Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Hood Pins or Dzus Fasteners?
Hood pins
29.41%
Dzus Fasteners
70.59%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Hood pins or Dzus Fasteners?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im using aero's as well...I just havent installed them yet lol...Im still on the fence about dzus or pins as Im still researching if modifying racecraft camaro rails to fit my TA is really worth it or not...I dont see a problem with either setup but my thoughts are pins for convenience/ease of install and dzus for cosmetic purposes...thats just my opinion.

And HioSS...you are CRAZY lmao!and thats not a diss.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:57 PM
Q
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Broke EF
For the record the link JL posted is for the same pins we have on the TA. You can read out the install of them here.

We also added one of these in the front between the nostrils to help support it all. Because of where we positioned the front hood pins there was a lot or movement in the middle.

Sean

Thanks for posting that up Sean...any plans to paint it to match or will it be left flat black?
Old 07-03-2011, 08:49 PM
9 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Chris wants to paint it sooner or later. You can paint the aerocatch pins as far as I know. Also they make a set that flush mount from underneath, which would look real nice but more work. Also a very little amount of trimming would have been needed to make an aerocatch fit between the nostrils (no trimming needed depending on placement, and none on a flush mount) but that was also a costly option since those pins aren't cheap. The only small issue with the quick latch pin is that if you press the center to release it, it will re attach. We undo the pins, then one of us will reach over and pop the quick latch and lift the front of the hood at the same time. BUT when putting the hood on, it latches itself which is nice. Any questions anyone has about our set up, feel free to ask.

Sean
Old 07-04-2011, 02:03 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the aerocatch system on my rx7 and love them.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:23 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Broke EF
Street car = Hinged
Race car = lift off

When you are running and maintaining a race car, the added access to everything
in addition to the weight savings make the lift off a no brainer.

Sean

My thoughts exactly, working under a hood gets old FAST!!!

Old 07-04-2011, 08:11 AM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dzus fasteners, I can have my hood off in under 30 seconds.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
With out me.....not really fair comparison to post with driver weight. I'm usally around 155# so there is alot of guys 100# heavier than me.....fatties....lol.
Studderin it's not worth the incoveiniance to do a snapon hood to me. I've had cars with zeused on hoods and our RR BMW's was both ways and it's a pain in the *** for a 12#+/- savings. My hinges probally weigh the same as your zues rails...maybe less, I only use 1 prop shock, the latch and cable is very light and the peice that holds it is drilled up. Most of my extra weight is the hood @about 7-9# heavier.
I always go by raceweight (including driver) because that is what is going down the track. not just your car. i've been as low as 3275lbs raceweight

Originally Posted by studderin
You have a bolt on hood, this thread is about using a pin on hood, with Dzus rails OR hood pins anyway. Your drilled stuff is cool glad you like it, but removing all of it is gona be lighter. My hood setup is 25-30 pounds lighter then what you did.

CamaroRacing12, ya it takes a few hours mounting the racecraft rails. I never did it before either, but once you have them on its good. I havnt had to mess with them at all, taken the fenders and the front end off a few times, and dpnt have to mess with the rails the way the rcacrafts bolt on.. The front rails go thu the fiberglass braket with nuts on the back, so when you pull the nose off I just leave the fiberglass part on. Just undo the 4 10mm nuts on the core support studs. The 5 top push clips do nothings anymore a
It bolts everything together better. The fender/hood/front bumper body panels are bolted together tight with the hood on with the 12-16 dzues.

Max weight pin on hood is the way to go. The weight saving for money spent in really good when getting the car light. And you get a cool looking hood too,
dont forget therse brakets you dont need with a bolt on hood anymore, and the rear hood stut ones too.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...n/IMG_5080.jpg
i agree 100% with what your saying.

kinda unclear on the visuals of everything your saying tho when it comes to the install. right now i have my nose piece and my two front fenders off. im gutting the inner fender wells right now.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

check my build thread on early on page 4-6 I installed the rails. And Another guy did too, we put up some pics during and what tools needed. They have good directions that they come with. I think you can DL them on their site even, or ask. But I tried to get some pics during and how you lay them out, I know some guys used it and said it was a big help. Also got info on the front fender metal. I cut the rear off, I guess most don't get to, check that out.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...ch-diet-4.html

Last edited by studderin; 07-04-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:50 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 6techniques
Im using aero's as well...I just havent installed them yet lol...Im still on the fence about dzus or pins as Im still researching if modifying racecraft camaro rails to fit my TA is really worth it or not...I dont see a problem with either setup but my thoughts are pins for convenience/ease of install and dzus for cosmetic purposes...thats just my opinion.

And HioSS...you are CRAZY lmao!and thats not a diss.
I have them on mine. Here is the thread on doing this.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...ts-please.html
Old 07-04-2011, 11:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

frozen, why did your hood come off? that sucks
Old 07-05-2011, 02:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Frozen WS6
I have them on mine. Here is the thread on doing this.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...ts-please.html
thats proof of my research as I posted in that thread a couple of times lol...hell Im the last one to post in there

And yeah I was wondering about how your hood came off as well...that vid is scary...glad it wasnt worse.

Last edited by 6techniques; 07-05-2011 at 02:23 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:16 AM
9 Second Club

I was more worried about the hood landing infront of the guy in the other lane, or hitting his car, since he was a still behind me. Then my car or hood.

The old lock clip that held the front center down vibrated off on my drive out to the track. So I put a different one on and went 9.89 with no problems. Then I backed that up with the 9.75, and you see the results in the video in my sig. The additional lift of the higher speeds just pulled the clip up off of the center stud, and once that was gone it just pulled everything off, the dzus fasteners Never failed. So I redid it by drilling the hole and using a real pin (picks in the end of that thread).

I sheared that off at the hole I drilled yesterday now too with a nasty backfire, but kept the hood on this time lol. Should be getting that video my friends shot soon. So I'm drilling another hole and getting another pin like I had. So I drove the 40 miles home with the front ziptied down since I didn't have a pin anymore for the front.

Here's the thread on that run.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/single-di...aceday-9s.html

Last edited by Frozen WS6; 07-05-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
neither...leave it on the hinges.
^^^^ this. If i had it to do over again, i would have left it on the hinges. You wont have to have two people to take the hood off and its fast to get off incase of a fire.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:31 AM
9 Second Club

I put my hood on without help and prefer Not having anyone help. It's easier and things don't get scratched.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I've never been to the track and seen a hood fly off with a oe type setup.... But zeused or pinned...yea I've seen a few.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by silverbeast
You wont have to have two people to take the hood off and its fast to get off incase of a fire.
Fire supression system is your friend. I wouldn't put a pin on hood on a car without one. For the 600 bucks you will spend on the fire system... you could save how much $ that you put into your car....

I know insurance and whatnot.. but that won't cover crap in the event of a fire, especially if it's something you did that caused it, in that case, you're likly out of luck...
Old 07-05-2011, 12:19 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

My Camaro hood goes on with one person, unless it is windy as hell.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Fire supression system is your friend. I wouldn't put a pin on hood on a car without one. For the 600 bucks you will spend on the fire system... you could save how much $ that you put into your car....

I know insurance and whatnot.. but that won't cover crap in the event of a fire, especially if it's something you did that caused it, in that case, you're likly out of luck...
There goes all that weight saved!! Are'nt you the guy looking for every ounce
So far you've saved 10-15# over my setup and added 20# worth of fire suppression cause you can't get your hood off.....lol
The next guy can put his hood on and off buy himself......unless he needs help......lmao
Sorry guys .....I could'nt hepl myself

Last edited by HioSSilver; 07-05-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:18 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Every ounce yes. But I will put weight back in the car in the form of safety equipment all day long.

Until you've been in a car that catches fire you don't and can't understand that. And, when you have 75 grand tied up in a car someday you'll understand the value of a fire supression system.

It's coming down the pike, that they're going to be required anyway I'm sure once you get into a certain ET range.

And, fwiw I will still come in at 2800 lbs with a 25.5 cert, fire supression system and an iron block based engine, and with at least 50 lbs of ballast in the car.

Fwiw from the engine bay pictures that I saw you posted up.. you have done alot but I am 100% that there's still at least 30 lbs forward of the firewall that can go.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:06 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6

Fwiw from the engine bay pictures that I saw you posted up.. you have done alot but I am 100% that there's still at least 30 lbs forward of the firewall that can go.
Maybe but I don't know where from.....remember this is my dd so all creature comforts are staying. Your car is light. Here is another pic.....please feel free to point out any extra weight I can get rid of......I'll get right on that ****. I worked on road race cars for 17yrs full time.....I get the fire suppresion/safety thing in a race car.
Name:  IMAG0280.jpg
Views: 1988
Size:  61.2 KB

Last edited by HioSSilver; 07-06-2011 at 09:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Hood pins or Dzus Fasteners?