Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aerospace Drag Vs. Street Brake Kits

Old 01-29-2004, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerospace Drag Vs. Street Brake Kits

I am trying to upgrade my brake system for the track. Not toooo worried about weight savings but I was wondering how well the Aerospace brakes stop compared to just doing some Eradispeed rotors and Hawk pads? I have 15" Bogarts so fitting a big brake kit is impossible.

I was looking at the Aerospace Drag brakes w/ the heavy duty fronts and rears as well as the "Pros Street Brakes." Has anyone ever tried the "Pro Street Brakes?"

I will be using these in stop and go traffic at least once a week so they have to be streetable and reliable and I want to keep the ABS intact (no Strange brakes).

Any thoghts? Thanks
Old 01-29-2004, 10:20 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You won't be able to retain the ABS if you do all four corners. The rear backing plates don't have a provision for four channel ABS. You can retain the stock braking system, just not the ABS or TCS. I have the Pro Street brakes and they work fine on the street. However, you don't want to use them in stop and go traffic. They really are a race brake at the end of the day. If you are going to do more serious street driving, stick with the street brakes instead.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Will the Pro Street actually stop better at the track then just doing the Eradispeed rotors and pads?
Old 01-30-2004, 06:00 AM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I certainly get firmer stops at higher speeds, but I wouldn't go autocrossing with them. They are too small to take the continual heat. I've never run Eradispeed rotors, so I can only compare it to stock. In comparison against stock I like them at the dragstrip a lot better. And they work good on the street. They just don't like to get hot all the time. That's why you should consider the heavy duty street brake kit instead. They are designed to handle the continual stresses of street driving.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:31 AM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree. You should go with a heavy duty street brake kit.

Coach
Old 01-30-2004, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks! So go with these in the front:

http://www.aerospacecomponents.com/page5b.htm#p5b

and these in the rear:

http://www.aerospacecomponents.com/page7a.htm#p7a

Or can I go with both front and rear from the above link? I didn't see any "Heavy Duty" version of their Street Brake kit...
Old 01-30-2004, 01:19 PM
SSU Moderator

if you are not trying to save weight then I'd just stay stock or go with Eradispeeds. Bogarts clear them fine. you'd be replacing those single-layer rotors monthly if you drove around on the street, IMO.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:06 PM
TECH Regular

How much weight would you save on the front from going from stock to the "Steet" version?

Mark
Old 01-30-2004, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just ordered the Pro Street Kit under the advice of the tech person at Aerospace. I got front and rears and got them zinc coated, vented, and slotted. He said they should hold up well in traffic and last a while. We'll see...! Thanks for all your help!
Old 02-06-2004, 03:13 PM
Staging Lane

At first I went with the drag brakes, because I got a great deal from Kurtis. Since then I upgrade to the street version, since I was using the car for a daily driver.

I'm thinking about getting the rears. Let me know how the install goes.

Here's some pics: http://jody.dltechnologies.com/brakes

Thanks,

Jody J.
Old 02-06-2004, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep us up to date. Very interested in the weight reduction and how they hold up under daily driving.
Old 02-06-2004, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the aerospace street front brake kit on my car right now. I think it was a total of about twenty pounds overall off the front. The brakes stop OK but don't be suprised when you first put them on the don't stop for ****. The street version still don't clear my weld pro-stars without using a 5/16 spacer...Overall very happy with the end result, stop OK look great, and can fit my skinnies on without a huge spacer...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aerospace Drag Vs. Street Brake Kits