Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what are rules about hatch/targa holder covers if the hump is removed? NHRA?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 03:01 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default what are rules about hatch/targa holder covers if the hump is removed? NHRA?

I was looking at this member who have done weight reduction and have removed the back hump for the targa and welded what look like mild steel sheets. See pic in the bottom.

I was trying to find the rules and regulation(to be able to pass tech inspection at the drag strip) about what material can be used.

I was thinking instead of sheet metal what about a sheet of fiberglass bolted on?
or maybe even a sheet of aluminum bolted on?
it may not be much but if your going through all that trouble it might be worth a couple of pounds.

the other case scenario is what if a fuel cell is under there would I HAVE to use sheet metal or would fiberglass still be ok?(if i want the fuel cell to be under a cover with filler routed to stock location.)

just trying to find some safety and regulation as I would hate to get to the strip and not pass inspection because of acouple of lbs savings.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as I know, the only rules for thickness relate to firewalls. I don't think there is a rule for what you speak of.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the rear, all there has to be is "tin" to seal up the area. No specific thickness required to my knowledge.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Personally, I'd keep like kind of materials. Fiberglass will stick to metal for a while but they will separate.

Tack some thin sheetmetal and try to pass tech like that. Or better yet call the track and ask the inspector.

Quick Reply: what are rules about hatch/targa holder covers if the hump is removed? NHRA?