictive. a 63-65 jet should get you there. 85 should be closer to 250-275 if your parts will flow it.

but granted the converter will play the biggest issue till you run out of gear. if its set up with a loose verter to net those awsome motor et's then most likely a bigger shot will blow thru it. it may pick up just as much on a smaller shot. i agree i would start on a 100 then step up from there to see how the combo likes the juice. its not just the engine that need to be setup for the spray...

power was made with m6??? hum. more info on this combo? whats the trans/gear/tire. what lsa is the cam ground on...
Old 10-28-2009, 06:09 AM
Race your car!

Oops, I meant a single 65 jet. That's a bad typo LOL. The Nos kit came with a 63/44 jetting, which I found was too rich... went to a 43 fuel jet got better, moved to a 65 nitrous jet, got better, went to a 42 fuel jet, got better and I never bought any more to keep going with it, but I suspect the fuel probably needs to be about a 40 with the 65 nitrous jet, or maybe bump the nitrous jet to a 67 and leave the 40 fuel.

I'd like to try throwing an 85 jet in there believe me, but the Nos plate I think maxes out at 200, and I'd be a little skeptical about the distirbution at that size of a hit.

car made 480 with the timing cranked up thru a 5200 na converter and a Th400. High compression 402, car has been heavy up until now (3550 when I ran it n/a, nitrous went on and alot of the comfort ... it's going to come back out trimmed down to fighting weight.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:20 AM
TECH Resident

i didnt know if it was a typo or bad memory, but i knew it was pretty far off what it should be. lol
Old 10-28-2009, 09:01 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS6427
He's asking around, I thought I'd ask here too.

Got a buddy that runs 10.30's on engine......what size wet or dry shot will get him solidly into the 9's. Like 9.85's.

Its a C5 Vette with a 422ci iron blocked LSx making I believe 540 RWHP with his M6. Its a very tame, very friendly daily driver so he doesn't want to do anything else to the engine.

He's wondering what size shot, what type and what brand set-up will do it.

Thanks.

Like everyone stated above, it really depends on how his combination reacts to the nitrous. My setup is built for nitrous and with a 150 shot I drop 1.3 sec
and pick up 14mph on average.

I agree with everyone on starting at 100. If it produces better than the results he's looking for you could always reduce the jetting (yeah, right lol). For spraying smaller shots (up to 175 or so) I would look at the Harris plate kit. I have been really happy with it, and their jetting keeps the A/F ratio safe. I also suggest the Microedge for activation as it gives you a little more control over activation, and has a built in window switch- not to mention it keeps the underhood wiring really clean.

As for a direct port, ultimately those are the best if he wants to go that route, but seems like overkill for that small of a shot.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:22 AM
Race your car!

Problem with a fogger at this small of a shot is that there's alot of maintenance (flowing the fuel system every track trip, constant cleaning of the jets because they're so small, etc)

A regular Nos plate off the fuel rail, or a standalone would be plenty IMO.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stick with a single plate or a single fogger untill you go BIG shot..

Search this Thread