Sponsored by:

Newbie Launching

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 10:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newbie Launching

Hey all,

I've never been to the track with my Trans Am...I've taken my GTP, so I know how the track works and how to read the tree, I just need some advice on how to launch my M6 properly.

Car put down 445rwhp/395tq, Monster Stage 4 Clutch, stock T56, full aftermarket suspension, KYB adjustable shocks, Prokit front springs and stock rear springs. I have some used 26x10.5x16 MT ET Streets mounted on Camaro salad shooters. Street tires mounted on ZR1s on the front.

What RPM should I be launching at?

What PSI should I start off with on the tires?

Thanks.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:43 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WS.666
Hey all,

I've never been to the track with my Trans Am...I've taken my GTP, so I know how the track works and how to read the tree, I just need some advice on how to launch my M6 properly.

Car put down 445rwhp/395tq, Monster Stage 4 Clutch, stock T56, full aftermarket suspension, KYB adjustable shocks, Prokit front springs and stock rear springs. I have some used 26x10.5x16 MT ET Streets mounted on Camaro salad shooters. Street tires mounted on ZR1s on the front.

What RPM should I be launching at?

What PSI should I start off with on the tires?

Thanks.
Before I say anything else, I do suggesting "Searching" under "M6 and/or Launch" in this section, a lot of valuable info already posted.

I could write a lot about the subject be let me keep it simple and brief.

What RPM should I be launching at? The maximum that the suspension and tire allows and keeps you within one tenth of your best 60 foot. Ideal launch will be between 5k-6.5k which is NOT recommended unless you have a bullet proof driveshift, and rear with the appriopriate suspension mods and settings.

What PSI should I start off with on the tires? As much as the tire will allow and keep you with in 1 tenth of your best 60 foot. Especially with true street tires, your not going to get out of the 60' like a hero but the harder (read: more PSI) the tire has, the more MPH you gain after the 60' which typically makes you faster.

To be completely honest, you need to get a stock spring back in there, some suspension parts, some different rear end gear ratio and at LEAST 10 way adj shocks, Double Adj is recommended. Also a drag rear sway bar.

This will allow for a better result. But then again it depends on how much you want to spend and how much you want to push the car.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

What PSI should I start off with on the tires? As much as the tire will allow and keep you with in 1 tenth of your best 60 foot. Especially with true street tires, your not going to get out of the 60' like a hero but the harder (read: more PSI) the tire has, the more MPH you gain after the 60' which typically makes you faster.

Wow, I didnt know that...... I love this site, I learn something new every time I get on. Thanks for the good info!

Sorry to haha. Good luck with learning everything OP. Again, do a search. I had the same questions that you have and the search button in here and in the suspension section helped me out A LOT!
Old 09-29-2010, 03:11 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would start with the tires about 18-20 psi.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First and foremost...what do you have for a rear end?
Old 09-29-2010, 04:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
First and foremost...what do you have for a rear end?
Moser 9", Detroit Locker, and 4.10s. BMR Drag Bar too...I've heard that helps a lot.

I think I'm just going to hit up the track and see what I can do...tweek the shocks a little and change around the tire pressure.