Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for a cage... ?'s regarding

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 01:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for a cage... ?'s regarding

I've been back and forth with what to do about a cage in my car... Finally decided to do "something." I'm not really looking to do an all out 10 point as the car will not be living at a track, but I'm ok with a simple bolt in 6 or 8 point with the swing outs... Does anyone know if there is such a thing as an 8 point bolt in? Or do people usually transform a 6 point into the 8?

Would I be better off having someone custom fab one? I've been dreading having to do this, but oh well... Any help would be awesome. Thanks
Old 08-29-2012, 01:48 PM
10 Second Club

I'd go with a wolfe 8 point cage, I think your past the 6 point range at the track.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your better off having someone fabricate it if you are going to have it welded in. If you buy a pre bent kit chances are the only bars that will be bent are the main hoop and that will most likely have to be bent again so it fits right. The rest of the bars will be straight and extra long so they will have to be cut to size and notched.
If you want a bolt in just go with the Wolf.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:56 AM
TECH Regular

Bolt in is not legal per NHRA rules though.

And Dinwiddie is the strictest track I have ever been to! Sorry to hear if you have to run there.

Al
Old 09-06-2012, 05:19 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need a full cage unless you are running quicker than 10.00 or faster than 135 mph. If you think you will be past those points, an 8-point cage minimum is needed.

On the decision of buy a kit versus having one custom built, I'd advise looking at others on this site (do a search for cage pictures; there are a few threads) and see if you like them. I had the one in my Nova custom done to get past some of the things I didn't like on some box kits (hitting the arm rest, not going through the package tray where I wanted, etc.). Cost a little more but worth it in my eyes aeeing how mine is also a street / strip car.

On swingouts, I highly recommend them. Makes life a lot easier on the street for getting in and out.

Derek
Old 09-07-2012, 07:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Sounds like some research into the differences between rollbars and cages is appropiate......

Quick Reply: Time for a cage... ?'s regarding