Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having trouble launching!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 08:43 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Having trouble launching!

Went to the track for the first time this season after the addition of LT, Ypipe, custom tunnel-mounted adjustable torque arm, and shift light. On the Nittos, I'm struggling to get under a 2.15 60' time. Actually, in three previous trips to the track, I hadn't even spun them! Only on my two last runs is when I finally lost traction after dumping the clutch at a little over 3000 rpm, netting me my best of 13.26 @ 107. This is good because now I am learning the limits and can go from here.

What do you guys recommend I do differently to launch better? I ran 20 psi in the Nittos with a small burnout and -2 degrees pinion angle. It seems like burning out in first gear doesn't get them hot enough, as my friends say I don't get much smoke. Should I burn out in second? For some reason, I'm a little hesitant to try it even though I have a line lock. Then how should I launch it? Dump the cluch or ride it out a little and at what RPM?

Thanks for the help, as your advice and a little practice will surely get me in the 12's!

Chris
Old 04-08-2004, 09:28 AM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do your burnout in 2nd gear. Dump the clutch at 4,000 rpms. Bang the gears and practice and practice.

Coach
Old 04-08-2004, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to get those nittos hot, do a burnout until you see white smoke . You may want to try lower tire pressure, I run mine at 16 hot. You could also try relocation brackets.