Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with safety items for upcoming racing season

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with safety items for upcoming racing season

Soon my DD truck will be getting some work done, and it should be running in the 10-11 second range. This will require me to add a bunch of safety items, and want to make sure I have them all covered in order to pass tech inspection, and give me piece of mind.

1. Driveshaft safety loops: Since my truck has a 2 piece driveshaft, will I need 2 loops?

2. Aftermarket axles with c-clip eliminators: Are these required?

3. Transmission blanket/shield: My truck will be supercharged, so do I need the SFI 4.1 or another version?

4. Transmission flexplate and bell housing: Will these need to be SFI approved?

5. SFI approved harmonic balancer? I'm getting this anyways, but do they ever check for this?

6. Roll bar/5 way harness: Will these be mandatory for me? I think I will need them, but maybe things have changed with modern cars running 10-11s from the factory (Z06, ZR1, ZL1, Hellcat, etc).

7. My wheel valve stems are screw on metal ones, and I still have factory lug nuts. Is that all I need for my street tire setup?

8. Helmet (SFI 31.1A) and Jacket (SFI SPEC 3.2A/1) should work.

9. Will my factory column shifter be OK? Or do I need to install a floor shifter with reverse lockout?

Your input is greatly appreciated, and if I missed anything please let me know. This will be my first time on the track since 2004, and I want to make it as safe as possible. Thank you.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

You say you will be 10/11 second range. It all changes when you go 11.49. If you are 11.50 all they will check is your helmet. If you are sure you will be under 11.50 then they will require roll bar, harness with correct date, and a jacket. Not sure how much they will dig into the car beyond that.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:17 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

To run in the 10 second zone you will need:

C clip eliminated axles with a legal length stud that protrudes past the edge of the rim
Driveshaft safety loop, be a really good idea to have a single piece shaft but if you have to have 2 both need a loop. I would recommend a loop at the front and back of both, but that's not needed. You will need a 5 pt roll bar, I would put a 6 in to tie it up better
You will need an Sfi balancer, flexplate, and Trans blanket. You will need a 5 pt harness, shifter if it's not stock has to have reverse lockout and neutral safety for starting. If you are using a stock shifter and a 4l80 for example you can leave the factory column shifter if you have the computer shifting it. Front studs need to protrude past the lip of the wheel, have to have a battery shutoff if it's not in stock location.

That will cover you to 10.00, soon as you go 9.99 the ante gets raised with a whole bunch more
Old 02-15-2016, 08:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you both for the input.

Quick Reply: Help with safety items for upcoming racing season