Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best method to trimming edge off of VFN pin on hood?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Best method to trimming edge off of VFN pin on hood?

What's everybody doing to go about this? I don't want to screw a perfectly good hood up because I have never done this. So how are you guys installing these hoods? I also have the racecraft rails for the hood for my 02 Camaro. What's the best method to doing a clean install of the hood using these? Thanks in advance. Trevor
Old 07-18-2016, 05:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh man you in for a ride. This takes time and PATIENCE!!.

First install the rails..

This is how I did it:

First place the hood on the rails and alignt the hood as how you would like it to end up as. Then put a good quality tape that wont fall off (I used electric tape) from the fender to the hood. 3 on each side and 2 or 3 on the bottom of the hood to the bumper. So on doing this you have taped the hood to the bumper at the alignment you wish to keep.

Now cut the tape where the fender and hood meet on all side. What this does is it keeps a point of reference for alignment everytime you have to remove and put the hood on the rails again. You basically align it by the tape.

Put another tape of a different color to avoid confusion horizontal to the radius of the main holes of the rails.

Trace a line from the middle of the rails main holes (where the thingy hooks on) to the fender. Do the same for the little holes where the rivets go.

Now put on the hood on the rails and trace over that same lines from the fender onto the hood. Now you have a exact horizontal reference where the holes are to be made.

Now remove the hood again.

Measure from the fender to the center of the hole on the rails how far that is. Do this for all 3 holes (2 rivets , 1 main hole).

Put the hood back up and on that horizontal line you traced make a dot with your pencil according to the measurements you took before.

Voila now you know exactly where your wholes should be made.

Get yourself those little diamond packages in Harbor Freight for a dremel and start with small hole on all 3 points. Then start increasing the size of the main hole little by little.

I could take some pictures if you prefer togive you a better idea. Some others might have done it differently but I found this to be very precise as to where I to make the holes which was the thing I was most worried about...

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Best method to trimming edge off of VFN pin on hood?