Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any SAM grads??? (School of Automotive Machinists)

Old 07-30-2016, 08:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any SAM grads??? (School of Automotive Machinists)

Hello, I've been researching this school for a hot minute now. I'm starting the process to enroll and I wanted to hear from some grads? All the reviews I've read have been from years back and I wanted to see soon current ones. Also if this is posted in the wrong section please move it mods, I didn't know where I should post it.

Thanks Brandon
Old 07-30-2016, 12:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm one of hundreds on this site. Many shop owners and employees of top shops, manufacturers, and race teams started at the school. It's the only one out there actively fielding cars in races and they're working hard on their Copo program right now.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not to bring up an old thread but I'm really curious too, separating from the military in '18. Already talking to a rep there and taken the BMCT but I'm really curious about the surrounding area and what sections to look at. Will be buying a house (post 9/11 GI Bill ) but how far are most guys driving to school? We'll be looking for some space as I have a 3rd gen, 4th gen, car trailer, a Silverado & the wife's civic

Thanks for all the replies & insight!!
Old 01-05-2017, 06:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as location goes, it's on the northwest side of Houston. Your location would depend on your budget and tolerance for traffic and commuting. What's your budget?

For location stuff you might want to post in the Texas forum. You can get a good house for the money around Houston but property taxes are high and traffic can get frustrating. There are good residential areas not too far away from the school. I recommend you rent for a while before you buy to get the lay of the land.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:53 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob M
Not to bring up an old thread but I'm really curious too, separating from the military in '18. Already talking to a rep there and taken the BMCT but I'm really curious about the surrounding area and what sections to look at. Will be buying a house (post 9/11 GI Bill ) but how far are most guys driving to school? We'll be looking for some space as I have a 3rd gen, 4th gen, car trailer, a Silverado & the wife's civic

Thanks for all the replies & insight!!
I grew up in the area and have had many dealings with them over the years. I took a little bit different path and instead of paying to learn, I was able to get a job at a race oriented automotive machine shop in the area right out of high school and worked there for about 10 years. I liked the ideal of getting paid to learn instead of paying to learn. They are good people over there and have turned out some good talent, but remember this (and it is the most important thing if you decide to go there)........you get out what you put in. I've seen some complete morons come out of that place and I've seen some really talented guys come out of that place. You are not gonna be spoon fed, so work your *** off, study as much as you can, use the resources available and take advantage of the senior staff.

The automotive machining business is a tough road, especially if your end goal is to own a shop. The staggering cost of quality equipment in an industry where labor rates haven't increased proportionately over the last 15 years or so make for a "hard to survive business model". Your passion and quality real estate negotiating/representation is the only way to make it work and don't plan on getting rich (at least not in the near future). You also need to factor in and plan on ending up with a rather large tuition bill at the end that needs taken care of. They have some tuition assistance programs and I'd recommend doing anything you can to take advantage of that as well.

I got out of the machining business about 10 years ago as I needed to make more money. I own my own real estate consulting firm and am also a residential and commercial agent. If you are moving here and serious about pursuing, I can help you get settled in to a home (rent or buy, doesn't matter) while you are here and then when you are done, I also focus a great deal on commercial tenant representation. What this means for you is that I can help you get set up with a commercial shop space, negotiating the best deal to suit your needs.

Just an offer if you need any help let me know. Thanks.

This goes for anyone in Texas needing representation in the real estate world.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Blown06,

Thank You for the response! At Gesto's recommendation Instarted a separate thread but I had to reply to your insight and offering advice and help when the time comes. Your experience speaks volumes and I can't thank you enough for taking the time to talk about it, the industry and what You've seen personally. I honestly don't think I'd see myself wanting to "own" my own business (at least not any time soon) but I know in my heart that I have to "go for it" when it comes to this. It's been a dream for about 10 yrs, just after I had gotte mil orders to come here to Charleston my first enlistment was about 1 year or so from ending and I contacted the school, got the info brochures and all... Next thing ya know I got sent to do convoys (Sep 07-May 08) got back and was promoted just months before I was supposed to be out. But life has its way, w/4+ yrs of sobriety, the military just not "doing it for me" anymore I feel that "itch" really strong again to pursue this crazy dream....I don't know, but if I don't atleast Try, I will never know lol. Anyways sorry for the rant, just wanted to thank you for everything!

Rob

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any SAM grads??? (School of Automotive Machinists)