Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When exactly is cage required

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 07:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
No offense but I am also a commercial driver with right at 30 years under my belt and driving a truck and driving a race car have absolutely nothing in common unless you use your truck to trailer the car to the strip. I drive on snow and ice also but not at over 130 mph and I also do so knowing that it's going to be slippery, Getting loose at high speed isn't the same at all.
It's your choice to go without a cage but it's also the tracks choice to ban you and they likely will.
Thanks for your opinion, but we will agree to disagree. And thanks for informing me that it's the tracks decision to remove me from the track, should the car run faster than the guidelines allow. Would have never guessed.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why did you ask the question if you never had any intent on installing one anyway?
Old 03-26-2016, 08:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Hi-Po
Why did you ask the question if you never had any intent on installing one anyway?
To see if track officials focused strictly on E.T or mph.....or a combination. If you go back and read the original post, you will see that it....and this reply are very similar. Now, if I had asked about installation, or how much caging cost....then I could see why you asked this question.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Game ova
Won't be at the track every weekend, as those days are behind me. Not that I'm opposed to it I just don't have the time.

would not be piloted by someone that doesn't "know when to lift" talk what they don't know. Imagine that. Billy bad ***.....now I remember why it's extremely rare that I post. Ahh yes, Supposed grown ups that still engage in pre school name calling.
To see if track officials focused strictly on E.T or mph.....or a combination. If you go back and read the original post, you will see that it....and this reply are very similar. Now, if I had asked about installation, or how much caging cost....then I could see why you asked this question.
I read your first post, and your posts thereafter, on which, the question came to me. I just figured you knew, or should know based on your previous track days and your million plus miles. Plus, you "know when to lift". These things point to experience at the track.

Don't start a gofundme when your *** is burnt like a summer sausage!

Last edited by Hi-Po; 03-26-2016 at 08:17 PM. Reason: ...
Old 03-26-2016, 08:20 PM
TECH Junkie

"BTW this is the fastest car I've owned to date, so I've never had this issue over the years." Yup, just as I suspected.....you either didn't read, OR didn't comprehend. Probably the latter. The million miles were not nhra lol. Ok, I'm done.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Basically their is no answer to your question, Depending on the track they can ask you to leave for any number of reasons and it could be based on any number of things. To fast mph or et, Even the potential to run to fast at some tracks will not even get past tech. Someone shows up with a blown big block with three nitrous kits and no cage they will probably tell you to come back when the car is finished lol. They want you at the track but not if they think you are liability. You go out and do a killer 60' they may send you packing, You go to fast they may send you packing. What fun will it be to go to the track with a fast car knowing your not going to be able to run it to it's potential?
Old 03-27-2016, 01:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My way of looking at it is that mph is just the byproduct of my et and 60'. It's only use to me is to identify issues if I'm not running as fast as I should. If my ET and 60' are good then mph is just supplemental. Also what I've noticed is that the worse the 60' and launch tends to be, the faster the overall mph will be. So keep that in mind that if you did work for a great launch you may find that your mph will go down a few. This is why most people including myself consider ET > MPH.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I both want to add to this post and also not want to waste my time. LOL

I am not trying to slam you about your attitude, and yes, its an attitude you have that is preventing you from keeping yourself and others around you safe. Its pure arrogance. The guys here are only trying to keep you and others safe.

I also had a Class A cdl. And no, driving an out of control truck is not the same as an out of control car at 150mph. I have raced for over 25 years myself and have been as high as a low 7 second 1/4 at 200mph in my dragster and have lines up with 25 cars on both asphalt and dirt tracks. Things happen much faster as these higher speeds. Things on public roads at normal speeds are slow motion in comparison.

Chassis also get fatigued. It can run fine on one hit and then the next turn left when it shifts. You never know. The cage and chassis work will help this from happening.

Again, I am not trying to knock you down but rather trying to keep you and others safe. Yes, lots of guys run fast cars without cages or the right safety gear. I see it all the time. A guy rolls up in a 10 second car with a helmet and jacket but then has on a pair of blue jeans and tennis shoes. I guess only the upper half is important to him.

So in the end, what is going to cost more money? A cage with full safety gear at about 4k maybe or up to 100k or more ( if it doesn't kill you ) in hospital bills when you finally realize your amount of control is an illusion.

Good luck to you either way you wish to go.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe NHRA rule is 11.49 to the 1/4 or quicker needs at least a 6pt roll bar. 9.99 or quicker requires an 8pt cage.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP, it is not your skill as a driver that is in question, or that should be the deciding factor on when to get a cage. I do mostly 1/8th mile racing around me, and I will have to say that my car didn't start to scare me until it trapped at or over 115 in the 1/8th. Up until then I had no roll cage. But it was at that point, on one of my passes that I though, "Man, if for some strange reason, my tie rod broke, and my front wheel turned the car hard left into the wall, that would be the end of everything for my car, and possibly me. " So that is when I put a cage in my car. And now, I am soo glad I did. I feel much more safe in the car, and can really "stretch my legs" as far as et and mph go. Now.... I am about to outgrow the 8.50 10pt cage I have in the car. Which I guess is a blessing and a curse. lol

Also, obviously the only reason somebody would NOT do a cage that I could think of, is money. I guess there are people that don't want to clutter up their interior, but I don't think their reasoning is valid at all, so I don't consider it. lol. But with this being said, this is the cage I put in my car. It is really affordable, it passed an NHRA cage certification, and at the end of the day, it is a well put together and strong, safe cage. So maybe this will make you reconsider.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Jegster/550/94...rentProductId=
Old 03-28-2016, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

I cannot refute anything that you said, because you are absolutely right. With that being said, it's a chance that I'm willing to take. Some people smoke, some people sleep with anything that moves etc. My walk on the wildside is clicking off crazy trap speed, then driving home with the Ac and music going. Is it risky? Absolutely.
What does ac and music have to do with a roll cage? Some things are out of your control, no matter how much experience you have you won't be able to recover. You may be a lucky one that never has an issue though.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
What does ac and music have to do with a roll cage? Some things are out of your control, no matter how much experience you have you won't be able to recover. You may be a lucky one that never has an issue though.
Ac and music has to do with the vehicle being a 100% true street car. No race car tricks, not a gutted shell, skinnies.....etc.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

If there is nothing worth protecting in the driver seat no cage is necessary.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Ask about cage then said won't ever put cage in car. "Car track straight" etc. **** happens everyday and not good ****. Up to you on how much your life is worth.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:52 PM
9 Second Club

I find it troubling that he is only considering himself in this reasoning. Not only does this sort of attitude create an unnecessary risk to the other drivers at the track, but he is oblivious to existential factors that could cause him to wreck. As I've said before, it's not uncommon for another car to lay fluid down at the traps which regardless of your big rig experience, it will not keep you from hitting the wall. Furthermore if his life isn't worth the value of safety equipment then he's probably going to be one of those guys that doesn't care if he hoses down the track because it doesn't effect him directly anyway.

That is why people have a problem here and after reading a few of the comments and reading between the lines that is exactly what people are getting at.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:32 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a good example of a small part of the process of natural selection. Typically idiots die before they can contaminate the gene pool. lol
Old 03-29-2016, 03:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Blown06
This is a good example of a small part of the process of natural selection. Typically idiots die before they can contaminate the gene pool. lol
Typically, idiots have half naked women as their profile pic.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Hey now I like that pic
Old 03-29-2016, 10:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, I like full naked better anyway. LOL
Old 03-30-2016, 09:06 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blown06
lol. I see guys like the OP all the time on Runday Sundays.

OP- ask your wife if she is ok with you not wanting to add something to the car that may save your life.

-Mark

Quick Reply: When exactly is cage required