Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 6 Speed Car needs some suspension help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 07:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My 6 Speed Car needs some suspension help!!

I've been fighting with the car to dial in a good 60' foot and it's just not happening. I took a new motor setup to the track and was able to get a decent video of what the car does at launch and while going down the track.

From what I can see from the slow motion video is the rear tire is being pushed up into the wheel well right after the initial almost looks like it bounces off the ground.

Car has full UMI Suspension, QA1 Single ADJ front & rear shocks set at 2 front 6 rear and stock springs with pinion angle at -2. Tires are 28'' MT ET drags with 15 psi Cold leaving the line off the two step @ 5k shifting at 6500.

slow motion video, That pass was only 1.69 60' which is better then usual but not where It should be. turn down vol nothing to hear but mouse clicks lol

http://www.youtube.com/user/Smokedou.../1/4r5OLzuKSlk

Full video

http://www.youtube.com/user/Smokedou.../0/863t-DeTd98

I would love to get a good complete pass out of the setup before the car goes away for the winter.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

are you using tubes in those tires?
Old 09-26-2011, 07:48 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bet your rear end is slamming on the body. Get some Silver Lipstick and clean off the rear end axle tubes and paste it on there. IF the car has bump stops or not, I am willing to wager you need to stiffen up those shocks in the rear.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

You didn't say if you had lower control arm relocation brackets. If not I would recommend a set to help with eliminating the squat. Also are you running the regular ET Drag or is that the stiff sidewall design? The stiff sidewall is better for a stick shift car to help combat the bounce.

You can try bringing up the air pressure in the tires 1-1.5lbs and tightening up the rear shocks a couple clicks to stop the bouncing. Ideally you would want to see a small amount of tire spin at the initial hit followed by a solid hook. Wheel speed is your friend.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:49 PM
FormerVendor

David

I would tighten up the rears some and check the rear bump stop clearance. The slow video does appear that the suspension bottoms out. I recall seeing you had poly bump stops on the car and you might need to trim them. I have mine removed, lowered and no issues.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:18 PM
11 Second Club

also move the front end up a 1/4 inchon both sides. level ride height on a m6 helps a ton
Old 09-26-2011, 05:50 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 98blueSScamaro
also move the front end up a 1/4 inchon both sides. level ride height on a m6 helps a ton
yes..I have found the same with having ride height close to level as possible.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by djfury05
are you using tubes in those tires?
Nope, didn't want to risk it without screwing the tires to the rim

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
I bet your rear end is slamming on the body. Get some Silver Lipstick and clean off the rear end axle tubes and paste it on there. IF the car has bump stops or not, I am willing to wager you need to stiffen up those shocks in the rear.
Car still has bump stops which after being mentioned alot might have to go or be trimmed down alot!

Originally Posted by 5.3LJimmy
You didn't say if you had lower control arm relocation brackets. If not I would recommend a set to help with eliminating the squat. Also are you running the regular ET Drag or is that the stiff sidewall design? The stiff sidewall is better for a stick shift car to help combat the bounce.

You can try bringing up the air pressure in the tires 1-1.5lbs and tightening up the rear shocks a couple clicks to stop the bouncing. Ideally you would want to see a small amount of tire spin at the initial hit followed by a solid hook. Wheel speed is your friend.
Yes the car has UMI Rear LCA's which IMO need a few more lower holes but I can only work with whats out there. The Tires are Stiff Sidewall due to the weight of the car 3740 at last weigh in. Hopefully this weekend I can play with all of that in a day and get some good E.T's

Originally Posted by Larry @ AMS
David

I would tighten up the rears some and check the rear bump stop clearance. The slow video does appear that the suspension bottoms out. I recall seeing you had poly bump stops on the car and you might need to trim them. I have mine removed, lowered and no issues.
Yes I do and they will be removed as soon as I get the chance. Also plan to order Double adjust Front and rear shocks as well as new springs.

I will give this a shot. I believe right now the front is 1'' lower then the rear with the 26's on.... can only imagine what it is with the 28's on.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:01 AM
11 Second Club

UPDATE:

Went to the track last night with some local f-body guys for more testing. Made 1 pass 1.9 60'....... Rob (98blueSScamaro) recommend some settings to try and offered to take the car down the track to see what it was doing. After two passes down the track he was able to cut a 1.48 60' leaving off the two step @ 6k. The car has never 60' that well before! the only changes that were made were the settings of the shocks, I was not able to adjust the ride height like recommended due to not having the proper spanner wrench. Later on in the night I was able to back up those times with two 1.56's and My last pass a personal best of 1.521. BIG Thanks to Rob, Larry, Chris (chrs1313) & LSxPwrDz for working with me on the car and answering all the questions, Pm's, Emails, text's & for taking the time yesterday to help me get it down the track like it should. The car was actually consistent going down the track for the first time ever! Hopefully in a few weeks when I hit up Byron It will do the same hopefully with better air. Not to bad for a 3850lb camaro!

Rob's pass (My bad bro I didn't get the good run on tape)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Smokedou.../1/TAAZgnS9gPY

My pass (1.565 60' leaving @ 6300)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Smokedou.../0/mUkuYvXl1Ys

Last edited by SmokedOutZ28; 10-15-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:42 AM
11 Second Club

Congrats........ Thank for letting me behind the wheel. Just always make small changes. I am sure once we have a real track a.k.a prepped and set on kill. Not a ice ring like RSD ( and you were still hooking) Then it will only get better. Glad to see you run the times Full weight as well.

Rob
Old 10-15-2011, 10:44 AM
11 Second Club

oh and did you get any vids of my car?
Old 10-15-2011, 10:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW what an improvement! I hope to have some knowledgeable people like that around when I am at the track with all new suspension settings etc.. that's awesome man congrats!
Old 10-15-2011, 04:58 PM
11 Second Club

oh and did you get any vids of my car?
I don't have any but I heard Phil was taking video of runs last night.

Last edited by SmokedOutZ28; 10-15-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

What adjustments did you make, to drop the 60' that much?

It looks like your on the right track. What did the car end up running?
Old 10-16-2011, 09:24 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by flyinZ
What adjustments did you make, to drop the 60' that much?

It looks like your on the right track. What did the car end up running?
Just adjusted the settings on the QA1's the fronts went to 4 and the rear went to 7. Also dropped the slick psi to 14 before burnout, played with the 2-step rpm and bumped the shift points to 7k. Still going to try and level out the car but I'm going to do it by removing the rear spring isolator rather then raising the front.

I'm posting from my phone I will check the slip with I get home.

Quick Reply: My 6 Speed Car needs some suspension help!!