Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Info on lightweight carpet, what and where to get, and how to do it.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Info on lightweight carpet, what and where to get, and how to do it.

Guys,

I'm starting to get into weight reduction. Car sees very little street and she's gotta hit 11's in 7-8k DA. I recently had a ridiculously priced wedding and need to do some cheaper mods. LOL.

Still a work in progress and lots more work to do to get there, but I decided to get started. I decided to ditch the back seats and didn't like the holes or brackets, so I cut all that crap out and am going with lightweight black carpet. I didn't want full ozite. It's just a little hardcore for me and not very durable. I really wanted something light that was going to drop in as one piece, be plush looking, a different color, and she's a bit of a show car. Here's what I found after searching on here and placing an order.

-You can get molded carpet from several places but it seems it all comes from the same place in the end, just do a google search or maybe speed inc. still sells the "lightweight" carpet. Alot of places aren't specific about what you're going to get though so you need to be careful.

-When we want "lightweight carpet" what we really want is carpet without mass backing. Mass backing is ethylene vinyl acetate 40 ml thick. It adds sound deadening and insulation qualities to the carpet. Not to mention the additional 30-40 lbs and is considered an "upgrade" so they sell it to you. It's not the juke that is heavy but the mass back which is added after the carpet is molded. Carpet without mass backing is just as durable as with.

-I've heard of guys removing carpet and peeling or sanding off all the juke padding which is the foamy grey **** underneath. Basically you're just wasting your time. You can't get mass backing off and that's where the weight is.

-You can't any longer buy a full length f-body carpet for a coupe which goes from the pedals and into the trunk without getting the mass backing attached. I think it's just a fitment risk for the carpet vendor/molders or has something to do with availability. I've looked and looked and no matter where you try and get it from it will always come with mass back and now you're probably heavier than your stock carpet. I know guys on here have placed orders for the wrong thing hoping it was going to be lighter, but just ended up getting a replacement carpet that was longer and heavier.

-I was able to order a fitted convertible carpet without mass backing that will be the industry standard in quality that was cheaper than some of the other current or past options. It will have a seamed edge at the top of the gas tank hump which I will finish with ozite and slip under the seam and into the trunk, and under the rear-most speaker panels for what should be a nice finish. I believe studderin did something very similar. It will come with juke padding in areas which I may save for some noise reduction because juke is very lightweight.

The convertible carpet without mass-backing is what you want and just about all u can get.

I'll update this with comments on the carpet, quality, fit, and show progress pics when I get it. Shouldn't be long.

I'm expecting the rear seats, brackets, belts, and carpet coming out to be upwards of a 60 lb. saving.

Last edited by joblo1978; 03-02-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:29 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

What you want is ozite, do a search for a place called your auto trim... they sell it in a 80 inch width so one piece will do the entire width of the car, and you need about 5 yards to do it.

That will weigh about 6 lbs in total, you just have to stretch it and use some spray adhesive to hold it down. Glue it good under your feet, you can thank me later.

You can also, ditch the center console if you want at this time, and carpet over the entire tunnel and make it look nice, change the shifter, etc at this point.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
What you want is ozite, do a search for a place called your auto trim... they sell it in a 80 inch width so one piece will do the entire width of the car, and you need about 5 yards to do it.

That will weigh about 6 lbs in total, you just have to stretch it and use some spray adhesive to hold it down. Glue it good under your feet, you can thank me later.

You can also, ditch the center console if you want at this time, and carpet over the entire tunnel and make it look nice, change the shifter, etc at this point.
I mentioned the ozite, will be using a little, but no way doing the whole car. That's just not my thing. Like I said, already ordered my carpet, why would I change my mind now?

Info on how to make the center area look nice without a console on an M6 car would be nice.

Already have a pro 5.0 shifter so no need to change that.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:48 PM
Race your car!

you can get a shifter boot that will attach to the floor.. then if you can, get the ozite and carpet the area over. If you lose the ebrakes (rear drag brakes) you can lose the entire lever and whatnot, and if you ditched your airbags the airbag module can go too.

I've tried the molded carpets, but I always found the fit wasn't as good as I'd like, and I can make the ozite do anything I want, after doing a 1/2 dozen cars and my own twice, it's pretty easy to get it to look right. If you were local to me here in CT, I'd do it cheap.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:56 PM
Banned

you can get a shifter boot that will attach to the floor.. then if you can, get the ozite and carpet the area over. If you lose the ebrakes (rear drag brakes) you can lose the entire lever and whatnot, and if you ditched your airbags the airbag module can go too.

I've tried the molded carpets, but I always found the fit wasn't as good as I'd like, and I can make the ozite do anything I want, after doing a 1/2 dozen cars and my own twice, it's pretty easy to get it to look right. If you were local to me here in CT, I'd do it cheap.
Yeah, I've been browsing some old threads. I've never actually seen it, but ozite just looks fuzzy to me. Like I said, I'll be using a little bit of it, so I will be trying it out.

Molded carpet without mass backing should be easier to work with.

I just want a factory looking carpet without that weight. I don't know of anyone that's bought from these guys so we'll see how they do, but I'll post my results.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've tried the molded carpets, but I always found the fit wasn't as good as I'd like,

He knows what he is talking about. I went through this a few months ago. I took a one piece, lightweight, carpet from Speed inc and chopped it into 7 pieces to get it to lay the way I wanted. The molded carpets just don't lay correctly. (For my taste anyway)

Speed Inc sells a Pedal to hatch area carpet (covers the platform behind the back seat. You still need to retain the stock T-top well/trunk carpet) and a convertable carpet without the mass backing. This is exactly what I ordered and chopped. I learned how to sew fairly well after a few days of hemming the thing back together.

~Jim~
Old 03-02-2010, 02:43 PM
Banned

I guess we'll see. I didn't get mine from speed inc. Nor did I spend anywhere near what they charge.

Piece together carpet or ozite, what's the big deal?

There just aren't many options for this carpet stuff.

Last edited by joblo1978; 03-02-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:18 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought some stuff from Lowes and it worked good
Old 03-02-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Can i get some info the lowes stuff? just curious..

Have a few local guys that have wanted this and myself as well.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:47 PM
Banned

So I got my ozite in the mail today and covered the gas tank hump like I intended. Came out pretty good for what this ozite stuff is anyway.

I took it over the front of the hump, under the speaker panels, and down into the trunk behind the liner. I didn't completely glue it down as I still wanted access to my fuel tank trap door and rear shock mounts, but it looks good and is stuck down there.

It's hardly carpet at all, more like a lightweight, thick, plush felt with most likely no sound deadening qualities at all. It has some stretch to it, is easy to cut and covers well. Maybe too well as you will see every countour to the metal, seam sealant or any brackets that you cover over. Not durable at all I could tell instantly.

I would never want to do the whole car for the pain in the *** it would be, the lack of durability, and just don't think it would really be cost effective. I don't even see how one would do it if you still have speakers and other harnesses running along the floor either.

I'll post up progress and completed pics after I get the molded convertible carpet to cover the rest.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

for the whole car it cost me $80 and i removed 41 lbs from the car, i'd say that's cost effective. took me 2 days it was pretty easy. i don't plan on putting anything in the back seats anyways and run floor mats up front so durability isn't a problem either
Old 03-04-2010, 07:31 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

To mean it sounds as if you're making too big of a deal out of the Ozite. I did my entire floor with it , and it looks just as good as the factory carpet that I took out. It passes for carpet and is super-light.

The speaker wiring & other wiring can been run under the plastic rocker trim & sail panels, or even underneath the car.

I did the entire car with ozite in a single day. It helps to have a stack of books, magazines, etc. to lay down for weight. The magazines tend to follow the contours of the floor better. I glued almost every square inch of it down, and I think it looks neat in the way it conforms to all the shapes on the floor pan. The only area that I didn't glue down was in the rear shock mounting area so that the top bolts could be accessed.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
To mean it sounds as if you're making too big of a deal out of the Ozite. I did my entire floor with it , and it looks just as good as the factory carpet that I took out. It passes for carpet and is super-light.

The speaker wiring & other wiring can been run under the plastic rocker trim & sail panels, or even underneath the car.

I did the entire car with ozite in a single day. It helps to have a stack of books, magazines, etc. to lay down for weight. The magazines tend to follow the contours of the floor better. I glued almost every square inch of it down, and I think it looks neat in the way it conforms to all the shapes on the floor pan. The only area that I didn't glue down was in the rear shock mounting area so that the top bolts could be accessed.
That's cool man, good for you. It's just not for everyone to completely cover their floorpan and wiring in glue! Know what I mean? Plus I like a more finished look.

Us military guys have a sharp eye for details!

I'll post up more results on lost weight when I get the carpet, looks good so far though.

Last edited by joblo1978; 03-04-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:40 AM
10 Second Club

What are some of the tricks for laying down this carpet and making it look good?
Bob
Old 03-07-2010, 03:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SlickVert
What are some of the tricks for laying down this carpet and making it look good?
Bob
None really, cut it to fit, trim it, let spray adhesive tack up on the carpet and body, press it down. Use something to weight the corners.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:57 PM
Race your car!

I stretch it first to match up to the floor, then spray the adhesive on the floor and carpet in small areas, and then hold them down until they're stuck.. takes a while, but it comes out good that way.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:59 AM
10 Second Club

I stretch it first to match up to the floor, then spray the adhesive on the floor and carpet in small areas, and then hold them down until they're stuck.. takes a while, but it comes out good that way.
Great, what do you use to stretch it?
Do you use any heat?
Thanks Bob
Old 03-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Race your car!

I tried heat once, that just melted the carpet I just grab it with my hands, and PULL. It stretches... granted I'm a 6'3 275 lb guy and can carry a transmission around a shop if I have to.... so I may not be the best example
Old 03-08-2010, 08:45 PM
Banned

Allright, I got my carpet in the mail today.

Total weight of the carpet was 17 lbs. uncut with some jute backing on the backside. It was glued on to the driveshaft hump and in the floorboard of the "foot areas". I just left it as it really adds little to no weight at all. I'm sure after trimming it will be a few lbs. less.

The box it came in literally weighed more than the carpet.

This stuff is really thin and light, but plush. I got it out the box and it was a little stiff, but the more I moved it and fiddled around with the fit the softer it got.

I pulled it right out the box and went to work. I laid the factory carpet over it and began cutting the middle section and trimmed the corners a bit.

This stuff fits like a glove! It's molded awesome! You just line it up in the back and fit the seat mounting bars to the carpet and that's it. I put the center console back on and am gonna let it chill out overnight, settle, and then just work from the center out. It's too easy really. I haven't even slit the holes for the seat brackets to bolt up which is really gonna make it sit flat as a pancake.

There's some lint and fibers from the molding process I guess.

It's gonna look tight with some grey and black suede corbeaus and a grant wheel.

BTW, PM me if you want to know where I got it. About 180 shipped and 1.5 weeks turnaround.

Last edited by joblo1978; 03-08-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Banned

Got it all finished up today. Looks almost factory. I'm really pleased with the money I spent and it was kinda fun. Made it very easy to clean up some other wiring issues I had from previous installs on things and detail the interior. Main thing I wanted was those holes in the stock carpet gone.

The carpet doesn't lay totally perfect, could have just been my installation, but it also has not seen any heat either. Just a few days of the black car parked out under the sun and a little heat buildup I'm sure it will flatten out more. I'm sure after cutting and removing things my interior is now slightly different than their mold.

I can't complain on fitment at all.

Total weight reduction items filled up a giant roll away trashcan at least once. I didn't weigh everything but here's what came out.

-Rear seats
-Rear seatbelts and winders
-all associated bracketry cutout
-all associated hardware tossed
-transmission insulation
-lower firewall insulation
-rear passenger insulation
-rear floormats
-heavy stock carpet for lightweight carpet with no massbacking and a little jute padding 17 lbs. uncut.

I would guesstimate in the range of 60+ lbs.

I didn't weld any holes I created but used a thick clear silicone.

I got a much lighter interior without compromising a look, still more to come too.

If you're curious about the red banner it sais "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT!" towards the windshield.

Next on the list will be some Corbeau seats and grant steering wheel for a bout another 50+ lbs. shed.

Last edited by joblo1978; 03-09-2010 at 02:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Info on lightweight carpet, what and where to get, and how to do it.