Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

methanol/water, or methanol.....ANY help with n/a setup ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 07:29 PM
I write checks with my mouth that my ass can't cash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default methanol/water, or methanol.....ANY help with n/a setup ???

looking for absolutly every last drop of anything i can do on my stock internal build....how much would this help with an n/a max effort setup ? i belive you could probably do anything you wanted in the tune as far as timing goes....and suposedly cools air intake temps which would mean more power ?.....fill me in
Old 03-25-2011, 04:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Cools air in a boosted application. I am sure it chill it down a little. I would get it tune with race fuel and bring in the timing. probly the same results without a extra tank and pump for a water meth system. But of course this is just my opnion.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

I have used them in boost aplications. They work fine for that. I don't believe it would help much in na stock internal, unless you had the compression pumped up really high.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

better off just getting a race gas tune and add more timing
Old 03-30-2011, 12:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by 00blacka4
looking for absolutly every last drop of anything i can do on my stock internal build....how much would this help with an n/a max effort setup ? i belive you could probably do anything you wanted in the tune as far as timing goes....and suposedly cools air intake temps which would mean more power ?.....fill me in
Without upping your CR, the only way meth will help is if you use large enough quantities that you may as well just use it as a primary fuel. The extra oxygen it carries would give a bit more power. That being said, without raising compression, you still lose a LOT of the benefit, while you gain ALL of the problems.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:58 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would try the fuel section. Last I heard there is no real benefit and even in most cases with leaded race fuel. If your not running a compression high enough to take advantage then I would not bother.

Unless your tuning for a window of safety when it comes to Nitrous or FI applications.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:15 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Put race fuel in the car, and add timing until it stops gaining power. That can and will help.. meth or water with an n/a car I don't really think you will see the gains like an FI car does. And, you're going somewhere that not too many people have probably tried, so the liklyhood of getting good info, is pretty slim.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:42 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ JL and I have discussed this and I think I will clarify one thing. I think the perspective is either you have a street car or a race car and unless you can do your own tuning. There will be a decision if a leaded race fuel is consider "worth it". I absolutely agree that tune to max power until it stops gaining.

I was considering the real world cost exp.

So take a Street car and unless your the type of guy who changes everything to go racing and change it back. Like adding speed tape and removing panels and gutting the car to put it back. Then it should not be an issue then to have a 1-2 gal fuel cell just to run race gas and a custom tune for that specific fuel. Then that most certainly would be an option. At that point I would be the guy who also races at a MINIMUM -1000 D/A rental days.

I'm just talking at this point but that is how I saw the question. I would though wonder in a Carb set up would the cooling effect help enough. I have not used a set up like that for years so I would be interested in seeing results for that.