Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic bearings, REM & MircoBlue Ring/Pinion Coating???

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 10:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Ceramic bearings, REM & MircoBlue Ring/Pinion Coating???

Does anyone have back to back dyno or track results for ceramic rearend bearings or superfinished Ring/Pinion gear with mircoblue coating?

Some say it isnt worth anything...Some say it is...What's your take?

Chris

http://www.microblueracing.com/custo...ustom_shop.php

http://www.pddnet.com/news-new-coati...sweeps-racing/

tooling application

http://www.ctemag.com/pdf/2003/0301-...rywhenblue.pdf

First post bottom of page

http://forum.motorcycle-usa.com/defa...6202&p=1&ord=d
Old 02-15-2011, 09:37 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I can tell you, that pro stock cars all have seramic bearings in the entire car. If they weren't worth anything they wouldn't bother.

They also don't last for **** either... and break/fail alot. That's why pro stock guys, are changing them all constantly, like after qualifying they put new ones in for race day type deal...

The REM polishing, I know people that have had stuff done, and it does help a little. That helps in a tranny more I think then the rear end, due to tooth size and whatnot, but it's not going to hurt. If you're at the point that nothing else can be done to try to go faster, then I would do that stuff.. but that's about on the bottom/last thing to do list for me.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6

They also don't last for **** either... and break/fail alot. That's why pro stock guys, are changing them all constantly, like after qualifying they put new ones in for race day type deal...
Hmm Craig (owner at microblue) said he has never had bearing break or returned to him in 10yrs...
Old 02-17-2011, 06:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Would think a lighten ring gear would be better and more of a performance gain. In for some more responses.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:13 PM
10 Second Club

lightened ring gear is already done...I have a few other ideas to make the spool more efficient spinning through the gear oil too...not sure what it will equate to hp wise...
Old 02-17-2011, 11:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

something along the lines of windage reduction perhaps?
Old 02-18-2011, 07:12 AM
TECH Addict

From experience, there is a night and day difference in a polished gear set over an un-polished one. I run Redline light weight shockproof gear oil (1 quart). The gains are small, but I will take anything that I can get.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:12 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by chrs1313
Hmm Craig (owner at microblue) said he has never had bearing break or returned to him in 10yrs...
I used to work in the ball industry, and we made the actual ceramic ***** that go in the bearings. I can tell you from seeing the actual failed bearings, that they do fail.

I'd guess it's the same deal as everything else, no engine builder ever has a motor problem it's always the tranny guy, the tranny guy always blames it on the converter guy, and the converter guy always blames it on the motor guy not making the power where you said it would.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:23 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to work in the ball industry, and we made the actual ceramic ***** that go in the bearings. I can tell you from seeing the actual failed bearings, that they do fail.

I'd guess it's the same deal as everything else, no engine builder ever has a motor problem it's always the tranny guy, the tranny guy always blames it on the converter guy, and the converter guy always blames it on the motor guy not making the power where you said it would.
Very true.

Once I have run my course with the current sig, I think this will be the next one.

It is always someone or something else.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:58 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
something along the lines of windage reduction perhaps?
yes exactly reduce windage, I understand a lighter spool is better but drilling 4-5 big hole it in then spinning it in a thick gear oil is kind of counter productive, I would be really curious to see what a heavier weight spool that is smooth throughout and looks like a top vs a lighter one that has 4-5 holes in does performance wise (so I plan to cap and seal those lightening holes)...but those 12 ring bolts need to be counter bored and recessed in...probably going to make some custom button heads that can handle the 45-50ft-lb of tightening force without stripping out (the Off the self allen's 144kpi yield didn't make it, the Allen heads stripped out)

I am going to try the bearing and superfinished and coated ring/pinion with the microblue...strange quote me 220 for the ring and pinion and another 88 for all bearings...
Old 02-18-2011, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

I don't see why you couldn't make aluminum or titanium plugs and hold them in with thin steel retainers (welded). Then again, you could always get a titanium spool.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by GIZMO
I don't see why you couldn't make aluminum or titanium plugs and hold them in with thin steel retainers (welded). Then again, you could always get a titanium spool.
No I am keeping the lightened spool, just going to cover the holes with alumin plate and countersunk screws... or possibly plugs...Ti spool ouch I bet those are super expensive...
Old 02-18-2011, 06:53 PM
10 Second Club

From experience, there is a night and day difference in a polished gear set over an un-polished one. I run Redline light weight shockproof gear oil (1 quart). The gains are small, but I will take anything that I can get.
This on a pro gear? I thought REM and synthetics were a no-go. Also you're only running 1qt of fluid which would STRONGLY argue against my thinking (no fluid actually sticking to the ring gear)

Thanks

Edit: I'm asking from a drag race ONLY perspective, obviously not for a street/strip car.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:59 PM
10 Second Club

looks like a titanium spool from moser is about 1500 bucks... and 4.9 lbs.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:42 PM
10 Second Club

looks like a titanium spool from moser is about 1500 bucks... and 4.9 lbs.
damn pretty heavy...alumin 40 spline would be alot more cost effective...my 33 spline couldn't hold the power
Old 02-18-2011, 08:16 PM
TECH Addict

This on a pro gear? I thought REM and synthetics were a no-go. Also you're only running 1qt of fluid which would STRONGLY argue against my thinking (no fluid actually sticking to the ring gear)

Thanks

Edit: I'm asking from a drag race ONLY perspective, obviously not for a street/strip car.
Is this from your experience or just what you feel?

I have been running the same gear set for two years.

Have you ever actually seen how that Redline oil works?
Old 02-18-2011, 09:26 PM
Launching!

I can tell you, that pro stock cars all have seramic bearings in the entire car. If they weren't worth anything they wouldn't bother.

The REM polishing, I know people that have had stuff done, and it does help a little. That helps in a tranny more I think then the rear end, due to tooth size and whatnot, but it's not going to hurt. If you're at the point that nothing else can be done to try to go faster, then I would do that stuff.. but that's about on the bottom/last thing to do list for me.
I'm willing to prove to you that this statement is not the truth. I will personally bring you to Allen Johnson, Greg Anderson & Warren Johnson or whoever else if you don't trust what they tell you at E-Town this year. Pro Stocks were breaking pinion bearings every other run and switched to a ceramic ball and get 15-20 runs with ease.

I tested one of the first 3 set's that were ever built for a motorcycle wheel in the late 90's and that set is still going to this day. A ceramic bearing is about 5 times more reliable and durable then a steel ball. They also are around 40%-60% lighter then a steel bearing depending on the ball size and create a lot less friction. Think about it. Steel on steel vs steel on ceramic. The ceramic is a way harder material and will not make the friction that a steel ball does on the same steel surface.

The best ceramic ball out is a Cerbec. They make a killer product that works and will last. If you are interested in getting a set try World Wide Bearings. They are the largest supplier of ceramic bearings. Talk to Dave and he will tell you what ever you would like to know. He does most Nascar, NHRA etc.... in the racing world.

Call Dave
http://www.worldwidebearings.com/
Old 02-18-2011, 10:34 PM
10 Second Club

Is this from your experience or just what you feel?

I have been running the same gear set for two years.

Have you ever actually seen how that Redline oil works?
Daren,

Re-read my post where the work "think" was used about 3 times It was a legitimate question, no? I'm assuming you're using a standard gearset... I highly doubt you'll be seeing me in Top Stock this upcoming season, I'm just trying to learn
Old 02-19-2011, 01:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn never thought about running the fluid that low,hell my old car I used to run 20w50 synthetic oil in the differential. I like how these super stock guys think,they will try anything to go fast. I bet he uses 0w20 oil in the motor and leaves it a quart low too.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:44 AM
10 Second Club

that's a good point what oil is everyone running I was thinking of giving 0w20 a try, not sure which brand, Amsoil?

Quick Reply: Ceramic bearings, REM & MircoBlue Ring/Pinion Coating???