Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When is a drag bar necessary vs a regular sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default When is a drag bar necessary vs a regular sway bar

as stated above. im in the process of going though all my suspension pieces. i have removed the front sway bar and from what i have read here i need to upgrade the rear sway bar. but im unsure as to weather go for the drag race rear sway bar. or just upgrade the rear sway bar for a larger one. i have read some stories that a drag race rear sway bar may be too much. as far as my goals r concerned right now im looking for 1.6 60'. im at a 1.7 60' throttleing into it. now that i got all new aerospace brakes and prostars with new drag radials. i hoping for shorter 60' times but again am unsure of when to use each.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:46 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

We have many guys driving around on the street with our BMR anti-roll bar so that wouldn't be an issue but with 1.6-1.7 60ft times you could probably get away with using a stiffer aftermarket street sway bar something like our SB003. How does the car currently launch?

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 09-16-2011, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
We have many guys driving around on the street with our BMR anti-roll bar so that wouldn't be an issue but with 1.6-1.7 60ft times you could probably get away with using a stiffer aftermarket street sway bar something like our SB003. How does the car currently launch?
car launches straight but i had to throttle into it cause my tires were very old and dry rotted. but like i said i just got a new set of tires and brakes and i havent ran the car with the new pieces yet. (always raining) its just that now that i removed the front sway bar i remember reading that i need to upgrade the rear sway bar. im just unsure as to which one i should upgrade to.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:10 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bottlefed01z28
car launches straight but i had to throttle into it cause my tires were very old and dry rotted. but like i said i just got a new set of tires and brakes and i havent ran the car with the new pieces yet. (always raining) its just that now that i removed the front sway bar i remember reading that i need to upgrade the rear sway bar. im just unsure as to which one i should upgrade to.
If you think you are going to push the car harder and go faster then I would look into a good anti-roll bar like our BMR one but if you are going to stay with the setup you have and continue to run 1.6-1.7 60 ft times you will be fine just going with a after market street sway bar. It really just depends on what you want to do in the future with the car as to what direction you want to go with the rear sway bar.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 09-16-2011, 10:21 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your sized motor has more then the potential to require a drag bar. If you can get someone to shoot video and the biggest thing is seeing how the car leaves. A soon as you start popping wheels and they are un even you need a drag bar. A heavier then stock is a good improvement but IMO if drag racing is a big factor is to get a good bar on the car.

My 2 cents.

Quick Reply: When is a drag bar necessary vs a regular sway bar