Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crossing traps @ about 6200 rpm, can I go with a smaller tire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 01:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Crossing traps @ about 6200 rpm, can I go with a smaller tire?

I happened to pay attention this weekend to what rpm I was crossing the traps at, and it was about 6200 rpm. I have 3.73's in my 12-bolt and Hoosier QTP's 27x10.5x15 slicks out back, and was wondering if I could down it to a 26" slick or if I would run out of gear? I set my shift light for 6500 and that is where she produces the best times. I'm thinkin i'd run out of gear, am I correct? I still can't understand though how i'm goin through the traps at that high of an rpm with 3.73's and a 27" tire!!! Does a loose converter really make that much difference? Cuz the gear/mph calculators say I should be at 134 at 6200 rpm in third gear (turbo 400), I knew the converter would drop it a few mph, but could it really drop it 20 mph? Just curious, cuz i'm trapping 114-115 range, thanks guys!!!
Old 03-18-2004, 06:36 AM
Restricted User

I ran a 26" ET Drag and 3.73's and was trapping at 122mph and had no issues with coming close to the limiter. You should be fine with 26's. I switched to 27" tires because I went with 4.11 gears.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your mph doesnt look too bad for your time.....Ive ran 11.6s @ 113 before. However your RPM Is high, it should be closer to 5400 with that mph and gear....something is not right. You should be able to go to a 26 but if your trapping at 6200 I would stick with 27s...Test out some 26s from a buddys car and see if you make it.

Andy
Old 03-18-2004, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would go for more gear over a shorter tire. What is the brake stall on your converter?

Daren
Old 03-18-2004, 06:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by andy98Z
Your mph doesnt look too bad for your time.....Ive ran 11.6s @ 113 before. However your RPM Is high, it should be closer to 5400 with that mph and gear....something is not right. You should be able to go to a 26 but if your trapping at 6200 I would stick with 27s...Test out some 26s from a buddys car and see if you make it.

Andy
Yeah, I was thinkin I should be around 5400 - 5500 also, I can't understand it! The only thing I can think of is the converter is causin it, it's pretty big and pretty loose!
Old 03-18-2004, 06:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by GIZMO
I would go for more gear over a shorter tire. What is the brake stall on your converter?

Daren
I can't go for more gear till I have another vehicle to drive around daily and to tow it to the track with, cuz I have a Turbo 400 in the car (no overdrive), so I still need some cruisability, and right now I can cruise around 70 @ 3300 - 3400 rpm, so it's liveable.

I don't really know anything about the converter, I bought the transmission and converter off of a buddy and I got screwed on the deal! It was supposed to be a 1 year old Yank Turbo 400 w/ a Yank SS4000. He had setup with a buddy of his for me to bring my car to get the tranny installed for a good price, but the weekend it was supposed to go in I was gonna be in Connecticut, so he offered to bring it in for me, so I left the car with him. Well, he ended up driving the car when he wasn't supposed to be and was beatin up on her, and lost control, spun out and hit a tree! He called me up the night before I was supposed to come back to FL and told me and said he was gonna fix everything and not to worry. Then it ended up taking a month before the tranny was in, b/c he was missing parts that were supposed to be there. Then it took another month before he got the body work done, and by that time I said dude, I need the car back (it's my only car)! So he said he'd give it back to me how it is and we'd set something up for when to bring it in to get painted, so I got it back with the body work done and in primer. Well, it's now been over 6 months in total since all this happened and the car still isn't painted! He lost his job, but that was like 3 months or so ago, so I don't know what's goin on. As soon as I have the money, i'm gonna get it painted, but i'm in training with a new job right now and just don't have the money! As for the transmission, when I got my car back, I checked out the tranny and it looked like it was freakin 10 years old, it has a leak, it's definately not a yank, and the converter is definately not a yank, and I don't know what converter it is or any of it's specs, all I know is the converter works pretty good, looks brand new, and is pretty loose and has a pretty high stall and is a 9". So moral of the story is, i'm too trusting and the one ******* time I let someone drive my car I paid for it, and it never happened before that, and will never happen again, my mistake!!!! Oh yeah, and the supposed good deal on the tranny install was bullshit, cuz I got totally ripped after it was already there at the shop and I couldn't do anything about it! Sucks, huh? Plus now the tranny is startin to get sluggish, I knew it was only a matter of time, I only have maybe 10 passes on it too!!! And also, the transbrake solenoid is shot, so I need a new one before I could use it, and it was supposed to have a deep pan and doesn't, i'm just totally fed up with what happened, I don't even know what to think anymore!!! If I wasn't a sane person, I would've killed him, this car is my pride and joy and like family in my eyes!!! I'm sure you guys understand what i'm talkin about bein car lovers urselves!!!

Last edited by Loudmouth LS1; 03-18-2004 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Loudmouth LS1
I can't go for more gear till I have another vehicle to drive around daily and to tow it to the track with, cuz I have a Turbo 400 in the car (no overdrive), so I still need some cruisability, and right now I can cruise around 70 @ 3300 - 3400 rpm, so it's liveable.

I don't really know anything about the converter, I bought the transmission and converter off of a buddy and I got screwed on the deal! It was supposed to be a 1 year old Yank Turbo 400 w/ a Yank SS4000. He had setup with a buddy of his for me to bring my car to get the tranny installed for a good price, but the weekend it was supposed to go in I was gonna be in Connecticut, so he offered to bring it in for me, so I left the car with him. Well, he ended up driving the car when he wasn't supposed to be and was beatin up on her, and lost control, spun out and hit a tree! He called me up the night before I was supposed to come back to FL and told me and said he was gonna fix everything and not to worry. Then it ended up taking a month before the tranny was in, b/c he was missing parts that were supposed to be there. Then it took another month before he got the body work done, and by that time I said dude, I need the car back (it's my only car)! So he said he'd give it back to me how it is and we'd set something up for when to bring it in to get painted, so I got it back with the body work done and in primer. Well, it's now been over 6 months in total since all this happened and the car still isn't painted! He lost his job, but that was like 3 months or so ago, so I don't know what's goin on. As soon as I have the money, i'm gonna get it painted, but i'm in training with a new job right now and just don't have the money! As for the transmission, when I got my car back, I checked out the tranny and it looked like it was freakin 10 years old, it has a leak, it's definately not a yank, and the converter is definately not a yank, and I don't know what converter it is or any of it's specs, all I know is the converter works pretty good, looks brand new, and is pretty loose and has a pretty high stall and is a 9". So moral of the story is, i'm too trusting and the one ******* time I let someone drive my car I paid for it, and it never happened before that, and will never happen again, my mistake!!!! Oh yeah, and the supposed good deal on the tranny install was bullshit, cuz I got totally ripped after it was already there at the shop and I couldn't do anything about it! Sucks, huh? Plus now the tranny is startin to get sluggish, I knew it was only a matter of time, I only have maybe 10 passes on it too!!! And also, the transbrake solenoid is shot, so I need a new one before I could use it, and it was supposed to have a deep pan and doesn't, i'm just totally fed up with what happened, I don't even know what to think anymore!!! If I wasn't a sane person, I would've killed him, this car is my pride and joy and like family in my eyes!!! I'm sure you guys understand what i'm talkin about bein car lovers urselves!!!

That trans is probably the problem then...That has to be one of the worst deals I have ever seen. You need or needed to do something big about that....
Old 03-18-2004, 06:52 PM
TECH Junkie

That has to be one of the worst deals I have ever seen. You need or needed to do something big about that....
Nothin I could do, I've been nice, hopin everything would work out and that if I was nice about it, he'd do the right thing, and if I took him to court, I don't really have any proof, and they can't take money he doesn't have, right? And I wasn't goin to do anything stupid and violent and get thrown in jail, it's not worth it!!!!
Old 03-18-2004, 06:54 PM
TECH Junkie

That trans is probably the problem then...
Could the trans bein a little sluggish really cause that? Cuz when I say sluggish, I mean it's not shifting right when I tell it too, like if I have my light set at 6500, I shift it right on the light or even if I anticipate it and hit it right before the light comes on, the car doesn't shift till like 6700 - 6800. Plus the trans doesn't hit as hard as it should on the shifts, and I don't know, just doesn't feel like it has enough line pressure either, cuz most other cars with turbo 400's i've ever been in, jerk when you put them in gear, mine sometimes doesn't even have any feel too it and you can't tell if it went in or is still in neutral!
Old 03-18-2004, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

200-300 rpm isnt bad at all I think all 4L60Es even built take 400. But maybe something else is going on, I dont know much about trans, but something seems screwed up.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:02 PM
TECH Junkie

200-300 rpm isnt bad at all I think all 4L60Es even built take 400. But maybe something else is going on, I dont know much about trans, but something seems screwed up.
Well, i'm pretty positive this tranny if working properly should shift right when I tell it too, it's got a manual valvebody and has almost all the same stuff a buddy of mine's has and his shifts instantly and hits hard!!! That's why I think mine's pretty tired and needs to be refreshed! But yeah, I don't know much about it either, but it definately seems like something is wrong!!
Old 03-18-2004, 07:16 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,229 Likes on 784 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I've heard that non lockup setups might see 100 rpms of slippage for every 1000 rpms.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I've heard that non lockup setups might see 100 rpms of slippage for every 1000 rpms.
Really? Does urs do it?
Old 03-18-2004, 07:25 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

LS1Tech 10 Year

Have not made runs yet.

I'm for sure going to see some slippage with the T400, that's fact. But if it's more than 700 I might consider running a different or tighter converter.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im just assuming your using an aftermarket tach w/ your shift light too right?
Old 03-18-2004, 11:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by foff667
im just assuming your using an aftermarket tach w/ your shift light too right?
Yes, definately, I wouldn't quote anything off of the stock POS tach!
Old 03-18-2004, 11:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Have not made runs yet.

I'm for sure going to see some slippage with the T400, that's fact. But if it's more than 700 I might consider running a different or tighter converter.
So u think it could take up to 700 rpm before it shifts?! Damn, that's crazy, i've never seen that before! Any car i've ever been in with a TH400 always shifts right on the money when you hit the shifter!
Old 03-19-2004, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does. I've got a JW TH400 with a 4000+ stall TCI converter in the car right now, when I shift it snaps your head back. My 400 shifts instantly and crisp, always has.

Devon you definately need to get that tranny rebuilt. Also I ran your info through my tire/gear 1/4 mile calculator.. I show that if your trapping @ 6200 rpm with 27" tires and you went to 26" tires your new trapping rpm would be 6500-6600 rpm.

I know you drive the car everyday, but I would rather see you go with 4.10's and 28" tires. Don't worry about the tires for the time being get a roll bar so you can go back to the track and get your *** un banned hehe..

Your missing out on ALOT of good racing bro!
Lee
Old 03-19-2004, 10:16 AM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TH400 setup I had last year didn't slip on the shifts, thing would shift BAM! instantly when I hit the ratchet shifter. I had a yank 4500 converter that had anti ballooning plates in it for spray usage so that may have been why. The converter was just too tight on motor, it was not a very loose converter.

I could only footbrake it to like 2300 rpm with 4.10's and 28" et drags.

i concur sounds like you have a couple possible problems..that trans might be toast which could be the problem or you might have some stupid huge and loose 'verter in there that is too loose.

i say don't mess with the tire size right now because once you get the drivetrain issues situated you might find that you made a mistake going to a smaller tire and then have to fix that again as well.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:47 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

LS1Tech 10 Year

Mine is not slipping on shifts, I was referring to rpms in 3rd on the track broh.