Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Shocks: Best Bang for the money?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 03:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Front Shocks: Best Bang for the money?

I'm looking to update the shocks on my car. The car is a street/strip car. I'm looking for shocks that will help me improve my launches. The car is a 6spd with 4.11's making about 405 rwhp. I'm not looking for the best shock in the world, but something that is adjustable and doesn't cost a bunch. From what I understand the edelbrock 3 way adjustables are pretty good? Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I just bought a set of strange 12 way adjustable shocks because I have heard so many people talk about how great they are. We will see. I got them from BMR.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got the strange SA bought them from midwest chassis best price for shock i found
Old 11-17-2010, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by armyboyatc
I just bought a set of strange 12 way adjustable shocks because I have heard so many people talk about how great they are. We will see. I got them from BMR.
Thanks for the purchase

You will like the Strange units we have had great results from them .

Let me know if you have any questions regarding setup one you get them installed.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iv got the QA1 "R" serious single adj. up front on my car. They are on a lot of fast 6 speed cars. Read up on them. Great looking shock, work great, and cheap. They are perfect. Rear shocks are were you need to spend the $$...Keeping the rear planted..
Old 11-17-2010, 05:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

been running the SA strange front but the R/drag number. I tighten them up and there fine on the street. I think they might me 12 way, not really sure? but 7-8 is fine on the street, I have stock coils on them too, no front sway, stock brakes, spindle and upper/lower arms. been lower 1.4s with the cheap $25 rear shocks, nothing alot of money.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I would agree with strange. Cool thing is I just found a brand new set of Rear DA strange shocks for a little more than SA guy just needs to sell them.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I gotta say AFCO SA for 199 per shock. They are a little more but worth every penny.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I gotta ask why is AFCOs better/ what makes them better?
Old 11-17-2010, 08:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ya I forgot afco lowered there pricing.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:34 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

AFCO is a top line shock. I have had Strange and QA1, I can not say they are bad shocks but not at the same level as AFCO. AFCO is an American made shocl, has better material quality, better machine quality, better valving, stronger, longer lasting, less leaks, more consistant shock. There are also better spring options.

Also, if you do any racing at say NMCA ot LSX or a variety of other race series, AFCO is there and has the ability to dyno, rebuild and revalve shocks at the track.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:52 AM
I write checks with my mouth that my ass can't cash

rear shocks really help that much ?
Old 11-18-2010, 09:20 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a M6 and running R series QA1's for the front, I got them used from JL-ws6 for a song so I can't complain. BUT I have seen and held his Afcos and THOSE are the shiz.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:14 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

dollar for dollar the Strange shocks are the best bang for the buck, by far. the AFCO shocks are about 50.00 each more than the Strange, but the AFCO shocks are probably the best shock on the market for the bolt-in application.

Strange has both adjusting ***** on the bottom of the shock, maybe a bit easier to get to for valving adjustments. AFCO shocks have the compression valve at the bottom, and the extension valve at the top. the single adjustable shocks are extension adjustable only... **** at the top.

AFCO front shocks eliminate the entire upper shock/spring mount and supply you with a clevis/hardware to bolt the shock to the control arm mount. they use the traditional race style coil-over, solid spherical joint to mount with and will result in a rougher ride. they are more of a race oriented shock and have a very sensitive valving arrangement for fine tuning ability.

Strange front shocks in their "bolt-in" configuration utilize the stock upper shock mount, and also can be ordered with a spring that uses the stock spring mount as well. this is a race type shock that uses the street mounting setup and will result in a much smoother ride than the more solid mounted clevis style. we can also setup the Strange shocks with the clevis and spherical bearing upper mount and use the standard coil-over type springs, just like AFCO uses. there is no part available from Strange for this setup, we here at MWC manufacture that and is what we use with our ultra light complete front end kit.

this should shed a bit more light on the subject of shocks, the difference between the two best on the market. QA1 is a descent shock, but the quality and valving map isnt near as good as Strange or AFCO, and they are known to leak. We also have better pricing on the Strange shocks anyway so its a no-brainer anyway. in the end... Strange is the best bang for the buck, AFCO is the best shock and really not that much more cost. We have the best deals on both Strange and AFCO, and usually have both brands in stock with several spring choices as well.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:12 PM
11 Second Club

I have Strange DAs up front with 300#springs and had Comp 3ways out back. The comps were terrible on a stick car. I recently bought some AFCOs for the rear with Madman specific valving and they are WORLDS BETTER. Do not waste your money on the cheap ****. I really like the Strange shocks too.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:38 PM
FormerVendor

Once You've had Afco's You'll wonder how You ever raced without them.
Carl
Old 11-22-2010, 05:46 PM
11 Second Club

I agree on the Afco's! Just had their DA's w/ 275# springs installed in the front 2 days ago. My front swaybar was already removed and it drove like crap. Got these shocks on the baseline settings and it's def. a noticable difference. I've always heard drag shocks were bouncy and not good on the street, not the case here. These things are worth the money!

Quick Reply: Front Shocks: Best Bang for the money?