Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo s10 smokes tires out of ideas

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 10:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Turbo s10 smokes tires out of ideas

My 5.3 bored to ls1 size on3 88mm turbo th400 8.8 3.27 geared s10 has diy caltracs on it 2" blocks and v6 springs up front comp 3 way shocks front and back set 50/50 90/10 like most but I don't know why when I go to the track to try and tweak it a little it smokes the tires literally till about 80 ft from the finish line I leave easy no good I've left off the brake around 3-3500 no good hell if the truck does grab for a split second it just tries to throw me into the wall motor only made 550 but it had a bent crank so I swapped out cranks and got it to the track I leave on no boost up to 6 psi I've never cranked it up over 8psi with 275 pro radials m/t I've adjusted everything nothing helped ideas are welcome experience with any of this would be great
Old 01-09-2016, 10:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

I would say that's a heck of a single sentence but there's not even a period at the end of so its not even a single sentence!
Old 01-09-2016, 11:11 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ddnspider
I would say that's a heck of a single sentence but there's not even a period at the end of so its not even a single sentence!
Grammer never was my strong point. Welding doesn't require much talking or writing and no typing. If typing improves my trucks ability to hook or weight transfer I'll be the first to sign up for the class.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Haha. If you've messed with the suspension and can't get it to hook it sounds like either you need to soften the tune or go to a bigger tire.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Haha. If you've messed with the suspension and can't get it to hook it sounds like either you need to soften the tune or go to a bigger tire.
If the tune was any softer I believe it would be stock lol but honestly the tune is for a stock 5.3 turbo tick stage 2 turbo cam and 91 octane on 8psi and until I get bigger injectors rpm motorsports that did the tune has it set pretty fat. I said hey just set it so it don't blow up while I'm playing with it waiting on meth injection kit and injector money. I have messed with the suspension I just think someone out there may have had this problem. I've read hundreds of posts about ppl not hooking in s10 trucks and hundreds about ppl dead hooking and making great passes so I just wanted input on someone that can reccomend what worked for the. Not the parts they used necessarily but how the tuned it to make the suspension parts work together. How to make sure my traction bars and shocks are working together with my front springs or if these springs need to be changed to a better proven one my last truck was a 383 nitrous truck same setup hooked decent but different gears and made little less power. Maybe I'm launching wrong or something this is my very first turbo motor so launching with boost surely has a little bit of advice worth mentioning in itself. I read read read have been for months that's how I built the truck off of posts from Here hadn't had to ask many questions either it was all covered basically. I just need a little advice on personal experience
Old 01-09-2016, 01:49 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being a truck which is naturally lighter in the rear, have you tried adjusting the weight around? Your frt. to back weight bias could be off. I moved 60lbs from the front of my car to the back it went from knocking the tires off to standing on the bumper. Better shocks could also help, If when the truck "does hook and it heads for the wall", something may be out of square, I would double check the suspension and chassis make sure it's all square and nothing broken.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much pressure do you run in the tires?
Old 01-09-2016, 07:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RobsZ28
Being a truck which is naturally lighter in the rear, have you tried adjusting the weight around? Your frt. to back weight bias could be off. I moved 60lbs from the front of my car to the back it went from knocking the tires off to standing on the bumper. Better shocks could also help, If when the truck "does hook and it heads for the wall", something may be out of square, I would double check the suspension and chassis make sure it's all square and nothing broken.
I haven't moved much weight the battery is behind my passenger seat because I put my fuse box there but stock fuel tank and stock location I really would like some better adjustable shocks and maybe a better front spring for weight transfer I'll check out the chassis see what's causing the issue. Its a stock 8.8 with the tubes welded up can the stock unit inside be grabbing harder to one side being a factory limited slip
Old 01-09-2016, 07:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by baronsmith98
How much pressure do you run in the tires?
I started with 14psi and came down in 1 psi incriments till I stopped at 10.5 psi and haven't went any lower I have tried the pro 275 drag radials and the mt st street. With the actual tread not the single grove haven't tried a slick because I don't have any and I would like to drive on street eventually some of the tracks do a cruise before the races start and u must make it to be able to enter
Old 01-10-2016, 02:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Does it feel like it hooking then suddenly unloading or just plain never hooking? Do you happen to have a video of a pass? I'm sure you know this but it's all about weight transfer. Can you post a picture of your homemade cal tracs as they are setup on the truck, Have you tried different preloads? Unhooking front sway bar if you have one? Another thing that may help is to get the truck on some race scales, If you have anything in the suspension bound up or bent it will show up on the scales.

I normally wouldn't point anyone to another forum but a user with the screen name Black X on the S10 Forum has really got his truck hooked up.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:27 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Does it feel like it hooking then suddenly unloading or just plain never hooking? Do you happen to have a video of a pass? I'm sure you know this but it's all about weight transfer. Can you post a picture of your homemade cal tracs as they are setup on the truck, Have you tried different preloads? Unhooking front sway bar if you have one? Another thing that may help is to get the truck on some race scales, If you have anything in the suspension bound up or bent it will show up on the scales.

I normally wouldn't point anyone to another forum but a user with the screen name Black X on the S10 Forum has really got his truck hooked up.
. Thanks for the reply it never hooks until I get around half track I basically come almost back to a stop feel it hook and mash on it again with a 2.1 60.ft I ran a 7.40 98mph
I'll get the pics loaded up for u and hopefully a video I do have a front sway bar the traction bars I started at 1/2 turn for preload and went as far as 2 and a half turns in 1/2 turn incriments I don't know why I didn't think of it before but the truck I got my front springs off of was lowered in the rear and up front I don't remember seeing drop spindles either if the springs have been heated that would probably totally screw up everything I'm trying to do don't you think ??
Old 01-10-2016, 12:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A 2 door blazer gas tank between the rear frame rails would help weight distribution a lot. Is 90/10 the rebound setting on the front shocks?
Old 01-10-2016, 12:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Basically you want the truck to shift the weight from the front to the rear at the right time and the right amount. To slow and you blow the tires off to fast and to much and you'll get a nice wheel stand. Unhooking the front sway bar will let the front rise a little more = More weight transfer. Removing it will also drop 20-30lbs or so off the nose.
The reason I asked for the video is to see what the front is doing on launch.
I think you really should talk to someone with an S-10. Here is a link to the YouTube videos from the guy over on the S10 forum. https://www.youtube.com/user/Black02Xtreme/videos Here are his specs- 408"LS, 88MM Turbo, 275 Radial, 8.77@159
Old 01-10-2016, 12:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 537 Likes on 383 Posts

Is you limited to a radial only ?
If not try a stiff sidewall tire and another thing is consider calling/looking at serious supension shops such as Madman Racing or Larson Race cars.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
Is you limited to a radial only ?
If not try a stiff sidewall tire and another thing is consider calling/looking at serious supension shops such as Madman Racing or Larson Race cars.
Yea I'm limited to a radial no larger than a 305 I'd like to cram a 295 or 305. Under the truck but I haven't been able to make it work with what's it doing so I really want to eliminate problems as they come up hoping that changing things only makes it better and not adds to the problems I already had any advice on the front springs I don't have a video of the truck because I go to the track usually just me but I know that I can't tell or feel the front coming up at all that's why I feel like the weight transfer is pretty much as little as possible the front is set to 90/10 I really think my front springs are either weak or not right
Old 01-10-2016, 02:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Weak springs aren't always a bad thing if they let the front rise easily.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Weak springs aren't always a bad thing if they let the front rise easily.
That never registered to me till now I guess I just thought they were to weak to push up on the truck when I accelerate. So I think my plan is to take out sway bar try some scales on the rear of the truck set my traction bars up from scratch and I'm going to remove my shocks and check them someone in another thread said they had to cycle there's several times before they started working like they were supposed to when u adjust the settings I didn't do that I just set mine and installed them and haven't made but like 8 passes most at low speed from all the wheel spin. I k ow these trucks have the ability to many ppl have done it with kick *** results. So I'll keep at it anymore insight is welcomed I'll post up what I figure out and the first video I make I'll post
Old 01-10-2016, 04:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Try strapping in 2-3 cinderblocks near the tailgate and see how that works.

Sounds like it's not transfering weight.....and also try about 18psi in the tires.

DIY Caltracs....are the bars level, pointing up, pointing down ?
Old 01-10-2016, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a video in profile when it launches.
Does the chassis rise at the axle (vs. horizontal) or squat?
Old 01-10-2016, 06:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Doug G
Try strapping in 2-3 cinderblocks near the tailgate and see how that works.

Sounds like it's not transfering weight.....and also try about 18psi in the tires.

DIY Caltracs....are the bars level, pointing up, pointing down ?
The bars at pointed upwards toward the front of the truck I only have about 2 inches between my mounts Under axles for my bars and the ground. And I have about 5 1/2 inches to the bottom of the bracket at the leaf spring mount

Quick Reply: Turbo s10 smokes tires out of ideas