Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing my wolfe 6pt. next sat install questions?? !!UPDATE!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you mig or tig this in? Did tyou weld it up yourself?
Old 04-25-2010, 09:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chas010
Did you mig or tig this in? Did tyou weld it up yourself?
If you asking me.....it was tig welded in becuase of it being chromoly and no I didn't do it myself, my one buddy has a tig so he helped me out on it.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are asking me, Yes I put it in myself, I spent about 4 hours working the plates to fit the contours, and fitting and tacking everything in place, Then loaded the car up and took it to my buddies house and we welded it in, I used a lincoln mig, My personal welder is a lincoln mig 135 (110 unit) that was fine with me for tacking everything in, but my buddy has a (175 its a 220 unit) better welder than mine, Wanted to make sure I got good penetration.
I bought the mild steel cage, the chromoly one is about 20 lbs lighter according to wolf, and I have always heard chromoly has to be tig welded. Although My buddy who is a certified pipe and vessel welder for the aerospace industry says there is some kind of wire that can be used to mig chromoly, Think he said ERS or something like that with a few numbers behind it. Not too sure wasnt too concerned about it seein that I dont have the chromoly cage.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:46 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard the same thing about welding chromoly with a MIG, I think the main reason TIG is used is because of the high heat needed to get the metal read to melt the wire into it.

Quick Reply: Installing my wolfe 6pt. next sat install questions?? !!UPDATE!!