Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Humidity Effect on 1/4 mile ET's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 09:00 AM
8 Sec Tuner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Humidity Effect on 1/4 mile ET's?

How much does humidity effect you 1/4 mile ET's?

If i ran in the same tempature say 65deg. But on one run there was 0% humidity .vs 100% humidity?

We are having a argument at work and i do not know what is correct.

They are under the impression the 100% humidity you will run faster times.

IS THIS TRUE?
Old 03-04-2004, 09:13 AM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thumbs up

I don't have the brake downs at work but you will run slower with 100% humidity.

In Bracket Racing Iam always watching the temp, humidity and the Barametric pressure to know to dail up or down on my dail in before each round.

Coach

Last edited by Coach 02 A3 Z/28; 03-04-2004 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:40 AM
8 Sec Tuner

Care to elaborate on that?
Old 03-04-2004, 09:46 AM

Thumbs up

Mike,

If the humidity goes up my Hot Rod will slow down.

Coach
Old 03-04-2004, 09:53 AM
8 Sec Tuner

I know that but i have engineers here and they want proof!
Old 03-04-2004, 10:05 AM

Thumbs up

I understand about those engineer dudes.

I will have to get them proof later tonight. All my weather and racing logs are at the house. I can show the weather changes and the effect they had on my Hot Rod the last couple of wekends.

Coach
Old 03-04-2004, 10:08 AM
11 Second Club

My car will show a diff of one or two tenths slower same day same track only diff being humidity[29% vs 75%].

I have all sensors ,my friend who has a low 10.sec car and has many of the sensors shut off has practically no diff .

Our cars seem to read and adjust a lot on the way down the track which affects our times more than those that don't.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

more humidity = less oxygen

less humidity = more oxygen = more powerful combustion process = faster times

works the same way as elevation...you go up into the sky, the amount of oxygen in the air goes down and your car gets slower.

here's a calculator to determine how much humidity effects DA

http://www.stangbangerz.com/modules....h&file=density

if you mess with the calculator some you will notice humidity effects the DA a lot LESS than the temperature does.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:16 PM
8 Sec Tuner

Heres a answer i got off another site.

First off it would be very hard to be in 0% humidity. Quite possibly you dont understand the term that the forcasters use when they say humidity. When you hear it on the news they are speaking of relative humidity. Now relative humidity is just that "relative" to the tempreture outside. Now we must understand the thermodynamics of air. The atmosphere can only hold so much water, we give that value a 100% however, it differs with the tempreture. So when the tempreture is 80* outside the relative humidity is low however the water concentration is not all that low. If you are comparing 50* to 80* and one is 40% humidity and the other is 60% humidity they are not all that much different because 80* holds less water so it is closer to its maximum capacity. So if you were to keep the water concentration constant and slowly cool the air you would see an increase in relative humidity. When you get to 100% you get to a point called the "dew point" Commonly seen as fog. Air can only hold 4.9gm/m3 of h20 when the air is cooled beyond this point (freezing) you get ice. Now lets get to your question about performance...

Lets take a given volume of air, say 1L in two seperate containers (1L per container). One having a ralative humidity of 80% @ 80* and one having a relative humidity of 0% at the same temp which one would contain more air?The one with no humidity because like everything in this world water has a mass. So obviously pure air with no h20 in it would have more room for air, the jar with h20 (in vapor form) now has a reduced volume of air to work with because that volume is taken up by the h20. We all know that air=power so the jar with more air will make more power. So in anwer to your question the lower the humidity the more air concentration in the atmosphere the faster you will run. (though you will run lean and this could be worse....but lets not get into that). When you see a nice film of dew on your roof at the track, the temp has reached the "dew point" and the air is COMPLETELY saturated with h20.The point between when air is at the dew point and between freezing you will form condensation.(like on your cold glass of coke) RELATIVE HUMIDITY- is NOT an accurate measure of humidity, it is RELATIVE to the temp. changing temps doesnt necessarily mean chaning concentrations in h20 in the air. A more accurate way to see if it would effect performance is to get the actual huidity content.(we can get into things like barometric pressure and such) Now go explain to your friends and amaze them with your intellegence
Old 03-04-2004, 01:23 PM
Launching!

Try my site. (You have to register use it.)
Timeslip Correction 1
Timeslip Correction 2

Should give you the information you need.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:45 PM
Wheels up Director

Think of it this way. Humidity is water vapor right? Now is water flamable?

LAter
Old 03-04-2004, 11:16 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Humidity doesnt have as much effect on ET as temp and density altitude but it plays an effect on density altitude.Usually the higher the humidity the higher the DA is.

So in a sense it can hurt u but if I had to say what hurts u the most its temp,then DA and lastly humidity.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:41 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike TexaSS
I know that but i have engineers here and they want proof!
You have to explain this to engineers????
Old 03-05-2004, 08:20 AM
TECH Resident

With the exception of his spelling of "intelligence", Mike TexaSS hit the nail on the head.

In short, water vapor displaces oxygen in the air (vice mixing with it). As such, humid air is less dense (and has less power making potential), and dry air is more dense (and has more power making potential).

A better indicator of how much moisture is in the air is to look at the Dew Point Temperature. Lower is good, higher is bad.
Old 03-06-2004, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

another way of looking at it is this, the water should evaporate in the intake and cool the charge allowing for cooler air. those arent my words but i have heard that on more than one occasion. it does make sence to me but i dont know how much the extra cooling offsets the displacement of oxygen. i think that may be the reason humidity doesnt effect you'r E.T. as much as other things because it partially negates itself
Old 03-06-2004, 01:43 PM
TECH Junkie

not sure if has been said beacouse i dontwanna rerad all the above posts but to some degree the air is more dense therfore more drag will result also more moisture wil result in more wheelspin and finally damp air has more water thus less oxygen then dryer air thus less combustusion will result
Old 03-06-2004, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

Jpr5690....humid air is actually less dense than dry air.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:48 PM
TECH Regular

above me has it exactly....

humid air is less dense than dryer air. This means that in a certain amount of mass, there is more air if you will in the dryer air over the humid..... it makes sense in my head, I hope it makes sense here

coker
Old 03-06-2004, 06:25 PM
master of the "jack"stand

This is why you can hit a baseball much further when you have a 100 degree temp and a 75 dewpoint versus a 100 degree temp and a 30 dewpoint. It is easier for the ball to travel through the humid air because it is much less dense, even though it feels very muggy outside.
Old 03-06-2004, 07:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Side note, humid air tends to ward off detonation slightly too. kinda like weak *** alcohol water injection!

Quick Reply: Humidity Effect on 1/4 mile ET's?