Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converter/MSD 8950/Tune, whats the deal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 03:21 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Converter/MSD 8950/Tune, whats the deal?

Guys I've been running this TH400 with a brake for a while now, but I've been having a problem with getting it to shift right with the electric shifter setup.

I've got a B&M Pro Ratchet Shifter with the MSD 8950 RPM Activated box (which takes MSD RPM chips) to activate the electric shifter solenoid.

Anyway I was having problems when I first got it installed so I finally called MSD and was told to cut both of the looped wires on the box because something about these cars pick it up as a "4 cylinder" mode for whatever reason. So I did that and it seemed to shift pretty good just testing it out.

Well when I go to the track the car will shift at 7,294 in first gear and then 6,464 in second gear. This is with a 6200 RPM chip in the box! Why in the hell is the car shifting so crazy? I saw there was some kind of a pickup thing they sell for out cars, but would that be the whole reason for this?

The converter is falling back from 7,294 to 5,486 in first and from 6,464 to 5308 which is way too much of an extension.

Here's a log of the run if ANYONE can help please do so!
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
Blaine 1.hpl (45.0 KB, 223 views)
Old 06-06-2010, 06:20 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the one I have currently:

http://www.msdignition.com/Products/...ed_Switch.aspx

This is the same box, but apparently it's for a distributorless setup? Maybe this would be better to use instead?

http://www.msdignition.com/Products/...itch,_DIS.aspx