Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daily drivers with a roll cage, please come in.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 11:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Daily drivers with a roll cage, please come in.

I am finally facing the fact that I'm going to need a cage to continue racing. I just ran 12.05 at 5000' elevation, and am moving to sea level next month, so I'm expecting low 11's. How bad is it having a cage in a daily driver? I do an easy 15k a year so am I going to get sick of it real quick? I figure I'd do removable door pieces to help a little. Also, any recomendations on which brand to get? Wolf is the only one I've seen so far, are there any others? Thanks
Old 04-20-2004, 11:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im in the same boat as you, Im going to get the Wolf with removable door peices. Ive seen it before and if you leave out the whole bottom link while on the street I think its much like stock except for the two back links.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:06 AM
TECH Junkie

I have a custom built cage that fits a lot better than a wolfe and looks better too. I also have a removable driver side swing out that makes daily driving pretty easy.

In addition, I have a removable crossbar in the back, but had it custom built so that 5" tabs protrude from each side of the hoop so when the crossbar is on with padding, it appears like it's welded. I've never been questioned on it once. It allows me to put my little one in the back or even a smaller adult.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

hey verbs got any pics?
Old 04-21-2004, 12:13 AM
9 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

With the removable sidebars, there is no real differnce as a daily driver. You'll just want to becareful not to scrap yourself when wear shorts on the floor mount for the side bars.

My kids can still climb back in between the bars to ride in the back seat. The cross bar offer some safety concerns but they can be managed.

I've added some heavier rear side padding to the cross bars and main loop to offer them more protection. I've built in some additonal saftey support ounts for my son's car seat to further limit travel. I'm looking at mount a 5 point harness for my daughter now that she's a bit taller this year.

Rick
Old 04-21-2004, 12:15 AM
I can shift faster than you.

I have the 6-pt chromemoly Wolfe with removeable sidebars in my daily driver. I drive around with them removed and you would never know there is a cage in the car, other than the slight reduction in visability out of the rear-view mirrow.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

please dont put children in the backseats in a caged car.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:11 AM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

It's not the cage that is annoying if you have swingouts. The harness is annoying to me even with a camlock. I'm call CPS about this guy putting kids in the back of a caged f-body.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:16 AM
TECH Resident

Real quick....big difference between a "cage" and a "rollbar". A cage is required at 9.99 on hardtop cars, and includes bars that run along the top of the roofline forward of the main hoop, down towards the dash. At a minimun a cage has 8 pts, and often 10-12. A rollbar typically has 6 pts, and does not have the upper bars running forward.

I have an 8 pt rollbar (2 extra small bars running from the main hoop towards the rear), and have *removable* swingouts on both sides. Love em - makes it very easy to get in and out.

I would like to add to those concerned about kids in the rear of a car with a bar (or cage). Please don't do that. If you get in a wreck, those steel bars could be very, very deadly to someone back there - even if padded.

Good luck to you.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4mulaJoe
It's not the cage that is annoying if you have swingouts. The harness is annoying to me even with a camlock.
That would be annoying...

I run the stock belt and the harness for that reason. Just swing the stock belt out of the way when I'm using the harness.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:19 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

I daily-drove my Formula for about 3 years with the rollbar in it. Make sure you get one with a removable set of door bars, and it is no problem. I also liked having the rollbar in the car because I could use it as my excuse not to have to haul my buddies around. So, I'd take my own car or make them drive theirs lol. Its not a taxi!

Someone else mentioned it, but the inside rearview mirror becomes almost worthless once you have a rollbar installed, it blocks over half of the mirror even when the bar is all the way up and touching the headliner. You could always relocate the mirror down a couple inches perhaps if it bothers you.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I daily-drove my Formula for about 3 years with the rollbar in it. Make sure you get one with a removable set of door bars, and it is no problem. I also liked having the rollbar in the car because I could use it as my excuse not to have to haul my buddies around. So, I'd take my own car or make them drive theirs lol. Its not a taxi!

Someone else mentioned it, but the inside rearview mirror becomes almost worthless once you have a rollbar installed, it blocks over half of the mirror even when the bar is all the way up and touching the headliner. You could always relocate the mirror down a couple inches perhaps if it bothers you.

my rear view mirror isnt affected at all...........I have an 8point without swinging doors and its to NHRA specs so its shoulder height, once you drive around with it, you learn to get used to it. I forget mines even there.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

770boy any pics.....

I want to do an 8 pt w/swingouts and something that doesn't effect where the rear speakers are.....
Old 04-22-2004, 11:48 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the input guys!!
Verbs - What don't you like about the fit of the Wolf?
Is Wolf the only one who makes one ready to go? Who here has a Wolf cage and how many people have custom ones done? Thanks again.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:22 AM
11 Second Club

Here's my rollbar its a Wolfe 6 point bolt in i painted it red.
its really not that hard to get in and out everyday.

Old 04-23-2004, 01:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

That doesn't seem too bad, I was looking at the 10pt wolfe roll cage, $600 bucks, not sure if that includes the swingouts or not
Old 04-23-2004, 01:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Flamin Raven
hey verbs got any pics?
Not handy no, I'll see if I can get some though.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BOOSTAT4500
Thanks for the input guys!!
Verbs - What don't you like about the fit of the Wolf?
My bars are much more snug along the side/roof of the car allowing for easier entry to the rear as well as much more room for passengers if need be. When you open my car door you can't even see the sides of the hoop unlike the picture of the red caged card down below.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:57 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BIGBOS
That doesn't seem too bad, I was looking at the 10pt wolfe roll cage, $600 bucks, not sure if that includes the swingouts or not
no swing outs and its actually $999. after you add in the notching and the shiping.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:46 AM
9 Second Club

I had a custom built chromoly 6 pt put in here in MD - it is great! I had the guy put in removable bars with the good connections - I believe from Chris Alston Chassisworks. All I have on the floor is a small nub in the carpet that the bottom of the sidebar bolts to - and the small tab at the top. It takes about 2 minutes to put the bars in. Other than the loss of the back seat, there is no difference over stock. I also kept my stock seat belt for normal driving. The harness just lays in behind the seat or comes out pretty easily if I want to remove it.

Chromoly 6pt rollbar about $1,100, padding about $30, the looks you get driving a car with a cage on the street regularly - priceless!!

Quick Reply: Daily drivers with a roll cage, please come in.