Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminum Racing Seats, Sit Lower?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 02:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Aluminum Racing Seats, Sit Lower?

I'm in the process of welding in the forward bars (and extra main hoop bars) to make my 6pt into a 10pt rollcage. I've currently got the stock seats in place and have done everything I can possibly do to get the forward bars to tuck up into the ttop. I've even added a bend where it meets the main hoop to get the bar up further. I've got the seat as far down as it will go (power seat) and my big fat head is still hitting the bar (without padding) with the helmet on. I need another inch or so of clearance to be comfortable without having to do the gangsta lean to the side.... Anyone else have this problem?

Do aftermarket aluminum racing seats have the adjustability to sit closer to the floorboard? I wanted to keep the stock seats to maintain at least a hint of street car use. But if my head/helmet hits the top bar it's not very safe or comfortable in street use.

Here's a few pics of the cage install to help explain what I'm talking about.

Here is the bend I added to meet the main hoop so that the forward bars could tuck up inside the T-Top.

Still retain use of the T-Top access because hell, this is still a street car.

Mike
Old 02-13-2010, 05:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
I'm in the process of welding in the forward bars (and extra main hoop bars) to make my 6pt into a 10pt rollcage. I've currently got the stock seats in place and have done everything I can possibly do to get the forward bars to tuck up into the ttop. I've even added a bend where it meets the main hoop to get the bar up further. I've got the seat as far down as it will go (power seat) and my big fat head is still hitting the bar (without padding) with the helmet on. I need another inch or so of clearance to be comfortable without having to do the gangsta lean to the side.... Anyone else have this problem?

Do aftermarket aluminum racing seats have the adjustability to sit closer to the floorboard? I wanted to keep the stock seats to maintain at least a hint of street car use. But if my head/helmet hits the top bar it's not very safe or comfortable in street use.

Here's a few pics of the cage install to help explain what I'm talking about.

Here is the bend I added to meet the main hoop so that the forward bars could tuck up inside the T-Top.

Still retain use of the T-Top access because hell, this is still a street car.

Mike
head room is always an issue on the f-body.where is your dash bar?.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:37 PM
9 Second Club

Most aluminum seats don't come with brackets that will work with F-body floor boards. Madman makes some just for our cars though that are adjustable.

I mounted my JAZ seat directly to the floor board at first and I ended up having to make my own brackets to raise it up a bit. I'm 6' 1" and I felt like a dwarf with them sitting all the way down.

Cage looks good BTW
Old 02-13-2010, 10:14 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was going to put mine on the floor and found out quick i couldnt see over the bottom of the steering column.
ended up welding in a tube across the body and welding tabs in.
middle is for the crotch strap.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BAKED
Most aluminum seats don't come with brackets that will work with F-body floor boards. Madman makes some just for our cars though that are adjustable.

I mounted my JAZ seat directly to the floor board at first and I ended up having to make my own brackets to raise it up a bit. I'm 6' 1" and I felt like a dwarf with them sitting all the way down.

Cage looks good BTW
Thanks, and yeah I'm 6'-1" also. Are your JAZ seats the plastic type or aluminum?

Mike
Old 02-13-2010, 11:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TJ
i was going to put mine on the floor and found out quick i couldnt see over the bottom of the steering column.
Seeing your brackets got me thinking,,,, I wonder if I could make a custom bracket for the stock seat and ditch the power motor/slider assembly? Might be able to gain an inch or so by getting rid of the factory slides and lose some weight in the process. Hmmmm, might have to look into that tomorrow.

Mike
Old 02-13-2010, 11:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tals7
head room is always an issue on the f-body.where is your dash bar?.
I was told that if the firewall hasn't been cut, then a dashbar isn't required. I cut the dash bracing, but the firewall to the engine compartment is untouched.

Mike
Old 02-14-2010, 09:06 AM
9 Second Club

Thanks, and yeah I'm 6'-1" also. Are your JAZ seats the plastic type or aluminum?

Mike
Mine is aluminum.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:15 AM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Seeing your brackets got me thinking,,,, I wonder if I could make a custom bracket for the stock seat and ditch the power motor/slider assembly? Might be able to gain an inch or so by getting rid of the factory slides and lose some weight in the process. Hmmmm, might have to look into that tomorrow.

Mike
um........ yes and no.
the issue will be trying to get a bolt in there if you mount it any lower.
you can TRY this, ive seen some guys do it in mustangs.
take the factory seat track off get some metric studs long enough to go through the floor and put nuts on the underside of the car. i would reinforce the seat with some flat metal or something. the factory seat track helps give the stock seat a bit of support.
good luck.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:22 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a kirkey 41700 prostreet seat in my car, and I mounted it on the back 2 of the 4 studs that the factory seat sits on, it put the seat nice and low and my 6'3 head doesn't hit the rollbar too bad not. It's still close, and I hit the padding, but it's not too bad. Only way I can get any more head room, is if I lean the seat back, which would require fabbing a steering column and I'm not at the point that I want to have to do that.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Give me a call. I can get you the seat and seat brackets that are adjustable to suit your needs. My number here at the shop is 225-673-3533.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm having the same problem and will be selling my custom Corbeau LG1 setup to fund a set of Kirkeys.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:23 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Kirkeys right on the floor are too low, something in between that and stock height works well... been there.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be mounting kirkey's on the floor I'm just under 6'5.

Chad
Old 02-15-2010, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Kirkeys right on the floor are too low, something in between that and stock height works well... been there.
The seat brackets we have for the Kirkey seats give you the ability to set the height of your seat with ease.

I have a couple of guys that are over 6 foot tall that don't have any problems, BUT I don't think any of them are over 6'4" either.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:06 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by TJ
that is EXACTLY how i did my camaro a few years ago. i mean so identical that i thought that pic was from my old car.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:21 PM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by Nimitz87
I'll be mounting kirkey's on the floor I'm just under 6'5.

Chad
Believe me you'll probably like them right on the floor.

John, I don't know how tall you are, but I'm a solid 6'3 and believe me, on the floor works for me just fine.

It is comical when someone else sits in the car, they generally can't see ****
Old 02-15-2010, 01:28 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

JL I had a set of Kirkeys in a car going back to about 2005...
Old 02-15-2010, 07:35 PM
Race your car!

Mine have been in since 2007, and judging by where yours are located in comparison... you're a little guy

As you can see in this picture, I'm not small... and putting the seat on the floor got my head down in the car enough, so that when we finished the 6 pt off into a 10 pt it wasn't a problem.

Last edited by JL ws-6; 08-14-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Banned

pm sent madman call me i'd like to open an account and get some brackets for a customer 214 417 2800 i had no answer today
if not there 214 881 4030

Quick Reply: Aluminum Racing Seats, Sit Lower?