Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000+ street/strip 98 ss project car

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 375 Likes on 214 Posts

Story of my life. I am the king of ruining things. Took a friend for a ride since he has never been in anything quick before.
At around 7,500 rpm in first and the car spit and sputtered. All of the gauges went black. Went on and off 3 times real quick in a row. And was intermittently losing power on my way home.
Drove it back home miss firing real bad. Wasnt sure what happened. Since I probably have 1,500 or so miles on the car and it has been running A1.
Shut it off, wouldnt start back up. Just clicked. Checked the battery and I must have over tightened the negative terminal. It was broke in half. so just resting on the negative post arching. Just my luck. Right when I was about to ad the cooler and turn it up.
So I ordered 4 new pistons for that side. Taking the block to the machine shop friday to have it checked and surfaced just in case. Since the ******* mls torched to it.
Ordered a new bare head. Really thinking about switching back to cathedrals at this point so I dont have to cut my hood.

Not sure how quick I can have this done and fixed but I am on it. So Frustrating.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang dude that sucks!!! Fortunately you can do most of your own work. Im sure you'll be back soon. Good luck
Old 09-10-2017, 04:43 PM
TECH Resident

Btw check out this link. Might help you with your intake problem

http://shearerfabrications.com/sf06-05001.html/
Old 09-10-2017, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sillysspeed
Btw check out this link. Might help you with your intake problem

http://shearerfabrications.com/sf06-05001.html/
Those are awesome!! I think at the end of the day I am going to switch back to cathedral ports and a pro flo xt. They have been real fast. Clearance is awesome too!
Old 09-11-2017, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those same guys make that air to water intercoolers built into the Holley hi rise. Basically sandwiched between the lid and the lower..

You can also put space your K member easily instead of cutting your windshield. I just learned this actually, just bought the high rise myself and was doing some research and a guy on here posted up about it. Apparently it doesn't effect the chassis at all, still handles the same etc. Gonna be tackling it as soon as I'm able.. figure even if it helps trim HALF then it's worth not replacing the windshield every ~1500 miles

Sorry to hear about your car man! Thing is a beast.. scrolling through the thread lit the fire under my *** to finally make the purchase and stop being a lazy bitch. lol havent driven my car since 8/13/16. But seeing how ***** deep you are in your car you won't have any problems getting back on the road soon!! I wish I had the drive and energy to do what you accomplish. Fkn awesome!!

Keep it up. You'll be back on the road soon, I'm sure of it!!

Anyone want to make bets on under 2wks??

Last edited by Bitchin'Camaro; 09-19-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dang that sux man, sounds like you've already got a handle on it tho. Hang in there.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Back in business. Deciding on which heads to buy and Ill be ready in no time.

Ended up purchasing a new Dart bare head and moving all of the valve train over. Going to post those up for sale soon to recoup some of my money from this **** up lol

Old 09-21-2017, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Making moves!

Old 09-22-2017, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

Well you have the weekend to finish it up to meet my 2wk bet mark lol

Glad to see you're getting things ready!
Awesome to see your level of dedication to the project. Most people would probably have given up after such a situation..! (Or at very least sat on it for a long time) hopefully you saved some of the beer in those kegs to get you through the rebuild
Old 09-23-2017, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bitchin'Camaro
Well you have the weekend to finish it up to meet my 2wk bet mark lol

Glad to see you're getting things ready!
Awesome to see your level of dedication to the project. Most people would probably have given up after such a situation..! (Or at very least sat on it for a long time) hopefully you saved some of the beer in those kegs to get you through the rebuild
haha I actually was going to get it done this weekend too! Unfortunately the heads will not be here until thursday. I ended up ordering a set of tfs-245's.

Still waiting on Dart to send me the pro 1's back. Long story but I sent the bare one in also. Along with the one I have used this far. I wish I would have just sold them needing repair because I already have a ton into them to be back to new standards. Their intake valves are pretty weak as well as their valve springs. They have me replacing all 8 intake valves and about 5 valve springs. Milling them .002 for a clean up. Ill more then likely lose my *** after already losing my *** due to ruining the one. Sucks. But whatever. Life goes on.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Can't beat out of the box 245's on boost. Very interested in seeing the difference they make.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im really happy I didnt end up cutting my hood. Ill be very happy to have that back on the car. Looked cool with it off but f that lol. Nice light windshield can make up a little for getting the hood back on too

Old 09-24-2017, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tug686spd
Can't beat out of the box 245's on boost. Very interested in seeing the difference they make.
I had a feeling I should have bought them in the first place. Just ended up going against my gut feeling and using the darts. They seemed like a great head and Im sure they are on an N/A 427+ci
Old 09-26-2017, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Round 2!!

Old 09-27-2017, 03:40 PM
9 Second Club

I've been silently lurking and following along this entire thread... finally time for me to say...damn man I am envious as hell... Keep it up, you've given me great ways to waste time at work... this is one killer build. Those new heads look so damn pretty.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by allblackedout5
I've been silently lurking and following along this entire thread... finally time for me to say...damn man I am envious as hell... Keep it up, you've given me great ways to waste time at work... this is one killer build. Those new heads look so damn pretty.
Thanks man. I appreciate the kind words! I figure If I keep pushing itll keep peoples interest up. The car industry and scene has shifted a lot in the past 15 years. Especially for me.

I am running out of time up here in michigan for track time. Id really like to see some back to back comparisons of those heads and intake setup just because. Im just not sure its worth wasting a track day or losing a week over. We will see. Im really anxious just to get the cooler on and turned up to atleast 25 pounds before I go back to the track.

Tom Sewell from FID cleaned and tested the injectors for me over the week. New tophats so making sure the entire fuel system is clean as a whistle.

Old 09-27-2017, 05:55 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackSS4thgen
Thanks man. I appreciate the kind words! I figure If I keep pushing itll keep peoples interest up. The car industry and scene has shifted a lot in the past 15 years. Especially for me.
I completely agree... I've gone from lifted trucks, to motorcycles, to a big block tubbed 89 foxbody, to a couple vettes (c5z+c6), back to motorcycles, and now on to by f body build.... I only wish I knew I'd start to go nuts on it less than two years in and I'd have done some things different from the start... but hey what can ya do.... going to keep on track with what it is for now and once I see some catastrophic failure in either motor or trans a longer term build with 9's as a goal will take place... for now, my high 10 sec street car is plenty fun! I wish I took pics and made a build thread because now, I've got nothing but some words to show for it! I may go through the archives and find some old pics and make a thread...why not.

I digress... either way, over the last 12 years in the "car scene" for me has changed dramatically... trends to power levels and especially the cost of this hobby, its never been cheap but damn lately things are crazy. Regardless you have one hell of a sick build going and I commend you on it. Ill continue to follow...good luck on the rest of your endeavors.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I actually really want a car like yours!! That thing is moving for an lq4 and 3,7xx lbs.
My next car will be a nice 6.0-6.2 SOM car. No real crazy power goals just something nice and fun to drive.

Reason being I beat the living **** out of my car and as much as I enjoy driving it, I beleive Ill save a lot of money in the long run by not daily driving it. It enables me having it on the street. I find myself breaking this thing 100% of the time taking people for a ride. Its cool and it makes me feel good to share the fun but man is it getting costly.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:09 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackSS4thgen
I actually really want a car like yours!! That thing is moving for an lq4 and 3,7xx lbs.
My next car will be a nice 6.0-6.2 SOM car. No real crazy power goals just something nice and fun to drive.

Reason being I beat the living **** out of my car and as much as I enjoy driving it, I beleive Ill save a lot of money in the long run by not daily driving it. It enables me having it on the street. I find myself breaking this thing 100% of the time taking people for a ride. Its cool and it makes me feel good to share the fun but man is it getting costly.
Thanks man!

I completely get it though... I agree once I get to the point of having the time and money invested into my car now that puts it in the category of "is it really worth driving this thing around anymore" I'll pull the plates and dedicate it to the track also... easy enough to pick something up cheap later on that's still fun to bomb around town in..and keep the real race car in the garage.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just waiting on pushrods and in she goes! Excited for these changes since these are the heads I should have started with.

Quick Reply: 1000+ street/strip 98 ss project car