Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheelstand oilpan baffling

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheelstand oilpan baffling

So my car has a tendency to stand up on the rear wheels when launching (currently doing low 1.3x 60') and it caught up to me this week when I found a munched main bearing due to oil starvation.

I was looking at http://http://www.improvedracing.com...ffle-p-30.html as a fix to my problem, but the only actual reviews i found are for road racers. Any of you faster guys using this? (doing Wheelstands and or running the 60' in my range) I don't really have the budget for a dry sump setup and this car is driven often around town and for trips so an accusump is not really something I want to deal with... Will this baffle setup be enough for me? Thanks in advance for the info!
Old 05-03-2012, 12:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

quick search

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...ag-racing.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...fbodies-2.html
Old 05-03-2012, 12:46 AM
On The Tree

I'm quite aware of how the search function works. The first topic was posted by the seller of the product, and nobody that actually drag races with a fast car gave insight to it. The 2nd topic has a bunch of people saying they might use e product, but none have given a review. So my question still is not answered by your quick search. thanks for the effort though.

I'm interested in members that actually have cars running with this product (at the level I am talking about) to answer this, not people that assumed I didn't do a simple search that don't have any actual new info for me.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:04 AM
s30
10 Second Club

You are a wealth of information. A beacon of knowledge, I'd like to subscribe to your news letter.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:28 AM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Maybe fix the wheel stand issue by limiting how high the front goes ?
Old 05-03-2012, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Doug G
Maybe fix the wheel stand issue by limiting how high the front goes ?
Not really an option. I'm not running wheelie bars on my street car. And anyways I will be doing 1.2x 60s soon so if it starves on wheelies, it will starve on launches. Also I'm not gonna risk my motor by hoping the car doesn't wheelie everytime I try to launch hard.

The car isn't getting the front end up from a hard transbrake hit anyways, it powers the front end up. Not really possible to limit that.

So from the lack of responses, I'm guessing nobody is using these setups?
Old 05-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

My brother just put one of those baffles in his car that cuts low 1.30 60 foots, and it looks like it should control the oil pretty well, but it hasnt been run yet.

here is a thread where a lot of people are talking about them
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...re-launch.html
Old 05-03-2012, 01:21 PM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mistafosta
So my car has a tendency to stand up on the rear wheels when launching (currently doing low 1.3x 60') and it caught up to me this week when I found a munched main bearing due to oil starvation.

I was looking at http://http://www.improvedracing.com...ffle-p-30.html as a fix to my problem, but the only actual reviews i found are for road racers. Any of you faster guys using this? (doing Wheelstands and or running the 60' in my range) I don't really have the budget for a dry sump setup and this car is driven often around town and for trips so an accusump is not really something I want to deal with... Will this baffle setup be enough for me? Thanks in advance for the info!
I 60 ft in the 1.3x range and have been known to do a wheel stand or two. If I am not shifting into 2nd gear looking at the sky, I am not very happy camper.

I have never used the products above. I have asked Erik & Madman about it and they both said I didn't need it.

We have only had 1 time in 10 years that we had a main bearing problem. I run the stock oil pan but I do run 6 qts of oil in her.

Coach
Old 05-03-2012, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Coach 02 A3 Z/28
I 60 ft in the 1.3x range and have been known to do wheel stands or two. If I am not shifting into 2nd gear looking at the sky, I am not very happy camper.

I have never used the products above. I have asked Erik & Madman about it and they both said I didn't need it.

We have only had 1 time in 10 years that we had a main bearing problem. I run the stock oil pan but I do run 6 qts of oil in her.

Coach
I have heard running extra oil helps. I always ran normal oil level so that might be my issue. No foaming issues from the extra oil in the system?
Old 05-03-2012, 01:27 PM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Been doing this for 10 years with an average of 300 passes a year with no foaming issue.

Coach
Old 05-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You can if you are worried about it plumb an accusump into the car as well, which will help if the pickup does somehow get uncovered... I'd do that before anything else, as that's for sure, going to keep the motor oiled if the pickup does lose pressure.

Couple people on here have set them up without a dry sump as well, the info on how to plumb it is available, I'd link it but I can't do that from my Iphone.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

98Z28Cobrakiller put one on his car, it cuts low 1.3x 60's, maybe send him a PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
You can if you are worried about it plumb an accusump into the car as well, which will help if the pickup does somehow get uncovered... I'd do that before anything else, as that's for sure, going to keep the motor oiled if the pickup does lose pressure.

Couple people on here have set them up without a dry sump as well, the info on how to plumb it is available, I'd link it but I can't do that from my Iphone.
Looked into those, I will be doing one as well as whatever I decide to do with the pan setup
Old 05-03-2012, 09:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

studdering is using the improved racing baffle in his car as well. I just opted to get a moroso oil pan and call it good. Yea it was some money but its a nice piece and a new oil pan is a lot cheaper than a new motor IMO.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by transam69230
studdering is using the improved racing baffle in his car as well. I just opted to get a moroso oil pan and call it good. Yea it was some money but its a nice piece and a new oil pan is a lot cheaper than a new motor IMO.
you got any pictures on how you relocated your filter?
Old 05-04-2012, 04:33 PM
9 Second Club

only pic i have of my relocated filter.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Crappy cell pics is all I got. The angles are kinda bad too but you get the point. Its mounted where the cruise control used to be.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by transam69230
Crappy cell pics is all I got. The angles are kinda bad too but you get the point. Its mounted where the cruise control used to be.

How many feet of hose did you use?
Old 05-08-2012, 02:25 PM
12 Second Club

How about relocating the pick to the rear of the sump, rather than basically the middle where it is now?
If the issue with a hard launch, is oil sloshing to the rear, and up the back of the pan/block, then putting the pickup where the oil is being transferred to, would only make sense to me.

I'm fixing To cut apart a basically useless truck pan, and rework it for my car, with kickouts, internal baffling, and all that jazz. I'm only pulling 1.5 60's for now, but that's subject to change.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If you locate the pickup to the back and don't kill the engine (no more engine rotation at all) at the end of a run the oil will slosh forward, and you may lose the pickup's coverage at that point.

Accusump, put one on and just call it a day... no more dry startup's, and no concern's of losing oil pressure anywhere in the run, at the hit, or on the brakes at the top end.

Quick Reply: Wheelstand oilpan baffling