Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What not to do(and do) at the track

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 06:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I know a turbo car in the other lane I light both immediately every time... Especially if we're on the 7 second auto start.

Curtosey is nice and all until there's $ involved.

Curtosey makes a guy hat has to build boost have a chance to get his car spooled up and have time to then bump
It into the 2nd light. Also guys with stick cars it's a little harder to get into the beans where they like so going at it slowly assists them.

I normally will adhere by this curtosey rule unless I'm in it for $ then if I can throw them off their game I will do it every time.
Gotta be careful doing that, I've seen bad things happen when people play games like that.
Really comes down to if autostart is enabled. If its not then it doesn't matter about the 7 second time out. Car's like ours comes up onto the chip in 3.5ish seconds so we don't really have to worry about being time'd out
Old 09-09-2016, 07:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 357 Likes on 248 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Im glad you said that. I courtesy stage because that's what I was taught, but why do we do it? Is there a disadvantage to the other driver if you go ahead and get staged all the way?
I also always courtesy stage but was wondering the same thing.......
Old 09-09-2016, 07:25 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by a05c
Gotta be careful doing that, I've seen bad things happen when people play games like that.
Really comes down to if autostart is enabled. If its not then it doesn't matter about the 7 second time out. Car's like ours comes up onto the chip in 3.5ish seconds so we don't really have to worry about being time'd out

I'm not scared. Comes to anything that's on the autostart program... I guarintee I'm in and double bulbing the other guy, I've specifically practiced getting thru the burnout and staged fast just for this reason.

And if it's not.... I'll sit there with one bulb lit for a day and a half especially if I hear a car spoiling in the other lane and he bumps it up in..... I'll wait a good 30 seconds, or until I hear him drop it, then I'll light the 2nd.

When $ is on the line..... $ is $ and a win is a win. Sorry to say, but it doesn't matter how or by how much you win. This is RACING, goal is to WIN.

In the same sense that people take advantage of every rule there is..... I do the same at the starting line. Expensive hobby, and I like to take every opportunity to make it pay for itself... Sad thing is I do this **** even if I know I have a race in the bag.... No athiest in a fox hole and there's no honor amongst grudge racers
Old 09-11-2016, 09:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm pretty new to drag racing and I've enjoyed reading this. I had no idea about courtesy staging.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:03 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm not scared. Comes to anything that's on the autostart program... I guarintee I'm in and double bulbing the other guy, I've specifically practiced getting thru the burnout and staged fast just for this reason.

And if it's not.... I'll sit there with one bulb lit for a day and a half especially if I hear a car spoiling in the other lane and he bumps it up in..... I'll wait a good 30 seconds, or until I hear him drop it, then I'll light the 2nd.

When $ is on the line..... $ is $ and a win is a win. Sorry to say, but it doesn't matter how or by how much you win. This is RACING, goal is to WIN.

In the same sense that people take advantage of every rule there is..... I do the same at the starting line. Expensive hobby, and I like to take every opportunity to make it pay for itself... Sad thing is I do this **** even if I know I have a race in the bag.... No athiest in a fox hole and there's no honor amongst grudge racers
Being a guy with a turbo car, I always go in second if there is a nitrous/blower car in the other lane. I won't even start spooling until I see that bottom light come on in the other lane. If they don't want to go in first, then we would will a good old fashioned Warren Johnson Pro-stock staging duel

I had a friend I was helping run his car a couple weeks ago that burnt his converter up on this kind of stuff. He is relatively new so he spooled and bumped his car in while the nitrous car he was running was only in the first beam. That guy let him sit on the chip for a good 4-5 seconds before he rolled in the second beam. Nitrous car backfired about 300' out and we still got the win, but it cost him a converter. So in the end, noone really won. Both ended up with hurt racecars

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 09-12-2016, 09:27 PM
Race your car!

See now that I know that about you.... If we lined up at a race with an autostart I'd have my lights lit before you even started your burnout lol.

Everyone can be messed with on the starting line one way or another... It's about knowing what your opponent likes to do and doesn't like to do.

Nitrous car, turbo car there's ways to throw people off their game. All depends on what your "normal" procedure is, and what you can deal with as a driver and not let it get to you.

Most people, see someone double bulb them get in a stupid rush and end up screwing up somehow, the turbo car well you know what I do with those lol.

Sometimes I'll just go deep once all 4 bulbs are lit as some people try to do the same and go too far.....

I built my car with a couple "tricks" with the front end that you won't notice without a tape measure so I have additional room to "play". ;-)
Old 09-12-2016, 11:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I try not to double bulb, really prefer to flicker the bottom bulb so my rollout stays consistent.

However there is that handful of regulars that get double bulbed. Im bracket racing so it just comes down to what's more beneficial to me, having my routine, or you not having yours.

T&T and qualifying I always courtesy stage.

I guess my biggest pet peeve is cherry pickers at the back of the lanes. The way my track runs, you're not getting paid until the semis. Even then it's your entry fee so don't sit there waiting on the new guy to roll up and go hell busting through the lanes to pair up with him. Ironically my favorite part is when that plan backfires.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
Being a guy with a turbo car, I always go in second if there is a nitrous/blower car in the other lane. I won't even start spooling until I see that bottom light come on in the other lane. If they don't want to go in first, then we would will a good old fashioned Warren Johnson Pro-stock staging duel

I had a friend I was helping run his car a couple weeks ago that burnt his converter up on this kind of stuff. He is relatively new so he spooled and bumped his car in while the nitrous car he was running was only in the first beam. That guy let him sit on the chip for a good 4-5 seconds before he rolled in the second beam. Nitrous car backfired about 300' out and we still got the win, but it cost him a converter. So in the end, noone really won. Both ended up with hurt racecars
we carry 2 gal of fuel, it can idle forever.. it'll start to get hot engine temp wise but trans won't care until we get hung on the trans brake... Bad experience with that..

4-5 seconds on the brake isn't all that long, after 7 seconds it starts to get me concerned, if I count to 10... I'm yelling at the starter at that point. We got burnt down realllllly bad a few weeks ago.
Track "disabled the auto start because people kept tripping and messing the system up".

all I'm gonna say is.................. 18 seconds.
Trans was hot.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

See now that I know that about you.... If we lined up at a race with an autostart I'd have my lights lit before you even started your burnout lol.

Everyone can be messed with on the starting line one way or another... It's about knowing what your opponent likes to do and doesn't like to do.

Nitrous car, turbo car there's ways to throw people off their game. All depends on what your "normal" procedure is, and what you can deal with as a driver and not let it get to you.
Any starter with common sense, would back you out of the beams. I've seen people get disqualified if they double bulb other competitors.

We like to normally talk with our competitor and see if they have any preference or anything. You know, give the courtesy, a lot of whom we race with are well known and racers that have been doing this along time and have their car's figured out.

Majority of the time you go up to the line and do your thing. Don't worry about the other guy, focus on the tree, what you have do to and Do Work.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:21 AM
Race your car!

7 second auto start, u less rules say the curtosey is required... It's not and they may not move ya.

When running our index class all the cars are mostly big block and small block nitrous cars or big n/a motor stuff so there's not a whole lot you can do other than play the deep game and try to screw with guys that way.

Grudge stuff though I'm screwing with the other guys head. One way or another.... I know what I have in the bag within a tenth pretty much all the time and unless you had dead reliable info you have no idea what the other guys car runs.... It's all n/t just a win light, so anything I can get, I'll take it.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:42 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I support your right for marriage equality and all, but double bulbing a guy to try and time him out or melting down the other guys car is the gayest thing I've ever heard of.

Last edited by willizm; 09-13-2016 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:26 AM
Race your car!

You've never raced for any real $ have you.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:32 AM
9 Second Club

I've raced for more than you could afford pal. $50. Get on my level breh
Old 09-13-2016, 10:27 AM
Race your car!

Lol you're a funny guy.

Care to put some $ on the table then?
Old 09-13-2016, 11:40 AM
9 Second Club

It depends on what services I'm buying from you. ******* or handy?
Old 09-13-2016, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Old 09-13-2016, 12:46 PM
Race your car!

No service chief I'd like to line that pokey car of yours up if be happy to show how slow it is, I'll even give ya the hit... If ya think it will make a difference lol.

You're not a racer you have no clue what starting line games are even about

Quick Reply: What not to do(and do) at the track