Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the powersteering cooler be removed and if so, what are the weight savings?

Old 06-07-2004, 04:12 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can the powersteering cooler be removed and if so, what are the weight savings?

I didnt know if you could remove this, but if so and someone has done this, what are the weight savings? Is the cooler really necessary? Whats its purpose anyway...I mean I know its to keep it cool, but why werent they put on the V6 models or the Z28/Trans Am? I want to keep powersteering for now, I was just wanting to remove the cooler because I dont think its needed. What do you think? Thanks.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The power steering cooler is nothing more than a VERY short run through the radiator pipe. I know what you are thinking though. I thought it was an actually radiator type cooler similar to a trans or oil cooler, but its not. It is actually an integral piece of the radiator pipe.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:31 PM
9 Second Club NA

I was thinking of removing it and just putting the rubber hose that would of went there on a Z28 model. I saw my friend's the other day (Trans Am-no powersteering cooler) and I was thinking of just going to the parts store and asking for the replacement hose that goes there. But what would I do with the other 2 lines at the bottom of the cooler that go to the rack and pinion? So is this possible?
Old 06-07-2004, 04:54 PM
9 Second Club

It seems possible to me - like you said, the models other than WS6 & SS don't have it and the hose should fit. I would be curious if your friends car has some plugs in the rack. I would bet they all use the same racks, and the models without the cooler have the lines plugged. Maybe I will try to check out someones car soon. Maybe someone else on here knows. Wonder how much that cooler weighs?
Old 06-07-2004, 05:35 PM
12 Second Club

I assume you can run your own lines directly to the rack from the power steering pump. There would be no weight savings removing the cooler and in fact I don't think it is removable. It is built into the main radiator pipe as one piece. Its hard for me to describe it unfortunately. I wish someone had a picture of what it looks like.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:41 PM
TECH Resident

Default cooler

Originally Posted by BlackBeaSSt
I didnt know if you could remove this, but if so and someone has done this, what are the weight savings? Is the cooler really necessary? Whats its purpose anyway...I mean I know its to keep it cool, but why werent they put on the V6 models or the Z28/Trans Am? I want to keep powersteering for now, I was just wanting to remove the cooler because I dont think its needed. What do you think? Thanks.
it comes right out they ,make a 1 piece hose for it,just hook the lines together done,
Old 06-07-2004, 08:04 PM
9 Second Club NA

Thats what I was trying to get at...removing the cooler and putting the hose that comes on the non SS/WS-6 models, but what am I going to do about the 2 lines on the bottom of the cooler?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can the powersteering cooler be removed and if so, what are the weight savings?