Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have pics of the brace needed for race seats?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 04:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone have pics of the brace needed for race seats?

I have the Corbeau Forza (sp?) race seat with the slots for the 5 point harness. I know I need to put a tab in the lower horizontal bar of my roll cage (the one right behind the front seats) for the shoulder straps. But I also found out that I need to attach some kind of brace from that same bar to the back of the seat! It seems like the seat I have is not set up for such a brace, yet I know it is a drag racing seat so what gives?

Anyone have some interior pictures they can post here that would show that?
Old 06-07-2004, 04:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PewterZ28
I have the Corbeau Forza (sp?) race seat with the slots for the 5 point harness. I know I need to put a tab in the lower horizontal bar of my roll cage (the one right behind the front seats) for the shoulder straps. But I also found out that I need to attach some kind of brace from that same bar to the back of the seat! It seems like the seat I have is not set up for such a brace, yet I know it is a drag racing seat so what gives?

Anyone have some interior pictures they can post here that would show that?
Here are a couple off of the Jegs site:
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...94&prmenbr=361
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...85&prmenbr=361

Maybe you can use them, or they may give you an idea what is needed. Hope it helps.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:04 PM
10 Second Club

Damn that was a quick reply, thanks.

Unfortunately I can't see how that will work with the Forza. I'm getting kind of hot headed over this so called "race seat." The freaking seat was the cheapest one Thunder sells but it was still over $200 and it now appears it is not set up for the back brace. The metal is so thin in back I'm sure that type of brace would tear the seat in two if ever I had a rear collision.

Perhaps I should have looked into different seats and found some that were ready and solid enough for the back brace and anything else needed.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:48 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Most tracks wont say anything about the back brace. Its a sound reason they require it but the way some of them are done its pretty dangerous. The main reason they want it done is so when the car leaves the seat doesnt flop back and your hands cant reach the wheel or feet cant reach the pedals.

A full aluminum seat ot plastic seat works a lot better with a back brace, the tubular steel seats usually dont have anything there to hold it with and most people make a large plate off the brace to spread the load a little. You wouldnt have any pics of that forza in your car would you - curious what they lok like in there..
Old 06-08-2004, 08:59 AM
10 Second Club

No pics, I don't have a digital camera either. If I can get a hold of one, I'll email you the picture.

The seat looks good but I'm pretty frustrated that these things don't come ready for the back brace. Also, the seat is too upright, hurts my back a lot. Matter of fact, either the seat or getting in and out of my car (sliding over the side bar) threw my back out last Wednesday and it still hasn’t healed. I can’t even fully stand up straight, I swear I’m a 26 yr old Old Man.

I agree that a larger plate to distribute the force is necessary. But I'd have to tear the cloth.

What is everyone else using around here? Which seat and how did you get the back brace on?
Old 06-08-2004, 11:43 AM
kp
8 Second Club

If you are going to bail on the seat let me know, I want to try one out and see if I like it..
Old 06-08-2004, 12:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
If you are going to bail on the seat let me know, I want to try one out and see if I like it..
I probably will try to sell it unless I hear back from Thunder Racing that they have a bracket that works with the seat. No one answers emails these days though so slim chance of that happening. I'll let you know soon.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:52 PM
9 Second Club

How far is the roll bar away from the back of the seat? Mine actually is resting against the bar and is just mounted to the floor,It is very sturdy. I am using a Tenzo seat and ran into the same question/problem about the rear brace. Everyone I talked to said I would be fine at the track. Usually the tech guy at the track just gives them a good yank to see if they are solid. I think you will be fine as long as they are mounted to floor real good.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Calm down and click this link.
http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant...tegory_Code=IH

This is what I use on my Sparco's.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:56 PM
10 Second Club

Doc, the Gateway tech guy already warned me about the back brace and the tab. My seat is about 6 inches from the horizontal bar behind my back, probably due to the incline, or lack thereof, of the seat. If I get a seat that has more of a decline it would probably be closer.

AZLS1, thanks for the link. I ran across that page yesterday. I don’t know if that would work well because the tab needs to be in the same spot the c clamp would be. Where did you put your tab?

I’m actually more concerned with how the brace will connect to the seat. If the seat does not have good reinforcement in your shoulder and neck area, there really isn’t a safe place to weld or bolt the brace to. I’m concerned with safety as much as I am fitment. I'm looking for a seat that is pretty meaty in the back area, preferably one that comes back brace ready.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:31 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Pics attached. My seat is too far forward for 6-6'1 driver so the bracket is going to be redone.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone have pics of the brace needed for race seats?-5_04m.jpg   Anyone have pics of the brace needed for race seats?-5_04n.jpg  
Old 06-08-2004, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn John .. thats a lot of Junk in the back of the car !!!!!!
Old 06-08-2004, 04:58 PM
10 Second Club

John thanks for the pictures. I can’t tell but it looks like your harnesses are all individual straps. I have the RCI 5 point; the two shoulder straps are attached by a latch that needs to be bolted to the bar behind the seat via a tab welded to the bar. If I used that style brace, it would need to go in the same spot as the tab.

More importantly, I can’t imagine my Corbeau Forza not getting a hole punched into it in a rear collision, thus getting the back of my neck impaled by the brace. It just seems like there needs to be a bigger plate back there, to spread out the force on impact so the back brace doesn’t punch through the back of the seat. It’s much easier to punch a small hole in the back of the seat than it is to punch a 4 to 8 inch wide square. I can’t see what the Corbeau Forza looks like underneath the cloth but it feels very flimsy.

In all the searching I’ve done I’ve found plenty of seats that come with slots for the shoulder straps. The Forza even has slots for the lap straps too. But I haven’t found a single seat that comes “back brace ready.” I guess the racing seat manufacturers assumed we would just drill holes and bolt right through the cloth? Or did NHRA just recently come up with this rule? The joys of drag racing, never a bump in the road, always smooth sailing.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:53 PM
9 Second Club

I think the difference is that most racing seats don't have fabric covering the back (even with the cover on) so you could use a square or bracket that spreads out the contact area. Most covers only cover the front with snaps around the sides - the back is open.

Is there any way you could cut a square in the cover and sew the edges so it won't tear and then you would have an opening for a plate of some sort.

Sounds like maybe they were trying to make a cross between a factory and race seat and didn't think it all through.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:13 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
I think the difference is that most racing seats don't have fabric covering the back (even with the cover on) so you could use a square or bracket that spreads out the contact area. Most covers only cover the front with snaps around the sides - the back is open.

Is there any way you could cut a square in the cover and sew the edges so it won't tear and then you would have an opening for a plate of some sort.

Sounds like maybe they were trying to make a cross between a factory and race seat and didn't think it all through.
You and I are on the same page. I don't think there is any way of getting around the cloth without tearing it. I'm sure the seat has it's purpose, perhaps in other race organizations, but I'm going to look for some different seats with an open back like you mentioned. Once I find what I'm looking for, I'll post back to this thread for any future members who come across this thread using the search function.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

To bring up an OLD thread, but doesn't anybody else have a pic of their Kirkey seat rear brace? That is bolted/clamped to the rollbar..
Old 05-27-2012, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I made a alum T that bolts to the kirkeys, and quick pin to tabs on the seat bar, pics in my build thread making it.

here it installed beofre paint
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...0519121523.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...0519121519.jpg
Old 05-27-2012, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

Did you have to weld something on the rollcage bar? How did you secure your harness to the bar?
Old 05-27-2012, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

tabs weld on, seats come out in 30secs with 1 pull pin, and the 4 stock nuts on the floor.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...h-diet-34.html

Not as easy (welding it at 1st) as the clamp on bar slide mounts, but way faster everother time after to work on the car. And look out for the weight on some of these things, I posted the weights of the seat cover, and the race craft seat brackets. You could make some fixed alum ones, welded right to the seat, after you find were you like the seat with the race crafts. Just another thing I want to do at some point. But that adds up to another 3-5 pounds per seat. And some of thous cheap clamp om post things are heavy. A stock cloth manual camaro seat if about 33pounds, so after you get all these on your 12pound bare kirkey you can really eat up any weight savings. I know some friends that though there kirkey was too "race car" so went with a corbue (sp?) fixed back, the reclinable ones are still really heavy, But bought there Fbody seat brackets, and there made out of like 1/4 x 2wide steel and weight like 10 pounds, Then got that I-post clamp thing. And I fells like there **** weights more then the stock seat did

Quick Reply: Anyone have pics of the brace needed for race seats?